Why so few Surfs and Hiluxes

studio1, Aug 17, 11:36pm
Been keeping an eye on the 'wrecked' vehicles section and there's a general lack of Surfs and Hiluxes being sold complete. Always listed as 'wrecking' or 'parts'.
I'm looking for a 95 onwards one, preferably manual (yeah I know, rare as the proverbial) but I don't care if it's minus the engine, blown headgasket or other issues etc.
There was one on here a while ago and I messaged the guy but he never replied. seems to be the case with a lot of motoring parts listings.
Why people list stuff and don't reply beats me - waste of time listing it in the first place if you aren't going to answer people's inquiries!

flack88, Aug 17, 11:55pm
The Telliban have bought them all from the infidels,and send back to Mecca!Allah be praised.

bubbles244, Aug 18, 12:04am
Simple. They are worth more, which means they are worth insuring, which means they are worth claiming on, which means when they get written off they go to the likes of turners and bought by dismantlers.

on the private side, an engine from a mid 90's hilux will fetch upwards of 3 K if in good nick, 1-2 K if it needs work, Hi milage means nothing to a hilux engine.

You'd be struggling to get that for the whole thing if it is undrivable on the day of purchase.

Then there is trademe. always popular, models like that won't last long, i once listed a vehicle for parts and within two days anything of worth was sold or asked to be held for a sale at a later date.

franc123, Aug 18, 12:41am
^^LMAO turners and NZ wreckers are at the bottom of the pecking order, they're being snapped up through various channels, including being stolen and chucked into containers complete as per #2, they're worth more to them. The only reason prices for the likes of complete engines, boxes, transfer cases etc are high is because they DO blow up, its a myth that any 4cyl Toyota diesel will last forever. They also suffer badly from Toyota Slob Syndrome here and no doubt overseas as well. Ask anyone who sells diesel parts or engines what there is demand for, versus engines that are built much better like Nissan TD27/42's for instance.

bubbles244, Aug 18, 2:38am
not really franc. turners P.N turn them over regularly. go into commercial spares kieth street and they are there.

And what exactly do you call "slob syndrome" is that the fact the surfs get imported with high "Idle" hours and don't last long. which most japanese engines suffer from!
they are commercials after all.

you can get a hilux in any country in the world literally they even use them for daily drivers in antartica. i doubt highly they would be stolen and shipped off shore when it would be easier to acquire one at the supposed destination.

mrfxit, Aug 18, 2:42am
Middle to south Taranaki had a nasty splurge of Hilux's/ Surs going missing late last year.
Were being shipped offshore whole & as parts.

lordv81, Aug 18, 3:09am
Hiluxes,Hiaces,Surfs and any modern 4x4s go to arab lands or there abouts in parts or whole.Keeps the prices high here in NZ so the wreckers love it.

franc123, Aug 18, 5:32am
Yes, a fair number of them disappeared around Canterbury too, along with a few Cruisers and Hiaces. Hiaces were being targeted in Auckland as well. It was obvious that they were being stolen to order. If nothing is being recovered you have to wonder where it is ending up.

trader_84, Aug 18, 8:16am
They end up in Torkam. I've seen 1000's of them over there. Everybody thinks they go to DXB. They do . but for the most part - thats the dispersal point for their final destination(s) There is plently of markets in the middle east but only so many valid/working (read safe) points of entry to the place. Pakistan has good entry as does DXB. Pakistan is one frontdoor to a massive market in Affyland as well as the backdoor to the lands west of it. The point of entry is Torkam in the east with Herat being the exit point to the west. Sanctions my arse . things like that only mean something in the english speaking world. Iraq was the same in early 2000's . oil sanctions my butt, crude was cheaper than clean water back then, lol!

chookin3, Aug 18, 8:21am
Try Turners damaged vehicle auction they have loads go through and the prices for them are getting cheaper as demand from Arab country's has eased. Every Turners branch has a damaged vehicle auction every week

ratherbefishin, Aug 18, 8:23am
Yes, they are few and far between, quite a good vehcile, grossly underpowered in comparison to the 2.7 Nissan but still ok, yes, the head gaskets were a problem, and the turbos, and the trans.but once you get that sorted it's ok. Keep trying they are out there.

thedoth, Aug 18, 11:41pm
Try Auto Auctioneers in Hamilton.