Worlds Fastest Indian

Page 2 / 2
bjmh, Jun 10, 9:29pm
I remember a local brought a new gsx 1100 Suzuki. late 80's ? I did a wof on it and couldn't get over how good the brakes were. it was like a giant hand came out of the ground and grabbed the bike. amazing compared to the non-existent pom brakes.

bjmh, Jun 10, 9:34pm
To this day the experience of lying on the tank on the Desert Road, throttle pinned, and eyes peeled for any black and white HQ Holdens in the distance reminds me of why some of us still choose to ride on two wheels.sr2. those old holdens were no match for bikes,but there were some canny cops,the local black/white would pay you a visit a couple of days later and a bollocking was on order. he knew who owned whatever

kazbanz, Jun 10, 9:35pm
Yep by then the japs had realised that brakes were important.
But frikken big bulky heavy beasts.

purple666, Jun 10, 11:16pm
And remember the lights? Like having someone running along beside you with a candle. But yes great days indeed.

reb53, Jun 10, 11:43pm
Knew I'd seen something somewhere.
The book is "The Harley in the Barn, more Great Tales of Motorcycle Archaeology", by Tom Cotter.
If you like old bikes it's a fantastic collection of stories about finding interesting bikes in unusual places.
Doesn't seem to be all American BS, quite authoritative with lots of names/places/times that could be checked.
A whole chapter is devoted to the Indian, and Burt's association with the Pierce family, ( the name on the tailplane of the streamliner).
It says that when Burt " left America for the last time, he gave his beloved Indian to the Pierce family as a thank you for all the years of assistance.
For a while the Pierces displayed the World's Fastest Indian in their showroom, then relegated it to the warehouse, and ultimately to the elements outside".
It was eventually rescued, restored, and at the time the book was printed, (2012), was owned by the Hensley family. There are detailed photos of the restoration and Tom Hensley says, " the photographs are proof they own the actual Indian. He said there are collectors in New Zealand who claim to own the actual World's Fastest Indian, but he said that was actually a chassis mock-up that Munro used to test his engines. Tom Hensley said Munro's bike never left the United States once it was shipped here in 1962".
The very detailed chapter ends with the suggestion that the Hensley's entire bike collection may be sold and " since New Zealanders consider Burt Munroe to be their John Wayne, I'd be surprised if someone down there didn't buy it".
Is this what has since happened, and it's now on display in Invercargill ?
The entire chapter seems pretty convincing so now I'm kinda confused.

desmodave, Jun 11, 1:16am
Well you just cant help some people getting excited about a Ducati motor . What was the engine they used ?

pattym1, Jun 11, 1:17am
**coughs** yes. check my pic.

pauldw, Jun 11, 2:41am
The early T120s used to road test around 108-110mph so you can't take the model number as gospel. In later years anything going to a major magazine for testing wasn't necessarily in standard production condition.

sr2, Jun 11, 4:39am
LOL; you've missed the point completely.

How could you even contemplate telling a 15 year old kid his brand new (old) T100 wouldn't crack the ton, you'll be stealing sweets off babies next!

ladatrouble, Jun 11, 5:49am
My first ton was on a '69 Lightning, no helmet, no goggles, no gloves and a work shirt - my eyes were watering, so I took my left hand off the bars to wipe my eyes, my arm got flung back behind me flapping in the wind! I've never been into the speed thing, I preferred going around corners, so handling was the important thing to me, and so Jap bikes weren't on my wish list. In the '70's I was riding Featherbed Nortons, a Rickman Metisse and Cheney Triumph. The British may not have been able to make a bullet proof engine, but they made frames that were better than you could ride.

nzjay, Jun 11, 6:57am
The demise of the British motorbike industry was the making of the Japanese as the Japs were able to entice several top Poms over to sort out their poor frame designs.

ladatrouble, Jun 11, 8:23am
I had an XS1 for years, it could get scary at times, but sometimes you could use the flex to advantage. They got a Pom over to sort than one out. made it heavier with double frame thickness. I preferred the XS1.

oliver6, Jun 11, 8:54am
My first ton was on a KawasakiA7 Avenger twin 350 in1972 on the road between Cambridge and Karapiro.
Awesome at the time.
Now I am just about to buy a dirt bike which puts out more horsepower than that bike did.

reb53, Jun 11, 9:14am
A7 Avenger ! Now there's a memory. Brother had one, spent most of its life seizing but I had an interesting ride or two.
Only now realise how much a near death experience it was.
Sharp looking bike though, add another cylinder and call it a Mach 3.

oliver6, Jun 11, 9:35am
Mine spent most of its life having seizures. It was faster than a Mach111 top end but handled like a banana. After that I raced an H2 which was a banana.

reb53, Jun 12, 8:01am
If you Google Hensley motorbikes you get the whole chapter about Burt's Indians.
It would seem the Invercargill Indian is not "the world's Fastest Indian" after all, and isn't the actual record breaking bike.
Bugger, always thought it was.
At least it's the Americans who have the real one, and not the Aussies.

craigs_workshop, Jun 13, 2:48am
lol - its pure hollywood.

he didnt break any records untill his 6th visit IIRC

pauldw, Jun 13, 3:23am
IMHO the Hensley Indian is so painted, polished and shiney who cares what its provenance is it isn't Munro's anymore.

sr2, Jun 13, 3:37am
+1; just watch the video, (warning contains a large amount of "cringe factor").

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/stories/munro-streamliner-special-video

impressions, Jun 13, 3:40am
I remember Bert visiting when I was a kid. My uncle married his daughter June Munroe. Not until the movie came out did I know much about him.

marte, Jun 13, 11:25am
I thought it was because the japps used a horizontal split in their crankcases while the Brits used a vertical split that leaked oil from day one.

ladatrouble, Jun 13, 11:44am
Not from the vertical split (you could lap them in with fine grinding paste) but from the square oil screen plate. An overtightened cork gasket and distorted plate. Damaged timing covers from removing them with scewdrivers. Primary chaincases always leaked though. except for featherbed Nortons, they were oil tight.

desmodave, Jun 13, 2:50pm
Nice , shame your pic doesn't have sound

afer_daily, Jun 20, 9:10am
i thought it was going to be about Custer chasing Greronimo ?