Crossover vehicles

Page 2 / 2
johotech, Oct 27, 7:05am
I think you're a little out of touch.

This is 2015. The near new cars you bought for $11-12k 20 years ago, are now going to be $25-35k.

The HR-V crossover is a brand new model. Going to cost you $35-40k, even if you wait 12 months. That's the Honda name for you.

An ASX might be a better option. They are $10k cheaper than the Honda new, so you might pick up a 4-5 year old one for $20k depending on how many K's you are prepared to put up with. That is more like your 1990's-2000's $12k dollars range.

But bare in mind that a Mitsubishi isn't a Honda. You get what you pay for.

bwg11, Oct 27, 7:35am
Not really, cars are much cheaper, relatively, than 20 years ago. My wife paid $32k for a new Astina GLXi. Manual, no air bags or air.

christin, Oct 27, 4:49pm
I know the cars were 10 years ago, and as I said I don't expect to get that much off. All three were good deals and I was lucky to get them. Thr one I got in 2005 was 34k brand new, so prices were similar. And a good well liked, popular model of car back then.

They were cars someone wanted to get rid of. i was lucky. All were valued at more and could have sold for more the next day. A dealer was very keen to buy one for 3k more and that's him also assuming he adds more to sell.

The most recent one I got valued a year after I bought it for insurance purposes and came In at 3k more than I paid.

The hrv crossover brand new for basic is going for 32k from memory, sport is 38k. So I don't think in 12 months, with depreciation and milleage they will be going for more than their price for new (32k new, yet you say in a year 35-40k?).

So, not that out of touch :-)

christin, Oct 27, 4:51pm
Also you can get a 2014 Corolla nowdays for 16k. They were 32k ish new. That is a year old. Seen them listed for 17k, last one I got 2k off a 14k car at dealer so who knows!

I know crossover vehicles not so much so, but a year later their value does go down also

christin, Oct 27, 4:55pm
And the most recent I bought was 2005, 10 years ago for $11,999. Not 20 years.

I don't think prices have chnaged too much in 10 years

survivalkiwi, Oct 27, 5:48pm
I have found that the cost of ownership ( loss when broken down to monthly) is the same when I keep a car for 3 years or 5 years. ( that over the last 10 years). So I will be trading my current ute in at 3 years.
However I bought my wife a brand new swift in 07 for 20k. We traded that in 12 and got 14k. So that works out at $23 per week. In that time the only cost was the annual service.

christin, Oct 27, 6:31pm
if i get 5k for my current car, then its cost me $7k over 10 years, not too bad depreciation wise.

but like i said i dont think ill be lucky on my crossover. Mind you, i said that about my current car, i had a model and colour in mind, thought i wont get a good deal like before and the first place i looked at i found it. second car i looked at in that dealership

(drove the same model a year older which i would have got for 10k but this had more feastures etc (auto vs manual, 1.8 vs the standard 1.6, factory fitted alloys and spoiler vs none, extra air bag, nicer dash, etc)

smalltrader2, Oct 27, 7:38pm
There are a handful of cars (Super Mini and SUV class) which hold their value really well because they are highly sought after/popular. Suzuki Swift and Honda Jazz are examples that hold their value really well.

However, the majority of cars (or at least a big percentage) does not follow the linear depreciation path. The higher end European cars are the worst in terms of the depreciation curve.

Honda sort of pioneer the linear depreciation curve story years ago with varying degree of success. Models such as CRV and Jazz hold value well but other models do not. Other mid-tier brands are trying to mimic the linear depreciation story - Suzuki and Mazda come to mind, again with varying degree of success.

I don't think there is a single depreciation model for all cars. You really have to study the depreciation trend for the models that you are interested in. I believe there is a "Blue" book or "Red" book benchmark on depreciate information on model that you can purchase online.

3tomany, Oct 27, 8:35pm
Take another look at kuga i think they have a 2wd cheaper now. We have a 4wd kuga that replaced an sx4, very impressed with it in every way especially fuel economy

tamarillo, Oct 27, 8:49pm
Aussie wheels mag, of which I am a fan, rates Mazda CX-5 fwd 2 litre as best all round compact SUV and Mazda cx3 as best compact SUV. This is their value awards where they rate value in to equation not just which one tested best.
Assuming comparitive costs and depreciations are similar to NZ that is a good pointer to at least try them. Might find smaller cx3 feels big enough for you.

andy61, Oct 27, 8:52pm
The ASX is called RVR in Japan, do they still drink oil and have major transmissions issues like the earlier RVRs? Its Japanese name would be enough to put me off getting one.

christin, Oct 27, 9:24pm
thanks. will do. A couple of years back they were in the 40k range from memory. Will have a nosey at them.

mals69, Oct 27, 9:55pm
Nissan skyline crossover ! 3700cc of performance !

brapbrap8, Oct 27, 10:17pm
No they have nothing in common with the older RVRs other than the name.
They share the petrol engine and transmission with the CJ Lancer range which is very proven and regarded as being very reliable.

christin, Oct 27, 11:33pm
just had a look. 36k onwards. probably a cheaper version than yours, but that's all id need so will lok into those thanks.

I think they were more expensive back then. so good theyre cheaper :-)

richardmayes, Oct 28, 12:47am
One of the guys at work has got a Peugeot 4009. I understand it is basically the same platform as a Mitsubishi, with a Pug diesel engine and flasher styling / interior. As an automatic town car that can mount the kerb at will, it's quite a nice car and good at what it does!

mush13, Oct 31, 5:26am
I looked at the Mitzi ASX, 10yr warrantee is a bonus and I think the diesel version has selectable 2/4WD and a normal automatic box. I got a Kuga diesel in the end due to the extra safety features/aids. Maybe a used 2014/5 Peugeot 308 HDi, nice car, super cheap on fuel, gets good reviews, lots of tech/toys :)

gv_51, Nov 1, 5:58am
I've driven 40,000 kms in a Kuga and really disliked it. Poor visibility, bad road noise and reliability issues.

mush13, Nov 1, 8:36pm
I hope mines reliable, I brought a new one cause I was sick of fixing my last car.

3tomany, Nov 1, 8:44pm
dont worry ours has done 30000 ks with not one issue still early i know but economy is good, still on original tires, just service and drive the thing.

mush13, Dec 4, 12:07am
Now thats what I like to hear :)