Midplate . who's using one? And .

trader_84, Jul 25, 8:22pm
do you support the arse end of the trans (at the normal location) using something solid, normal (poly) mount or nothing at all! Nothing at all! - surely not. Its a manual set up with a hydraulic throwout bearing. I've been thinking the only implication would be the front input spiggot not engaging the crank bush by the thickness of the midplate! Thoughts!

attitudedesignz, Jul 25, 8:50pm
In one of my HQs i had a very stout 302 and M22. I used a plate but yes also a trans' mount, i wouldn't solid mount the trans' purely for the fact of vibrations mate.

What i did to combat the input shaft length was machine off the thickness of the plate from the bellhousing, was 4mm.
Made the bellhousing thinner but because of the fact i DIDN'T solid mount the trans' at the rear i never had a problem with it cracking.

modie61, Jul 25, 8:51pm
Do you mean the sandwich plate between the engine and trans !

wimwom, Jul 25, 8:54pm
302 IN A HQ .!

attitudedesignz, Jul 25, 8:54pm
WHAHAHAHA i knew someone would question it.

Research 302 chev'.

modie61, Jul 25, 8:56pm
Ok with you now. What about starter engagement ! Is that altered !

wimwom, Jul 25, 9:04pm
Will too, cheers.I had mates with a 400 in aXA a few years back so know anything's possible.

attitudedesignz, Jul 25, 9:06pm
Nope.well not in my case because it bolts to block.

trader_84, Jul 25, 9:09pm
Yeah mate, a mounting plate between the motor and box. The starter is not affected I don't think . it is mounted on the motor side and the flywheel position remains unchanged. I was just wondering about whether the box is supported via the normal means in addition to the plate.

attitudedesignz, Jul 25, 9:12pm
YES most definatly use a trans mount, but don't use a solid mount. I'd use a standard rubber mount if i was to do it again, soaks up any vibrations and easily replaced.

trader_84, Jul 25, 9:13pm
Dude, what end of the bellhousing did you take the 4mm away from . I'd say the rear face where the box bolts up to . but I'm guessing, so at the risk of sounding dumb, what end! I might have to look at some other way of doing things . my scattersheild is steel and its not that thick to start off with anyway. Hmmmm.

attitudedesignz, Jul 25, 9:15pm
I machined it off the face where bellhousing meets block. That way everything stays in the correct place.

trader_84, Jul 25, 9:19pm
Yep, ta.

trader_84, Jul 25, 9:23pm
I take it some amount of fabricating needs to be undertaken (no problem) . I guess in order to allow the motor to be removed leaving eveything else in place might require some longer than stock dowels turned up or something - to allow everything to slide back into correct position. How did you find the 4mm plate worked! I was think of using 4 or 5mm plate myself.

mrfxit, Jul 25, 9:42pm
Why oh why would you ever consider solid mounting a trans tail, never mind not mount it at all.
Rock/ paper/ scissors, Dude.
Which do you want first, breakage/ instability/ comfort

paul861, Jul 25, 11:01pm
400 clevland!

mrfxit, Jul 25, 11:20pm
LMAO . yea ok but going from what was said in the 1st post, it wasn't clear to me that it appears to be for a drag , not street car.
Or should that be "in drag" ;-)
& thats MR . cooter to you ;-)

attitudedesignz, Jul 25, 11:27pm
Trader, is that going in a willys! If so then yes yes yes use a rubber trans mount.

trader_84, Jul 25, 11:56pm
Yeah mate, its destined to go going into that straight axle car. Its an aftermarket block but still features the standard 426 mounting system (which is different from a 440, dammit!) This said, Its easier to hang these things off a plate in the front (you're allowed to according to the Hobbycar Technical Manual) but I was wondering about what happens with the rear. Plus I am looking at incorporating a midplate because I have a couple of different engines I can use. I don't mind solid mounting in/for the street . its not as though I am going to be doing any miles in it. Its a toy mate.

bill-robinson, Jul 26, 2:22am
measure how far the input shaft goes into the spigot bearing. subtract 4mm and see how much is left. if you still have a reasonable amount in the bearing (ie more than half) do not worry just bolt it up and go for it.

gmphil, Jul 26, 5:24am
I read that too in wondered how many more post it would be b4 lol

bent_ate, Jul 26, 5:54am
There is such thing as a 400 cleveland

pieman33h, Jul 26, 8:20am
we hang the gearbox off the firewall in the stockcars, no rear mounts, Pays to stud the back of the block, that way you can just slide everything over the studs, and not try to line up bolt holes.
And with the heavy sideways impacts the stockcars take, you do get the occasional case failure, tho if you take the same impact in a street type car i imagine gearbox case failure will likely be your least worry!

wimwom, Jul 26, 8:23am
It was a chev motor and done to cause a stir. The two brothers who did it were trying to open a performance workshop. This was in the mid/late 80's.