"Outback Truckers " How real ?

Page 2 / 3
pestri, Sep 27, 11:25pm
Which they put on the trailer attached to the tractor unit, along with the 17T loader making them both unavailable until the whole train was disassembled. I don't believe any outback trucker would be that dumb. but it makes good TV if you are prepared to swallow anything.

upnorth, Sep 28, 12:29am
And everyone there was a digger.

r.g.nixon, Sep 28, 12:31am
The term 'digger' was originally a term for NZ soldiers, not Aussies.

mrcat1, Sep 28, 12:43am
It was interesting when on one episode they where loading up some machine on a widener transporter and the over dramatic narrator was saying there was some sort of hydraulic fault and they couldn't widen the trailer and they would end up behind their deadline and it was the end of the world kinder sh!t, and you could clearly see they had put a chain around one side of the widener so it wouldn't open, the whole thing was a set up.

mrcat1, Sep 28, 12:53am
I planted wheat 4 hours north east of Perth in May, we had 10mm of rain and we couldn't work, even walking across the yard it was really slippery, we went to Moora for a look and got the front wheel of the car just off the seal and got stuck, Vodaphone runs out of service about 2 hours out of Perth and then only in big towns after that, can only use Telstra and even then really hit and miss for coverage, the road that goes around the farm is not on google earth or maps, and even when we had 15mm of rain we couldn't go on it in a car at all, 4x4 cruiser only.

ema1, Sep 28, 1:40am
Good case for hovercraft in those muddy conditions?
Big expanses of "flat" ground all over lots of the interior.
Even big ones like the Russians and Brits used, some military use them for good reason.
Man that red stuff sure turns to porridge quickly. they can have it.

v8_mopar, Sep 28, 1:53am
I cant stand these shows cos you only get 15 min of show for the hour its on. The rest is the odd ad and constant repeats of whats gonna happen and what has happened and instant repeats for the hell of it. Drives me mad.

ema1, Sep 28, 2:00am
Got to agree with you there, the yanks are masters of spinning things out almost as though the listening audience are a bunch of numskulls or something else derogatory?
Outback Truckers has been infected a bit similar to some of the yank trucker sensationalism, spoils it for me I have to say.
They're Aussies for gods sake not pseudo yanks?
I'd far sooner watch UK programs and drama etc as they are more realistic, not much far fetched belly hoo crap that the yanks tend to go on with, so much damn boring sameness week in week out gets on my goat.
Yank doco's and nature programs are good though.

elect70, Sep 28, 2:26am
i had rellies who ran reefer trucks to outbacks , the mud is real storms come in with little warning & can be stuck for days . Its a bloody huge place you cant just ring up for a a heavy tow truck . also another with wheat farm in Norigan WA few sealed roads & that "bull dust " gets into everything. But the show is over dramatised with that idiot voice over

2sheddies, Sep 28, 4:57am
I'be not really worked out why he has/needs the excavator. He has the loader with forks, which he uses to uplift the car, put it in the crusher, then take the crushed shell from there to the trailer for transport. What does he do with the digger? I must have missed something?

skin1235, Sep 28, 6:29am
I think he uses the digger because of its grabshell, all the bits that fall through the forks etc, very handy for picking up the scrap motors too - was looking for where he stashed that $10,000 patrol motor, it wasn't strapped to the deck anywhere for the drive out, maybe he simply chucked on the top of all the scrap motors in the bin until he got home

2sheddies, Sep 28, 6:59am
Cheers skin. makes sense. Yeah, what a score that motor was! I wonder if he needs any kind of special permit or something to be allowed to take the stuff? They were saying that because of the fact it's so isolated and barren out there, if a car craps itself, it just gets dumped wherever it stops. so I guess they're all fair game. whoever grabs it first owns it?

lookoutas, Sep 28, 7:07am
Didn't see that. The Rugby game was better.

socram, Sep 28, 8:32am
Maybe the desert around Dubai, Abu Dhabi would be a great spot too, as I gather that the rich Arabs used to abandon Ferraris, Lambos and other prestige makes, then just go and buy another if they crapped out!

skiff1, Sep 28, 8:42am
given you could simply walk the digger off the side of the trailer, it is irrelevant where you put it.

bryshaw, Sep 28, 8:48am
A D9 bulldozer would have moved that bogged trailer no sweat.

2sheddies, Sep 28, 8:56am
Exactly. don't really understand that post. Where else would he put the things? He's gotta cart them to the job somehow, and that makes most sense to me. Furthermore, I seriously doubt that the whole combination could have been dragged out with anything once that trailer sunk and tipped. The train has to be broken up in that case I'm sure. Then you only have to deal with the one trailer, and a fraction of the weight.

2sheddies, Sep 28, 8:58am
Well that sounds a tad more lucrative than old Falcons and Landcruisers!

mrcat1, Sep 28, 10:21am
No it wouldn't, to heavy and just sink, we had 10mm of rain in WA when planting wheat and I had a 525hp Case Steiger tractor, you wouldn't even dream of moving it, they just go down.

skiff1, Sep 28, 11:01am
depends on the track shoes. Was your Steiger on tracks or tyres? With low enough ground pressure you can drive literally any where, and with enough traction and torque, pull anything.

mrcat1, Sep 28, 11:19am
It was on wheels, wont make any difference there as its towing 30 odd tonne, and I certainly know what a wheeled and crawler tractor will pull, as I said it was parked up as well as all the other farms in the district, its totally different soils types as here, a real education.

poppajn, Sep 28, 8:09pm
You really don't know much about tracked machinery then

pestri, Sep 28, 10:48pm
And the loader, never seen one of those walked off. ?

pestri, Sep 28, 10:48pm
On the last trailer.

elect70, Apr 19, 2:24am
How true , can hardly call it "soil' just rocky salty dirt & its only the tons of fertiliser put in with the hydros that the wheat grows ( & pray for rain )