Any1 knw how to set a 4hp johnson outboard 2 start

tarnz145, Aug 13, 11:55pm
hi i have a 4hp johnson outboard motor an old1 and dont knw what settings to put the dials that are on it too! theres a slow and fast dial and another1! any ideas i tryd starting it but the cord for the pulley started breaking so it in the shop gettng a new1

sterid01, Aug 14, 12:07am
The low one is the idle jet , the high one the main jet , the other is probably the rpm adjuster , for the high and low clockwise = less fuel, anti= more fuel ,
try screwing them in all the way then back out 2 full turns (you might want to check out a forum on johnsons ) give plenty of rpm to get going . check spark and have fresh fuel . hope this helps .

mm12345, Aug 14, 1:43am
Mightn't be a bad idea to remove the screws completely, make sure that the needles are clean, and drain the float bowl while you're at it.
The "right" position for the screws is a trial and error thing from my experience - they are tricky little devils, but once running right, and once you're used to tweaking them, no problem.Not sure what "the other" is - the choke perhaps!(IIRC, that's just a little square section rod which pulls out, then there's a lever throttle below).
Good luck with replacing the cord - that can get very messy if you let the spring unwind.
Due to my lack of decent maintenance, the brass mixture needles corroded and seized in the carb housing in my small Johnson.Couldn't turn them, and couldn't free them up with heat, and as I found out, they snap off easily if you force them.I'm not sure what's recommended, but a smidgen of good grease on the threads might be a good idea.

3wheelnut, Aug 14, 2:19am
How old! Got an original manual for one if it's the right version.

budgel, Aug 14, 10:14pm

splinter67, Aug 14, 10:17pm
Ask the shop when you pick it up they will know

elect70, Aug 15, 1:53am
Good squirt of eazy sartfor pull start motors .

xs1100, Aug 15, 6:41am
try fishing.net.nzgood mechanic on there