4A-FE

male_timaru, Jul 23, 5:50am
how good how reliable and how easy to find a replacement engine, remove and replace!

87 Corolla FX Si hatch

wimwom, Jul 23, 6:17am
Been looking for a engine for 6 months, not prepared to spend $600 or more on a car of that age!Mines a 92 corolla se-g, goes well for what it is. Considering it was on it's last legs when i got it it has been amasing.

aredwood, Jul 23, 8:26am
Can't think of anything major reliability wise. My 89 corolla used to have the 4A-F (twin cam carby) Drove it for over a year with a leaking head gasket before it blew badly enough to make it overheat. If you are thinking of replacing it with a 4A-GE the 4A-GE has an 8 bolt flywheel and the 4A-F has a 6 bolt (assume the 4A-FE is the same as the 4A-F). If you need a new 8 bolt flywheel get one out of an AE100 corolla they use a 212mm diameter clutch disc instead of a 200mm diameter yet they still have the same size ring gear ect so will bolt in and you can still use the same starter and gearbox.

steve98h, Jul 25, 8:23am
4a-fe is a great little motor, regular oil changes and wil go forever

doug207, Jul 25, 1:02pm
My father runs one as a work car, 440,000km last time I checked, runs smooth, quiet and boring. Only issue the car had was a cracked radiator at circa 350,000km. I had a NZ new '91 AE92 4A-F (cab model) with just touching 300,000km, ran great, very quiet and boring.

petermcg, Jul 26, 8:36am
I think you can fit the 4age using the pressure plate from the donor motor and the origonal clutch plate from the car

wimwom, Jul 26, 8:41am
I looked into that for mine but came across people saying that both the computer and loom also needed changed.Great wee cars but not worth much now so investing $600 plus on another motor doesn't stack up for many.

aragorn2003, Jul 26, 9:04am
So I take it they were boring! LOL