Frustrating jobs.

bigfatmat1, Aug 19, 6:36pm
share your frustrating jobs you have had lately. I've had a few weeks of them but three of them that frustrate me the most are 1. late model toyota need to replace a module looks easy 2 bolts one of them accessible if i remove the mirror switch panel on right hand side of dash by drivers door. However the dash is overlapped by the panel beside which is overlapped by the dash surround which is overlapped by the next until I've spent 45 mins stripping nearly every removable panel on the dash including center console. 2. Sump on late model bmw. Subframe, diff, axles, suspension, steering rack, enginemounts, 1000 bolts and two days labour. 3. Vacuum pump oil seals on a audi rs6 engine out 40 hours later job done.

gunhand, Aug 19, 7:09pm
I did that once, spent ages removing 600 screws, bolts, plugs and bungs to remove an item in a tricky spot. Then some clever person told me, Oh you just remove two screws at the front and the whole lot comes off. Not that you could see said screws unless you new they were there.

gph1961, Aug 19, 7:20pm
jeez mate shouldnt take that long,my neighbours brother is a school teacher and he said 2 hours tops

gph1961, Aug 19, 7:33pm
guess moaning about HQ r/h wiper pivot and CF Bedford cambox is zip compared to that shite
well done you

bigfatmat1, Aug 19, 7:46pm
Rs6 is the 5L twin turbo v10. In the same engine bay as a a6 thats cramped with a online 4 in it

bigfatmat1, Aug 19, 7:54pm
they both before my time lol

poppy62, Aug 19, 7:56pm
Spent 4 years trying to work out why the convertible roof wont close properly above the "B" pillar. Daughter had the car at the time and She's not telling me what the %^&* grandsons/she did to it. Have bought another complete car in order to solve the problem. Will get around to fixing it sometime soon in the next 3 years.

saxman99, Aug 19, 8:00pm
A little while ago my neighbour had his Mazda 6 jacked up, wheel off, arch liner out, tools and fasteners scattered on the driveway.

“What’s up Mate? “

“Headlight bulb”

“Lol. No, really what’s wrong?”

“Headlight bulb”

“You are joking.”

“Nope”.

Great.

franc123, Aug 19, 8:08pm
Not uncommon now. Designed by buttheads who have never had to repair a car in their life.

sw20, Aug 19, 8:23pm
I was annoyed I had to remove the grille on my GT Corolla to remove the headlights. At least they are actually made of glass though.

lythande1, Aug 20, 8:31am
Husband decided to refurb the gearbox in his Austin Cambridge once. Took it apart, horrified at how many parts there were. sorted it, reassembled it, and told me the gears were a bit stiff. Uhuh, unmovable more like. Oh he said, there was this bit left over.

Yes he took it apart AGAIN and redid it, installing the leftover part and it was fine but he decided he'd never recondition a gearbox again.

kazbanz, Aug 20, 11:20am
Changed the left front strut on a cheap trade in. Real cheapie so fitted a used strut from reputable supplier. Strut was bent so had to do the whole job over

richardmayes, Aug 21, 11:43am
Not in the same league as anything you professionals can do, but replacing the headlamp bulbs in our Toyota Estima was a real stumper for a while. Not the bulb itself but refitting that damn wire clip that retains the bulb in place afterwards. I had to balance my phone in there with the selfie camera acting as a mirror, as the only way of being able to see what I was doing.

(Fortunately it is a Toyota so my phone and my hands didn't get dirty from being in the engine bay.)

I remember the same job being trivially easy in my old Falcon.

bigfatmat1, Aug 21, 12:26pm
sometimes alot of headlight bulbs although just accessible. Its easier to pull a bumper off and remove headlamp so you can see what you are doing and not tear your hand to shreds on other items. Most cars a front pumper can be off in 10 mins or less

apollo11, Aug 21, 12:43pm
Snapped off exhaust studs in hard to work places are always my favourite.

4.11, Aug 24, 7:18am
ha ha yep, cheap exhaust manifolds young dudes buy for their nissan patrols are always bent about 3mm-5mm, box a beers a plenty fixing,drilling out broken studs front and back of cylinder head, bugger of a job to get that rear stud out without head removal

kazbanz, Aug 24, 2:53pm
ACTUALLY --probably the most frustrating /infuriating job I've had to do lately is take new photographs of around 50 cars because Trade me in their "wisdom" decided to change the rules for trade listings . AND removed every single advert with any pricing stickers on the screen.

saxman99, Aug 24, 3:28pm
Seriously? Bloody hell.

sandypheet, Aug 24, 3:49pm
VC Commodore heater cores.

apollo11, Dec 2, 11:08am
Add Ford Courier cores to that.