Modern apprenticeships.

Page 1 / 2
happylad3, Jul 24, 7:30am
After just finishing my time as an apprentice automotive machinist (engine reconditioner) I was talking with my workmates, and they were talking about how much harder it is to qualify these days. They said that back when they trained, they had to complete their "hours" then sit an exam at the end. Where as I had to break down every "unit" into about 30 parts and then learn how to do it to a trade level, and then collect 3 job numbers doing that unit. Then get the boss to sign my book to say that he feels that I can do it competently. Which is hard in my workplace, because the boss is out for 80% of the time. And when I approach him, he said he hasn't seen me do it. So won't sign me off. The foreman has no authority to say I am able to do it.

And therefore bosses of today, can pretty much control the rate of progress of their apprentices. Pretty much creating cheap labour, while still charging full rates. Ringing mito doesn't achieve shit, coz they just say its at the bosses descression to wether they think the apprentice is capable.

happylad3, Jul 24, 7:32am
Oh, and I have now resigned from my current workplace. And am moving on to a mechanic workshop. And eventually do an automotive tech apprenticeship.

unbeatabull, Jul 24, 7:47am
Sorry, but your boss is not the only one who can sign it off. Your foreman, supervisor, or any qualified & respectable person in your workplace can sign stuff off.

I went through my time relatively recently and found it really a breeze tbh. I got through in 17 months. I tend to agree with the older guys in our W/S who said it was HARDER back in the day because you had x hours etc to complete first. Hell, the latest version of the apprenticeship that came in start of last year I think! is mostly open book.

franc123, Jul 24, 7:48am
LMAO, FFS you doing a job that the customer is satisfied with that doesn't come back and bite your boss in the backside that you have completed without supervision in a reasonable time is a pretty good indicator that you are competent at doing it I'd have thought, there shouldn't be any dramas in getting things signed off.Sounds like the MITO rep needs a steelcap boot somewhere he won't fancy either, these people are employed to make sure that guys like yourself AND their employers are achieving the objectives. Sometimes the only thing you can do is move on to someone who has a better attitude, goodluck with the new job. Some employers don't realise that the world is rapidly running out of people that want to and can fix things, and get their hands dirty, trust me I've been there.

happylad3, Jul 24, 7:56am
I even rung the mito rep and office. And they all said that because the foreman hadn't signed the training contract, then he wasn't allowed to sign my work off. And they havnt reworked the engine recon apprentice book yet. We are still using the old mito system.

happylad3, Jul 24, 7:59am
This MITO rep is the 4th one for the district in the 3 years of my apprenticeship. One moved to manage another area. And the others are just useless.

zephyrheaven, Jul 24, 8:01am
MITO - sadly so far out of touch with reality in the modern world its not even funny anymore
Such a shame, I saw guys with level 5 certificates when I was a lad that couldnt diagnose a crook fuel pump if it came up & set fire to them - but according to MITO they had all the right smarts to fill the pages

happylad3, Jul 24, 8:34am
Thank you! You really don't know how bad they can be, until you have to deal with a mito rep and boss that don't care, or want slave labour. I'm pretty sure my boss wasnt signing me off, because he knew I was going to leave. But that's his fault for buggering me around. And not giving me any reasons to stay.

tnt423, Jul 24, 9:13am
Same goes with the Competenz, so many problems it wasn't funny, each guy would tell you something different they couldn't even agree on how many hours had to be completed before they would sign you off, the apprentice before me got rung up asking why he wasn't at block course, cos they didn't f*ckn tell him, then they put him on a light fabrication course, 6 of us in my year didn't get put on the 2nd year block course and couldn't do it till the next year so were held back for around 8months, the apprentice after me got the letter to go to block course, but the polytech didn't know anything about it took them two days to sort it on top of that, it wasn't meant to be until later in the year.

unbeatabull, Jul 24, 9:14am
I know how bad MITO can be at times. It just sounds like you struck a bad rep or 3 and your work wasn't as supportive as they should be. My Foreman & W/S Supervisors never signed the contract but I had no problem getting my work signed off. That was a couple years back now though.

And I agree Zephyr. I'm doing my A-Tech stuff atm, and tbh it is not related at all as to the work we actually do in the workplace. I've met a lot of A-Grade/A-Tech mechanics and even people who have done their apprenticeship who couldn't diagnose their way out of a paper bag. Unfortunately though, when looking for employment elsewhere qual's are something they look at and unless you want to work at the same place the rest of your life are handy to have.

beno, Jul 24, 9:39am
Mito is run by women. a few years ago they didnt even want their reps to have any auto experience. They have a "moderation" system whereby everyone gets together to ensure the apprentices are being assessed fairly and equally across the country and to ensure standards are being met. None of the mito reps passed their own standard.nuff said,

happylad3, Jul 24, 9:48am
Haha funny thing that moderation. My boss was one of original writers for y apprenticeship. And is still on the moderation board. And yes I would have to say that I must have struck a bad boss. And hopefully my next boss is better and actually helps me with my training.

marcos1, Jul 24, 10:14am
I'm about to sign off my second successful apprentice in the next month or so.
And I actually have nothing but praise for MITO and the "reps".
They have been supportive, encouraging and proactive on all levels.
It seems that maybe you have come across a couple of duds in the system.

happylad3, Jul 24, 10:41am
Can I just ask how long your last apprentice stayed after he was signed off! Because my boss has done nothing for me to keep me there.

unbeatabull, Jul 24, 7:24pm
My MITO rep was great - and was also someone who has achieved his Apprenticeship, A-Tech and FLM qualifications.

As for getting help from MITO themselves though, they are pretty useless.

marcos1, Jul 25, 5:50am
He was gone within a month. He was offered a new job in a resto and custom paint shop. I actually encouraged him to take it, as it was a great opportunity to expand his skills.

carmedic, Jul 25, 10:07am
Not have a dig but.
What do you think your boss should have/could done/do!
Who paid for your MITO fees!
What were you paid during said apprenticeship and what perks did you get if any!
Really asking as I'm an employer with an apprentice.

happylad3, Jul 25, 10:29am
Firstly I paid ALL associated fees toward my apprenticeship. They didn't even offer any petrol money to get me to my courses etc. I was getting paid min wage for the first year. Then they bumped me up to $15 when the min wage went up to $12.50. Then they promised 6 monthly pay/performance reviews. None of which happened. Even after asking. Then out of the blue, 2 weeks before I was signed off, they suddenly realized I was worth $18 all of a sudden. Perks I get are trade price parts (everyone gets that these days) and use of the workshop tools. Not the machines tho, had to do that through the books. Soo really was given sweet f#%k all.

carmedic, Jul 25, 12:31pm
Ok I??

unbeatabull, Jul 25, 7:21pm
Man, I wish you were my employer carmedic! haha

happylad3, Jul 25, 8:54pm
Cheers carmedic. I agree with the looking after each other. And also that it's not about the money. But when you're 21 with a 200k mortgage. A little bit extra a week helps more than you think.

modie61, Jul 25, 9:05pm
You need to move on to better things happylad3,if only to keep your tm username legit,lol. Go find some greener grass,look after your own interests and pay the bills.
Lifes short mate.

hitman45, Jul 25, 9:30pm
hey happylad done your v8 yet!

happylad3, Jul 25, 10:15pm
I am modie. Changing jobs in a few weeks. Leaving engine recon and ping into mechanic. Should be good.

attitudedesignz, Jul 25, 10:55pm
Bugger this spray painting lark, i'm going to work for carmedic. It's ok mate, i'm Napier born & bred so you won't have to worry 'bout my accommodation. I'll be there next week hehe.