Any1 had a Bumper rechromed?Wot it cost $?

terry77.ta, Oct 8, 7:30am
Hi,any1 had a bumper rechromed, ! how goods it got 2 be 2 redo it! Mines good on the inside,brackets & back are solid & been treaded B4, but chrome side has couple small rubs/dents but overall is strait.no flacking but it is thin as rust keeps weeping threw! wots involved! who`d u use! cost! Any tips! Its a WB Holden 1, Thanx

74nova, Oct 8, 8:13am
I had my front bumper of the Pontiac re-chromed in New Market Auckland about 5 years ago. They gave me a verbal price of 'about $300 for that size bumper' so dropped it off and waited about 6 weeks for it. Went to pick it up and gotta bill for $900. I argued with them over the price and told them I can get a new repro from the States for $600 and told them they can keep it. They didn't like that idea so dropped the price to $600.
I think their no longer in business.
But saying all that, you'll find it will not be cheap.

treachug, Oct 8, 8:24am
What do you mean rust keeps weeping through! Is is rusted through! Thin is worrying.has it been done before! If its too thin it may not last the process. We get them done at work, dents & scrapes arent an issue, rust & thin metal is. Rust holes are a reject, the bumper place will not rechrome a bar with even the tiniest hole in it as the hole gets larger while being dipped etc

terry77.ta, Oct 8, 12:07pm
Thanx, i presume its weeping threw the chrome as its either had a lot of grinding shavings land on it at some stage & after i CRC it and rub it back it seems to just come back all over. Metal is thick, no issues there, from inside its very solid. mite strip it down & investigate further.

socram, Oct 8, 8:10pm
Once it is pitted, CRC won't really help as the damage is already done.

Someone once told me about a surefire way to protect new chrome (the guy who told me passed away last year), but I think it involved a paste of Vaseline plus a couple of other ingredients.No doubt Google will be your friend for keeping it looking good.

pauldw, Oct 8, 8:55pm
Chrome plating is just the shine, it depends on the quality of the base coats of nickel and copper to stop rust.

elect70, Oct 8, 9:42pm
will have to go in strip tank first regardless . but make sure no rust on itfirst Thencopper platedthen chromed .GO to agood chromernot all equal , believe WanganuiElectroplaters are pretty good