Where to get boot struts?

lolzor123, Jul 22, 10:44pm
Mine can no longer hold the weight of my boot. Can someone recommend somewhere to get new ones from! Thanks

splinter67, Jul 22, 10:49pm
Try giving the strut a little bend makes them work for a while otherwise go towrecker as new one will cost a arm and a leg depending on what sort of car you have

lolzor123, Jul 22, 10:57pm
Haha I've already given them a bend so definitely at the end of their life. Yeah 91 Familia hatchback so will probably end up going to wreckers.thanks

johnf_456, Jul 22, 11:11pm
Just be aware that ones at wreckers will be in similar condition.

kamitchell, Jul 22, 11:21pm
If you can get some off the shelf at Repco of Supacheap is the easiest but if like my Pulsar standard ones don't fit so just Google gas struts or strut regas and you can get them regased. I've done this on 2 sets over the years and works a treat

clark20, Jul 23, 5:24am

gunhand, Jul 23, 5:44am
Good grief, there not that expensive for what they do and how long they last. Stabilus (spelling maybe wrong) will supply or re gas for you, they advise which way is best. And as a rule most common ones are under $100 each.

horsepower7, Jul 23, 8:46am
ring gas fit reco, he coms out and re gasses them

splinter67, Jul 23, 8:58am
so you think spending $200 on boot struts for on a 91 mazda familier is a good idea thats almost what the whole car is worth and if you didnt read the op 2nd post you will see that they have had the custom bend put in them so not able to regas them

sewnup, Jul 23, 9:00am
don white at Gas Strut Sercive works out of Otago Tyres in Hillside Road

gunhand, Jul 23, 9:11am
Well they wanted the boot to stay up dont they! hell a stick would be free. If the cars worth nothing why are they asking and just wreck it instead. And no $200 is F all for anything these days especially on a car. No I didnt see that they bent them already as others didn't either so tell them as well.
And OP asked a question with no mention in first post of car or its worth.
And why would you tell someone to bend the struts, that shags them for sure and some can be regassed for as little as $45 each.Mind you they shagged themselves anyway.

splinter67, Jul 23, 9:30am
Last time I checked getting struts regassed it was a lot more than $45 but thats quite awhile ago and bending them works not everyone has a spare $200 to spend on their car

gunhand, Jul 23, 9:35am
Hmmmmmm, i'd go the stick option then.Sounds like that type of car and owner should be off the road anyway if thats the case, what else is wrong with it!And the OP didnt say they didnt have $200 spare. Maybe they were working out if it was economical to do or not.
I used to send struts away for regassing as part of a job I used to have, and I still say there cheap for what they do, mind you I supose a smack on the head with a falling hatch is cheap to.

johnf_456, Jul 23, 9:39am
200 is nothing, descent cars with wof and rego that are small engined manual are in high demand. Plenty of older cars about, I even have a 80's work hack that I use for a daily. It just refuses to die so I just keep using it.

splinter67, Jul 23, 9:42am
I agree they are cheap for what they do can you remember where the company was that regassed them as I have two that need work before they get the custom bend

gunhand, Jul 23, 9:46am
Stabilus.Should be googlabill.Quick turn over to.

splinter67, Jul 23, 9:50am
cool thanyou

budgel, Jul 23, 9:12pm
I got one from my pile of scrapwood and left it in the back.

lolzor123, Jul 23, 10:31pm
@#19 haha that's doing the job currently.

I will price up a new pair with repco etc and decide. Car is tidy and goes well so would probably spend close to $200 for new boot struts. Thanks for the replies :)

doctor_evil99, Jul 24, 1:06am
I bought a set of Gas Struts for my Toyota. got it from ebay in Australia, $36 AUD which is roughly $48 NZD ($24 + $12 postage) for a set of two.way cheaper than from repco $78 each.