New worksafe legislation 2016

Page 2 / 2
bjmh, Nov 12, 7:36pm
this is what my workshop will be like https://youtu.be/qLm3HMG8IhM

nzjay, Nov 12, 8:37pm
Unbelievable, isn't it.

tintop, Nov 12, 11:27pm
Swap jobs with the mower driver, and send the rest of the safety stuff away.

I'll give you 10 minutes before you drive off the road and give up.

elect70, Nov 13, 2:20am
WTF is the matter with people , when piilot vehicle with WIDE LOAD sign & flashing lights comes toward you , you pull hard to the left until its past . F-ing coroners have . no idea trying to lay blame on house movers . What more can they do cant stop stupidity .

tintop, Nov 13, 2:39am
The trouble is that the wide load sign and the general situation cannot always be seen because of the glare of all the other lights.

I have seen a pilot with head lights on full, two beacons, and the roof sign in such a bad state and lack of lighting that it cannot be seen

The tow truck with beacons, 4 headlights on full beam, and a miserable 15W clip on tail light unit at the corners of the house. Again because of the glare, these lights could not be readily seen.

Movers need to look at the situation from an approaching drivers point of view - not from their own cabs.

brapbrap8, Nov 13, 3:50am
I would have thought that most people would decide to keep hard left and slow down if they could not see, rather than proceed at full speed.

I often drive oversized vehicles, and have so many near misses from cars that come screaming around corners towards me without any consideration for what could be around the corner.
I have had several cars run off the road because they were traveling so fast around a blind corner that they couldn't slow down or keep left enough so they had no choice but to go straight ahead off the corner.

The average driver on twisty NZ roads does not seem to consider that there could be a slow or stopped vehicle, an animal, a person, a slip or any other hazard on the road just around that corner or over the brow of that hill, judging by the speed people travel at and the accidents and close calls that happen.
The road code states you should be able to stop within the visible distance, and clearly in the incidents I mentioned people have not been able to do that.

Police should work out the visibility and therefore stopping distances of various corners and set a maximum allowable speed and start ticketing people who drive fast enough that they would not be able to stop in the clear road ahead of them.

morrisjvan, Nov 13, 4:08am
Last time i looked, the grass wasn't on the road , it was off to the side a bit.

henderson_guy, Nov 13, 4:55am
Totally agree with you.

henderson_guy, Nov 13, 5:16am
Where was this? I haven't been able to find anything about it on the news websites.

brapbrap8, Nov 13, 5:35am

tintop, Nov 13, 5:53am
4k tolerance at Xmas. :)

henderson_guy, Nov 13, 5:58am
Cheers. I notice it said he collided with the truck, and not the house. Wonder if it may be a case of a driver falling asleep?

henderson_guy, Nov 13, 6:00am
What does that have to do with the context of mine or braps post?

tintop, Nov 13, 6:13am
You are going on about setting speed limits at bends and visibility hazards.
There will need to be a tolerance.
If not, then why have a tolerance on general speed limits.
Oh - allow for wet conditions? Darkness? How ?

And the sheer magnitude of surveying and setting these new limits :)

henderson_guy, Nov 13, 6:20am
So tell me how a 4km tolerance is going to make the slightest bit of difference to a 35km blind corner that people go flying around at 70? It's exactly that sort of one track thinking that has turned so many people against the hiway patrol in the first place

tintop, Nov 13, 6:29am
You want limits set. You want them enforced.

How will the limits take into account the differing conditions of wet/dry, day/night.

If they are to be enforced, will there be an enforcement tolerance?

If not - then there is no logic in having an enforcement tolerance for general speed limits.

If there is to be a tolerance - logic points it to the same as the regime for the general speed limits. Hence my 4k tolerance at Xmas comment.

supernova2, Nov 13, 10:12am

tintop, Nov 13, 10:49am
Not yet, it is a trial- been on the books for a while now. But certainly a good idea for that section. May lead to others.
Yet to be seen are the benefits v the costs.
Will be interesting.

henderson_guy, Nov 13, 4:17pm
Until they forget to turn them off when it's fine and dry again, like last week.

lookoutas, Nov 14, 4:31am
POS Commodore locked itself on me yesterday. Fortunately, the tailgate didn't lock so I climbed in and unlocked the dunga, but in the process, stuffed my back.
What's more, coz my sore back was a distraction, I stood up too soon while taking a shortcut under the hoist, and hit me bloody head on the beam. You can imagine the story of recording all that just to fill on the book.
Then to add insult to injury, I was busy making a noise when the Smoko call came out, and by the time some Num-nuts realized I hadn't heard, the bloody coffee was cold.
So with sore back, sore head, no Smoko, I went home like a bear with a sore head - and I did have one. Didn't even have a beer, although I was going through big-time coffee withdrawal by then, so that was the priority.

Back was no better tismorning, so I took the morning off and went to my main back-fixer man. With back all sweet I went to work tisavo and got hit with a bloody earthquake drill (Just for the books)
"Bugga me - I thought I had that yesterday!"

tintop, Nov 14, 4:47am
Lookout Ass ! lol

marte, Nov 15, 11:25am
Ah, she got her drivers license in about 1963.
She wouldn't know a metre from a Bushell or a firkin.
She probably never drove a car with double digit horsepower and there's no way she could convert that into kilowatts.
And she probably got taught by her mother, who learnt to drive in a horse and cart.

hitman45, Oct 16, 2:21am
That road that she crashed on is pretty damn straight and midday clear weather so I'd put a chocolate fish that she was daydreaming or otherwise distracted hence didn't see the house