Parking and driveway access

birdmans, Nov 9, 7:29pm
hows it going long story short having a battle with the council over my right to be able to safely use my driveway with out cars always parked within 1m and right upto it so far I'm not winning every excuse not to do something or claims after pics that the rules state as per other councils onl measure from the bottom flat edge in turn even more limiting it or trying to prove a point with a tape measure but pic on angle so it looks good but it was atleast 40cm in

msigg, Nov 9, 7:31pm
Well in Auckland I have called AT transport and they have towed a car away that was too close to the driveway. Where do you live.

birdmans, Nov 9, 8:15pm
I'm in the waitaki area they showed up took pics once again at angles that makes it look like it doesn't breach launch a complaint and still nothing happens.

pettal, Nov 9, 8:34pm
get a couple of road cones and place them there .

androth2, Nov 9, 8:58pm
Auckland a good at ticketing vehicles with 1 metre of the driveway. Over the years as my driveway is uphill and a blind view I have hit five bumpers and ripped one off with a Ute. An owner was told that they were illegally parked so there will be no insurance for them

pico42, Nov 9, 10:21pm
How wide is the crossing at the kerb line from bottom to bottom?
How wide is the car parking bays?
How wide is the road lane (parking bay to centreline)?
Presuming the road / crossing is a normal suburban street, you might be able to demonstrate with swept vehicle paths that the width of the vehicle crossing and the width of the parking bays don’t allow a vehicle to pull in or out within the width of the traffic lane.

Waitaki District Councils engineering drawings stipulate a minimum 3.0m.
https://www.waitaki.govt.nz/our-services/roads-and-footpaths/Documents/Roading_publications/Technical%20Drawings%20(2016).pdf

s_nz, Nov 9, 11:26pm
Note the actual wording of the law is:

"(1) A driver or person in charge of a vehicle must not stop, stand, or park the vehicle so as to obstruct entry to or exit from any driveway.
(2) For the purposes of this clause, a vehicle parked alongside any part of a kerb crossing provided for a driveway or within 1 m of the prolongation of the side of a driveway must be regarded as obstructing entry or exit."

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/whole.html#DLM303605

Note that the 1m does not apply from the kerb cut, rather the prolongation of the "driveway" where it crosses your property boundary.

It appears that the parking wardens have been assessing the cars as legally parked.

Is there something that makes your driveway unsafe to use with vehicles parked close to it? Narrow driveway width or narrow road width meaning you cannot turn in or out?

You could look at the option of widening you driveway to give yourself more space. Pleanty of houses on my street have double or triple width driveway's. I have also seen driveways with extended kerb cuts (sometimes overlapping neighboring sections) to function as a defacto no parking area. Obvously not a cheap option, but this seems to be causing grief.

A shorter wheel base car with a tighter turning radius could also help.

You could also lobby the council to mark the end of parking bays either side of your driveway (either white hockey sticks or a yellow dotted no parking line across you driveway). I have seen both used, but no idea what the requirements are for a particular driveway to qualify.

amasser, Nov 10, 11:29am
What s_nz says.
The prolongation is probably interpreted as the width of the driveway and the no-go zone measured from the edges, rather than the fan-shaped end meeting the road. Ask (or nag) the Council to paint yellow lines on the road so there is no (less) argument. A few fines fixed an inconsiderate parker who claimed, "I'll do what I want". Fair enough that others think that way and report him!

mrfxit, Oct 26, 6:18pm
Councils really hate allowing any roadside markings in residential area's & theres a whole raft of regulations & costs covering them, (as per normal)