Eyes, sandblasters and stupidity, sort of.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 8:46am
I thought that sort of thing only happened in cartoons!
Glad you are O.K gunhand.
BTW, does your replacement tip solution happen to involve old spark plugs like mine does! (Or is that another redneck Jazz practice to be frowned upon)

gunhand, Aug 9, 8:50am
Um, Old spark plugs! Na we just use the airline male air conectors. They screw into the tap part and are way cheaper than the ceramic things and last alot longer and easy to get.
Oh and I have that slighty sunburnt feeling, but skin feels nice and clean LOL.

aragorn2003, Aug 9, 8:50am
I kind of know how you feel. Used to sandblast glass blocks and the only gloves we had were woolen gloves , which the sand would eat through like butter leaving my baby hands unprotected from the viciousness of sand.

And getting sand in every crack thinkable wasn't cool either

NZTools, Aug 9, 8:51am
That is gold.

Even I had never thunk up that one.

trogedon, Aug 9, 8:51am
Man, glad you're ok. I'd love to have a day with one of those and all my restoration projects parts.

gunhand, Aug 9, 8:53am
Yea the shit gets everywhere. A full time blaster I know useing the big gear uses a full suit etc etc but it still gets in his walletin his jeans and wears his cards out flat stick.

gammelvind, Aug 9, 8:54am
Whew that was a close one, glad no serious injurys.

gunhand, Aug 9, 8:56am
They are very good units if you have very dry sand/media no water in ya lines and a big compressor or lots of time on your hands. Good for small areas like inside doors etc.
You can use the media over and over if you siv it each time.

gunhand, Aug 9, 9:01am
Luck would have it it takes abit of effort to turn tap on full or I would have had a very bad day.I think it would have stripped the lids at the veryleast.ouch. Mate got a shit load of paintstripper blow back on him a while back and got in his eyes, and he was waering glasses, he dosn't recommend that either. About20minswith ya eyes held open being flushed, then done again.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:03am
You will be amazed how easy it is to knock the centres out when you get the knack too. Obviously they screw in and everything if you set your hose up right.

Feel free to give me a discount on my next order in return for that wee morsel!

NZTools, Aug 9, 9:06am
You will have to talk to wifey about that. I manage a farm, (1700 cows) she sells tools.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:08am
Dermabrasion for men who don't wear eye liner. I like it!

Oh, and I like your airline fitting idea, I have some silly small ones I have no use for so might give it a whirl and compare. That should give me a bigger nozzle so might have to wait for the new compressor.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:09am
That's O.K. I was just having a laugh. Very pleased with my brad/staple gun BTW, your wife does a great job of marketing on here too.

roys351, Aug 9, 10:04am
ive got one of them but is red ive used it heaps on a bigger compressor but 12cfm wont run it so just sits in shed now. its a pretty fierce burning sensation when ya put it on ya skin and ive only done fingers

pdc1, Aug 9, 10:20am
so what was your solution for better lasting tips!

bitsy_boffin, Aug 9, 10:26am
A rather difficult rest of your life I'd say more likely, what with the learning braille and all.

Sand blasting one's eyeballs is probably not conducive to retaining one's eyesight.

pup2, Aug 9, 6:56pm
Gun Gun Gun.better work stories lol. Will have to tell Dave about this one man lol

trader_84, Aug 9, 7:33pm
How do you recover the garnet! Does it fall far from where you are doing it! From a DIY perspective . what would be an acceptable way to maximize the re-use of the garnet! My experience in blasting is limited to my cabinate which I am pretty adept at using but I have some bigger stuff I want done and am unwilling to pay through the nose for a pro to do it.

splinter67, Aug 9, 8:50pm
Friend of mine put down black polythene on the ground and swept up most of it then just picked up the rest with the polythene

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 8:54pm
How many CFM is your setup Gunhand, are you on single phase!

I am needing to upgrade my compressor soon, and am hoping the biggest single phase unit I can lay my hands on will run one well, along with ALL my air tools.

pdc1, Aug 9, 9:24pm
What I done jazz is coupling compressors together for big jobs. I've got a 15cfm one that works, but you have to wait around for it having to recharge air pressure all the time. I borrow one that is maybe 12 cfm, and have a homemade one that my dad built many years ago that is maybe 5 Cfm. I just hook them all together (on outlet after air tanks)
If you only have a small part to do, the 15 cfm works fine.

elect70, Aug 10, 2:01am
Need plenty to keep up with air toolsprobably 215 cfmsbiggest ive seensingle phase.2hp motor .

gunhand, Aug 10, 5:41am
Use a 16cfm, its okay for most tools and painting but for sandblasting its to small really but you get a bit done in between the waiting (sweeping the sand up) which is only a minute or so.If we have a big job we hire a large diesel compressor.
And I do it in the booth so sand is contained quite well. Bit of a clean afterward tho.

the-lada-dude, Aug 10, 10:36pm
hey jazz,cast your memory back a few years and you should remember the old air cooled V W engines that ran an air compressor head on one bank and ran on two cyl on the other,man! the could pump up a BIG air receiver in less than 3o sec @ 160 psi .now that's what you guys need !