Renault megane 2001

doweasa, Aug 11, 1:27am
Are these cars reliable! Anyone out there know!

curlcrown, Aug 11, 1:34am
If I had the choice between a wart on the end of my knob and a Renault Megane it would be a difficult choice.

doweasa, Aug 11, 1:35am
Luckily i don't have a knob- and i'd best stay away from the car too :)

supernova2, Aug 11, 2:16am
I've owned nearly 20 Renaults so feel a bit qualified to comment.In general they are no worse than anything else.The biggist problem is that they are not all that common in this part of the world so there is no demand for various parts so you sorta have to go to the agents and bits can be expensive.Its a long way from France and freight is the killer.Very few wreckers can be bothered with them so no 2nd hand bits either.If they have been in Singapore don't touch it ever.It's also unlikly that the local garage will want to have much to do with one either simply because they are not familier with them and whilst the fault might be simple they often need to hunt down the problem and lack of experience with that particular model can make that time consuming.A good example of this being the Scenic RX4 which unwinds a nut in the gearbox.If you know about it you can fix it in about an hour and no parts required.If you don't you need a very expensive gearbox rebuild - so expensive its more than the car is worth.Unless you can do your own repairs I'd give a Renault a miss.Some are very nice but not for a daily driver in NZ.On the other hand would you buy a Commodore/Falcon if you lived in France.Thats the way to look at it.

gunhand, Aug 11, 2:28am
We had a Renault for a while, was a Laguna. Nice enough car never let us down as such but it had some very odd habits that would probably have been difficult to trace. Told a few mechanics and they went a bit pale.Or it coulda been haunted.

intrade, Aug 13, 5:38pm
you probably did not shut the bonnet right and it told you in french to shuta tha bonnate

elect70, Aug 14, 3:21am
Well I had renault Laguna deiselfor a whilegot it from BILforFAafter5 yearsfrom new . & all bits had to come from frogland @mega $, he said everythingcost $1000 to fix each time, windowmotor , imoblizerEGR . Hed had a gutsfull .

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 5:45am
Good plan to look outside the square for a much better value car. The French cars though I do find a bit of a pain sometimes for parts as mentioned above. However the following European makes have really good parts availability in NZ and parts are well priced, so perhaps consider them instead.

VW
Audi
Skoda
Alfa Romeo
Fiat
Mercedes

There are possibly others too but I am reluctant to speak outside of what I have direct experience with. Best of luck with your search, I suggest you come back with different options as you find them for more in depth information.

franc123, Aug 14, 6:06am
Unless you've got a mate locally who knows them well who can do repairs cheap AND a good source of spares in Europe that you can tap into, Renault ownership in NZ is usually a miserable experience for all the reasons outlined in #4. Even getting parts that you might need for a wof like a tie rod end can be a major drama, the genuine parts system is shockingly vague, I was told there were 5 different options on one model of Clio I had to fix, none were in NZ and there was no tech info on dimensions/what fitted what anywhere. No doubt they are fine in France but hopeless here.

haventrader, Aug 14, 7:56am
Drove a Renault Clio 1.4l (2001) for a couple of years. Was a great car. I did big mileage in it, great on fuel, reliable, quick (for a 1400 anyway). With the mileage getting up there, I decided to sell. Easiest car to sell and a decision I regret to this day! I still see that car around the neighbourhood, and looks as good as the day I bought it. I've had a good run with Renaults so thumbs up from me.

horsepower7, Aug 14, 8:17am
omg lol we have had one on the yard for months! nuf said lol, they are ugly an crappy to drive, good luck if you buy one lol