Buying a 2nd hand racecar

martian101, Aug 18, 12:53am
hi, we are looking at purchasing a race car (a production to be precise). what sort of things do we need to look for when checking it out!
the last car i bought had had the motor switched and blew in 3 meetings-id like to avoid that this time ;)
do cars HAVE to have a log book with them,or how do you get a new one!
thanks,

splinter67, Aug 18, 12:56am
Production what ! and why dont you just put a motor in the old one

martian101, Aug 18, 1:20am
sorry its a production saloon, to race at the likes of woodford glen. the old car was a minstock which i sold :)

twink19, Aug 18, 1:20am
what are you considering, who owned it and what history, you could always go and see Dean Buist and get him to check it over for you

splinter67, Aug 18, 1:25am
Yes they have a log book with them but that wont help you check it hasnt been thrashed LOL if they tell you its had one lady owner that drove it to church on sundays they are lying to you

pge, Aug 18, 2:29am
She could have been a lead-footed, petrol-head old tart, with no mechanical sympathy.

bill-robinson, Aug 18, 3:25am
pick it up and pay for it at the end of a meeting when it has performed well. Race teams are bad for swapping parts,the above stops that happening.

kazbanz, Aug 18, 4:32am
martian a race car is always going to be an unknown quantity unless you are in that race circle and have been for a number of years.
That will at least give an idea of how the car was treated and what the scheduled maintainence has been.
Regarding the engine that lasted 3 meetings. Heck I had an engine built for me that lasted 1 meeting. One valve stretched enough to clip a piston and it was goodnight eileen.

clark20, Aug 18, 4:45am
Thing with racecars is that everything wears quickly, like clutches, gearboxes, driveshafts etc so when purchasing fiqure that a lot will have to be done in the near future.

splinter67, Aug 18, 4:45am
This is correctlast stockcar that left us didnt have the full on race motor in it
when we brought it it came with an oversize engine why dont you build your own you will get a lot more satisfaction out of it

martian101, Aug 18, 6:12am
unfortunately building our own car is out of the question for now, so im happy enough with a second hand one.if we could build our own im dreaming of a modified sprint like lindsay hughes' one from chch.unfortunately hubby thinks our mortgage needs to be paid off first :Sthe car is in nelson and we are in chch so makes it a bit hard to check on things. the one thing im quite wary about is the lack of a logbook, or number as it hasnt been raced in 2 seasons! that screams warning bells or im being over paranoid!
i guess we will just go for it,and plan on needing a lot of things done to it before racing.

splinter67, Aug 18, 6:21am
I would ask on macgors if anyone knows of the car. Unless its been sold and the logbook wasn't passed on I would be a bit weary of it as the owner could be trying to hide something good luck

martian101, Aug 18, 6:41am
thanks splinter i really appreciate that. they bought it off a mate of theirs so will try and chase it up as would be very very helpful to have it!
will have a look on macgors now :)

treachug, Aug 18, 10:10am
haha, many years ago my first race motor lasted just one lap.pays to fill the oil filter & prime the oil pump.

treachug, Aug 18, 10:11am
What number car is/was it! What is the owners name!

treachug, Aug 18, 10:17am
You get a new log book when going through pre-season vehicle checking, also the car should have a id tag on roll cage. The head vehicle checker or track steward should be able to supply a new log book if you do not get one.
Dirty trick.swapping parts.like mentioned, its always been recommended to take car away from the track after a meeting, even dirty or damaged.

kaymay88, Aug 18, 10:29am
why not get in touch with the nelson speedway and ask around about the car

saki, Aug 19, 12:00am
Go to the track and if you like a car that is racing offer the owner some dosh, If they accept take the car there and then if the owner wonts to take it home first cancel the deal.