What's a Rotary?

Page 1 / 2
dr.doolittle, Aug 16, 6:56pm
I've heard people talking about them but I've never seen one.

klrider, Aug 16, 8:05pm
So inefficient in fact, that piston engine drivers are so scared of them that they have to race in classes far outside of their engine capacity. They try to make up 'equvilent ratios' becasue (boo hoo) its so unfair when you look at the output to capacity.

sifty, Aug 16, 8:14pm
I use one to cut my lawn

kazbanz, Aug 16, 8:47pm
dr d --look it up on google Its hard to describe the combustion process in words but its a very different process than the normal pistons up and down process.

tmenz, Aug 16, 9:03pm
In effect it's an engine with roughly triangular pistons that revolve in odd shaped cavities to form and unform combustion chambers as they turn.
The pistons only ever rotate rather than reciprocate.

shelleigh, Aug 16, 9:04pm
An engine that makes your vehicle sound like a lawn mower!

friendly_prawn, Aug 16, 9:06pm
I used to have a rotary hoe!
She left me for some one with an RX7.

mrfxit, Aug 16, 11:58pm
LOL.ooops

You too HUH, . happens more then our parents led us to believe

mrfxit, Aug 17, 12:07am
Single spinning piston with 3 heads, rotating inside a 3 pocket chamber with 2 spark plugs per chamber
As each "head" pass's through each chamber, it creates a compression chamber/ spark plugs ignite the fuel which push's the "piston head" faster in to the next compression chamber et etc

VERY high revs available with very little torque compared to a std piston. engine

90% of rotary engines are placed in fairly light weight & small car bodys which compensates partly for the lack of torque.

While they can be built with a lot of power, it also equals comparatively very high fuel consumption & a much shorter live span

paull, Aug 17, 12:08am
a chip cooker

trader_84, Aug 17, 12:10am
Love or hate them . but you need to respect them. Inch for inch they are wild little animals . that have absolutely nothing to lose when they go up against bigger dogs.

trader_84, Aug 17, 12:29am
And this is the sh1tty part . the big dogs know it, haha! Haha . ha . har . harb . bra BrAP BRAAP! BARP BARP BRAAAAP! I don't own one and never will but just love something that punches way above its weight. There is one in one of the boys bedrooms according to the Missus, and I know their shed is full of dirty old 323's and the like, lol!

splinter67, Aug 17, 12:36am
Yup some of them have a bit of power but if you work out how much you have to spend on one to make it beat a v8 if you spent that much on a v8 you would have to run slicks to get it on the ground

bellky, Aug 17, 12:52am
Nah, rotarys are torque rich, only the displacements are small.

My 302w has (basically) double the Nm of its kW, same as my 12A has basically double the Nm of its kW (and that's at 6500rpm which is not 'VERY' high revs at all).

cuda.340, Aug 17, 1:16am
the biggest problem with the rotary is the owner doesn't know how to race. watch many of them either red light or get d!cked at the lights at the drags. can't remember when i last saw or even saw a rotary powered car win a class event at Fram. but in saying so, some do go extremely well for their size, just not consistant.

1ollie, Aug 17, 1:28am
That's where your wrong though as you clearly do not know!

1ollie, Aug 17, 1:30am
That's alright maybe when they have been getting drag raced at a high level for over 60years they will be as consistent to lol

splinter67, Aug 17, 2:40am
Ok I will bite how much to get a rota that might catch a big block v8 then I will tell you what hp can be made for the same money

mrfxit, Aug 17, 2:42am
LMAOROF "torque rich" . yea whatever ;-)
Would LOVE to see a rotary car hook up my 350kg trailer & it's 1400kg load of silage & THEN pull away easily.

splinter67, Aug 17, 2:48am
Answering yourself dosent make your ridiculous statement any better stop reading things on the internet you don't understand

bellky, Aug 17, 2:54am
1990 - 1995 Mazda Cosmo:

13b: ".With over 380 N·m (280 lb·ft) of torque available at just 1800 rpm."

And 20b: ".300 lb·ft (402 N·m)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunos_Cosmo

That's as much torque as any early '90s injected commy or Falcon, and at much LOWER revs.

mrfxit, Aug 17, 2:54am
The well built & driven rotarys. yep
Nothing for the others,
Either way, trashing a well worked & built v8 simply can't be beaten for sheer presence of power.
Power to weight = rotary
Brute HP = v8
Short jab at lots of fun = rotary
Long term jab at serious hp = v8

mrfxit, Aug 17, 3:00am
LOL yea twin turbo double rotor & twin turbo triple rota
Having it on paper or in the engine & using it are 2 very different things.

Please to burger off with the name calling.

If rotarys have so much torque, then why don't they use them in big cars!

Oh wait, hang on a minute, they DID try that . & failed
Real world applications

bellky, Aug 17, 3:04am
The Cosmo weighs 1570kg; about the same as an XR8 of the same year.

splinter67, Aug 17, 3:05am
And how many turbo chargers did they have to make that