WOF authority

stan114, Aug 16, 9:01am
Hi guys. Just wondering what is involved in getting a business certified to becomeWOF inspection certified. Had a look on NZTA website, but still have no idea. Thanks

carmedic, Aug 16, 10:12am
If you're not a current AVI you'll need to become one first or employ one.
http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof/introduction/inspection-premises-and-equipment

Application packs may be obtained from, and applications must be made to:

Vehicle Certifiers Registers
NZ Transport Agency
Palmerston North Office
Private Bag 11777
Palmerston North 4442

Phone 0800 587 287

johnf_456, Aug 16, 11:08am
You will also need equipment if you don't already have them like beam setters for a start.

llortmt, Aug 16, 7:20pm
Read the link Johnny!

johnf_456, Aug 16, 11:02pm
Read, he asked for what is required to get a wof license. Equipment is part of the items required.

ml6989, Aug 17, 8:48am
You only need one beam setter John, it can be used on both headlamps. Don't scare the OP too much.

twink19, Aug 17, 8:55am
and pay for the inspection of premises, about $580

johnf_456, Aug 17, 9:39am
He asked on what is required, I could go much further and ideally you will also want a hoist.

johnf_456, Aug 17, 9:41am
Then you have audits, moany customer asking why they failed for having metal sticking out of their tyres.

mantagsi, Aug 17, 9:54am
I am pretty sure that you don't need any at all, I hardly ever see them used during a wof! :pOn a serious note, if you want to get approved for issuing wofs you want to make sure you toe the line bang on, they can get pretty queer over small things, quite fussy, which is a good thing I suppose. good luck!

johnf_456, Aug 17, 9:55am
There is a lot of slack AVI mantagsi, some it is just tyres and lights then its a pass.

franc123, Aug 18, 6:52am
Absolutely not, approved beamsetters are compulsory and have been for some years.

ratherbefishin, Aug 18, 8:40am
It's a nightmare to qualify and really expensive, my poor mechanic had to send his chaps for schooling and tests, in the end he gave up and jsut employed someone that did WOF's.

alan1111, Aug 18, 10:01am
Correct Beam Setter are a requirement have been for about 4 years. I have 1 and good old lightboard.