So expensive to buy an old shitbox

Page 1 / 2
oreillys, Aug 18, 8:50am
To my advantage at the mo selling a nissan navara but shes pretty average apart from mechanics wich are very good.
Are modern cars being made with more built in obseleteness.
Friend of mine bought a modern holden ute cost him 6k in repairs. Dirty diesel was the problem.
You would think a filter would have sorted if they had one.
Are old school better than new!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 18, 8:58am
No, when it comes to diesels new is significantly better, far less maintenance, far better economy, heaps more power and every bit as reliable and long lasting.

However, when it comes to modern Diesels while the Japanese are catching up European is still where the reliability is and the Korean's despite the marketing still have a lot of work to do.

The Europeans have a huge jump on the rest because not only did they develop the modern Diesel, they have been able to pour enormous amounts into R and D and get a return. Because in Europe 60% of the cars sold are Diesels.

Over the same recent history Japan havn't been allowed to sell any domestic consumer diesels because of emission laws. So they just havn't had the numbers, also the Japanese economy has been struggling so their R and D in general has slipped.

Unfortunately though, when you are talking Ute's there is really only the very new Amarok which while being a fantastic vehicle means you have to look at very new.

There are always exceptions to the rule too, while it could be argued that Holdens GM has European connections they are not really in the same league as VW/Mercedes/Fiat/PSA

You are right though about old Japanese Ute's being over priced. Some Hilux's etc are just absurd money.

franc123, Aug 18, 9:01am
Not only dirty diesel but water contamination, its a big no no with modern CR diesels and a killer of the fuel system if you get landed with contaminated fuel from a station (they claim it doesn't happen but it does), the water gets in while on board eg through a poor sealing fuel filler cap or you are slack with fuel handling when refuelling from drums or farm tanks. There have also been instances where the on board warning systems that sense water in the system haven't been calibrated correctly or simply haven't functioned at all. Should add no fuel system likes it but especially CR's.But yes generally modern vehicles are built with a shorter life expectancy and are not intended to be DIY repaired like cars even 20 years ago were.

oreillys, Aug 18, 9:07am
Am i convinsed no! When something goes wrong with my amorak am i going to be able to afford to fix when waranty is gone!
Is my new amorak going to be able to cope with the shit i put my old nissan patrol through.

mm12345, Aug 18, 9:13am
That's just not true.The very things that made old diesels long-lasting have had to be "undone" to meet emissions and fuel economy regulations and expectations.
I could write a long list, and don't deny the improvements in efficiency, economy, and emissions, but this did not come "free".
If you believe what you're saying in terms of what makes sense economically to the average motorist, then you're in la-la land.

net_oz, Aug 18, 9:13am
One moment it's a nissan navara and then it's a nissan patrol. Do you really know what you have!

franc123, Aug 18, 9:13am
You want the REAL bad news! Fuel contamination damage ain't covered by warranty.

granada, Aug 18, 9:24am
We fit 2 micron racor filters to our fleet of CR diesels and these can be changed twice a week in some applications and still have problems, Our diesel supplies can beof dubious quality and we sometimes suck the servo dry when we buy 10,000 litres at a time. Yep 5K Plus to repair

franc123, Aug 18, 9:26am
The only person that is likely to save money is the one who buys it new, takes good care of its servicing, at a cost of course, and gets rid of before too many years and kms have gone past. Everyone else afterward is going to be in a lottery, scrappage rates are going to be very high in the future I'd say unless you can buy pirate injectors and HP pumps out of china cheap.

trade4us2, Aug 18, 9:28am
I wish I still had my 350 Chev. Nothing ever went wrong with the engine.

00quattro00, Aug 18, 9:31am
I think ive got the most reliable diesel vw golf ever made

trader_84, Aug 18, 9:35am
Buy an early 90's lux. They go up a dollar a day, they tolerate abuse and neglect and you don't need anything (or anyone) really special to fix them up if they break.

mm12345, Aug 18, 9:42am
It's not even that good - you have a chance of winning in a lottery, but at some stage, depending on duty cycle and mileage, simple, basic, but essential maintenance on a CR diesel will cost more than the full depreciated value of the vehicle, and that's at lower total km than many of us expect to get out of petrol cars.

bmc460, Aug 18, 10:49am
gota 95 hilux 2.4 2wd , what a piece of crap. ya can watch the fuel gauge going down as you drive along .never seen a diesel so thirsty .my saab petrol gets far better economy so toyota can go , ill never have another crap heap hilux

oreillys, Aug 18, 10:31pm
Yeah i have both but im only selling navara

thejazzpianoma, Aug 18, 11:12pm
Oh yes, and what are those things exactly!

Also, how do you explain the Mercedes Sprinter Courier Vans that do 1.5 Million km's and still command a good price!

The likes of the Fiat Common rail diesels have proven themselves over the last 15 years to do enormous milage with significantly less fuel consumption and maintenance than old fashioned diesels.

This sounds a lot like the tired chest beating of the Hiace/Hilux type crowd who continue to crow about the supposed long life of their engines without realising the rest of the world has long since left them in the dust.

We just don't hear first hand accounts of Fiat Diesel problems on here yet there are plenty of references to Hyundai's that have failed with low km's and Toyota Diesels with cracked heads.

unbeatabull, Aug 18, 11:32pm
Most Euro diesels are rather uninspiring to drive though Jazz. They do what they're designed for and thats about it.

In saying that though. most diesels are rather uninspiring.

nicolaas3, Aug 19, 4:06am
Too many horror stories with diesel fuel systems going dog before even 100k and costing shitloads to fix.
Fantastic technology though - too advanced for our fuel in NZ. Especially when from farm / forest / contractor site tanks. Recommendyou replace fuel filters at every oil change.

3tomany, Aug 19, 4:27am
you forgot to mention that the current model ranger is even better than an amorack

unbeatabull, Aug 19, 4:30am
And it was made in Thailand.

3tomany, Aug 19, 4:32am
the problem is dirty diesol or water and when it has water in the fuel it doesnt matter where it is made it will cost thousands eventually, so to answer op. the old diesol tecknology is more tollerant of bad fuel than new common rail. farmers are having lots of trouble with dodgy fuel tanks on farm and there new common rail tractors

muzzaandmich, Aug 19, 4:54am
treat it with no respect then it's going tofail,,,service it on time andit will do good service.

mm12345, Aug 19, 5:18am
You mean like the OM-602 motor which gave them that reputation!
If you can't work that out, then I'm sorry for you.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 19, 5:21am
No that's the old motor which also lasted well. However the new on lasts even better, is more efficient and requires less maintenance.

chris_051, Aug 19, 5:45am
But designed and developed in Aussie, with a Volvo motor.