4g63t running on 2 cylinders

bbrown00, Jul 25, 7:57am
Needing some suggestions. Have an 89 VR4 that is now running on 2 cylinders. Over the weekend was running on 4 cylinders until hot then after 20 mins dropped to 2 cylinders.
Since then have changed plugs and leads. No change to end result.
Changed coil pack today and now car will only run on 2 cylinders.

Any ideas!

kingfisher21, Jul 25, 8:01am
Two pistons have holes in them or a severely blown head gasket, give it a compression test.

andy61, Jul 25, 8:03am
Its a Mitsi,it will be a cracked head.

dent, Jul 25, 8:04am
start with a compression test and then work your way back. Find out what your missing. I.E spark or fuel. Is twin coil or single coil!

bbrown00, Jul 25, 8:07am
twin coil. no issues with spark until hot, now none at all for cylinders 1 & 4

bbrown00, Jul 25, 8:11am
I'm wondering wiring to the coil!

splinter67, Jul 25, 8:13am
How Hot did it get

bbrown00, Jul 25, 8:16am
Standard running temp! around 80 - 90

dent, Jul 25, 10:35am
Check for power and signal to the coil. If they are there but no spark has to be faulty coil.

doug207, Jul 25, 12:47pm
+1
Have you checked hot resistance on the coil (assuming it doesn't have cracks) and check the cam angle sensor

alan1111, Jul 25, 7:34pm
Only last week had a customer car with same problem but only running on 3 cylinders. Did a compression test 3 were ok 1 had zip. Did a cylinder leakage test and and i could i dried my hands with the air coming out of the exhaust. Yep pulled head of and burnt exhaust valve.

phillip.weston, Jul 25, 11:17pm
You're showing your ignorance the most here. The DOHC engines don't tend to crack the heads like the early SOHC engines did. I have never come across a cracked DOHC VR-4 or Evo cylinder head ever, nor have I heard of one cracking. Warping if overheated, yes. Cracking no.

phillip.weston, Jul 25, 11:24pm
if 1 & 4 are missing then it's definitely ignition related as those cylinders share the same coil pack (and then another for cylinders 2 & 3).

You may have replaced the coil packs but did you check the ignition transistor/ignitor unit as well! It's mounted on the inlet manifold. It has two circuits inside, one for each coil pack. It's possible one circuit is faulty while the other circuit is fine. Any DOHC Galant/RVR of that era should use the same ignition transistor, and there should be plenty at a wreckers. If it's not the ignition transistor, it could be the ECU itself with leaking capacitors.

motorboy2011, Jul 26, 12:14am
can you swap the coil packs over to see if it make the fault appear on the other 2 cylinders!

flashgordon_nz, Jul 26, 8:22am
phillip weston. you are correct. traced the fault this morning, to the inlet manifold. plug wasn't clipped in properly.