Looking at Fiats.

Page 1 / 3
sweetfanny, Aug 14, 5:47am
Has anyone on here had a Fiat Punto Arbath! Looking at down grading to a hot wee hatch, but don't want to spend anymore than $10k.Have never had a Euro car before.Or shall I stick to what I know, Toyota. any thoughts would be welcome

johnf_456, Aug 14, 5:49am
Wait for the euro salesman he will be in to write you a story about them.

jmma, Aug 14, 5:50am
Maybe you could offer some advice in the meantime, Mr(o:

johnf_456, Aug 14, 5:52am
I could but I am not a expert on Fiats, perhaps you could instead (o:

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 5:57am
Hi sweetfanny,
The Punto Abarth is a great wee car, very reliable, parts are cheap and easily available. They are galvanized so no rust issues and very reliable and surprisingly straight foward to deal with.

Don't spend anything like 10K on one though. They can be had as cheap as $4500 for a tidy one and for about 7K you should be getting an absolutely pristine, low km, late model one.

Its just a matter of what is around at the time, sometimes you need to be patient to get a good buy as there are limited ones around.

Remember the HGT is really the same thing as the Abarth so include those in your list too. Take one for a drive as soon as you can and see what you think. They are a proper sporty drive and very Italian, quite different to some of the other Hot hatches of the era.

Feel free to hit me up for what to look for in a good one, where to get parts etc if you decide to take it further. Happy Shopping!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 6:46am
That one is worth a look, but arm twist the seller as that is plenty for a 2001 model.

They are very very different to a Golf GTI (Which I also like) the MK4 Golf GTI is very refined and feels a lot more solid and is a quieter ride. The Punto was a much cheaper car new (Stilo Abarth really competed against the Golf) and is a lot more Go Kart like.

That's why I was saying go and drive one, I think they are great but they are very different to other hot hatch's so you need to see if you like that style of vehicle or not.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 6:50am
What are you driving at the moment!

You may also want to drive a Stilo Abarth, try and avoid a selespeed one though the later manual ones would be the one to get. Not easy to find but best be prepared in case you come accross one.

An Alfa 147 in manual (not selespeed) may also appeal. Those have some more fussy maintenance requirements but are still a good reliable hatch and good value for money. Another one worth driving.

sw20, Aug 14, 7:00am
If you want a euro hot hatch leave the garbage Fiats, the Alfa 147s, and definitely leave the overpriced underpowered VW Golfs off your list.

You are buying an unreliable car, so you may as well get something that will actually be a cracking drive.

Renault Clio Sport.

/end thread.

sweetfanny, Aug 14, 7:06am
At the mo I have a 04 Holden adventurav8.Things have changed fore me and I need to down grade. I love my big V8, but also love a quick hatch, I need something that will also take my dogs.

sw20, Aug 14, 7:07am
Ugh dogs.

Keep the wagon.

sweetfanny, Aug 14, 7:10am
Haha, as long as the backseats fold down its all good. I just don't want the car crapping out every 5 min.

incar., Aug 14, 7:28am
Plenty of thoughts, one just appeared, Tow truck! stick to toyota.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 7:37am
Remember when I said about people without a clue having loud opinions.
The Punto is plenty reliable. Plus, if something does break its likely to be minor cheap to repair stuff that won't leave you stranded.

The Engine/Transmission used in those is about as bullet proof and long life as they come. Just give it a proper cambelt/tensioner/waterpump service when you get it and its hard to go wrong.

Best thing as I said, is to take it for a drive. If you like it come back and I will be more than happy to fill you in on what to look for and check to make sure its a good one.

Happy shopping and don't mind the trolls.

sweetfanny, Aug 14, 7:41am
I rather like the look of the wee punto, will go and take that for a drive me thinks. I just like different cars, much to my familys horror.

splinter67, Aug 14, 7:43am
Another convert Jazz have you thought of starting your own church you could be the next Brian Tamaki LOL

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 7:49am
LOL,
Tempting idea but no, unlike some I would like to have as little explaining to do as possible when my name is called.

incar., Aug 14, 7:50am
thejazzpianoma wrote:
Remember-
when I said about people without a clue having loud opinions.

Lols go for gold, i'll stick to what i know best,repairing and inspecting all types of vehicles for a living

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 7:53am
Good on you for being different!
I will be interested to hear how you find it. Its going to be quite different after what you are used to. If you find its a bit too Go Karty don't throw the hot hatch idea away, the Golf GTI for instance will give you a drive much more akin with what you are used to.

Then again, the nimbleness, raw fun and real Italian drive of the Punto might really appeal.

It will be interesting to find out.

sweetfanny, Aug 14, 7:56am
I like the go-karty feel, Have raced cars for years, so like something that is nimble and handles.

intrade, Aug 14, 8:46am
only problem of that early punto would be the electrical steering rack, probably has been replaced if it failed already , parts are cheap for fiat if you buy them from the right people and they are as good as any japanese car for example they might have a mechanical part fail but a toyota will have a rust hole as the fiat are fully galvansised since after the fiat uno.

sweetfanny, Aug 14, 9:03am
This is all very helpful. thanks.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 9:20am
Steering problems were mostly confined to the 2000 year. Later ones are much less susceptible. Its not end of the world to have fixed especially if you go about it right.

Its one of a few things to check and look for. Happy to do you a buyers guide but was going to save the effort until you decided you liked it.

intrade gives good advice and speaks from experience.

sr2, Aug 14, 12:34pm
Considering he never has in the past why would he break the habit of a lifetime!

whqqsh, Aug 14, 5:34pm
we had a base model '95 & had a good run for 2 years with no problems at all, went well for an 1100, even open road it was quite 'peppy' & would happily buy another (I was a bit annoyed when my wife sold it actually)

shorebee, Aug 14, 11:55pm
citreon vtr or fabia rs