Cv boots

jojo76, Nov 28, 5:54pm
Last week I noticed something one the side on our AWD, close inspection today it is grease, we have a torn/split cv boot on passenger side, driver side cracked but not leaking grease. Given garages not open and I’m impatient, roughly how much would it be have it fixed. It’s a Toyota Vangaurd, Thanks

jojo76, Nov 28, 6:31pm
Sorry isn’t not a cv boot but suspension boot/shock absorber cover, think it’s called.

intrade, Nov 28, 7:21pm
no one ever has fixed any of that. However if it gets worse dirt can get on the shock and damage the shaft seal So best to keep a eye on it,
So if it gets worse the strut i presume needs to come out and the boot replaced to try and make the absorber last most of its useful live it has left. But its not like a cv boot.

budgel, Nov 29, 11:00am
If it is not leaking grease, where did the grease you saw come from?

kazbanz, Nov 29, 11:51am
Could you clarify please.?
If it is the shock absorber then the cover is there to prevent damage to the shaft by dirt/stones etc. But the suspension itself is a sealed unit so no "grease" should be able to be seen just a nice shiny silver shaft.
My concern is that theres two possibilities. -1) grease has splattered out from somewhere else and covered the shock--ie the outer CV actually IS leaking or and imo more likely 2) the shock absorber IS damaged and leaking. In either case to be sorted out the shock needs to be removed so that either it gets replaced if leaking or a new dust cover fitted if not.
That said--if it isn't the shock leaking then the source of the grease needs to be found. The only grease I can think of in the area actually IS the outer CV

intrade, Nov 29, 8:11pm
THE OP SAID ITS NOT LEAKING GREASE= there is no grease as obviously there is no grease on or inside a shock boot it was a statment that to me means its definetly the shock boot. AS there is no grease so it cant be seen. Dont know but its real obvious to me if it is written this way.
READ post #2

budgel, Nov 29, 8:50pm
He misidentified which boot, ok. You cant misidentify grease!

marte, Nov 29, 11:40pm
Believe me, you can.

kazbanz, Nov 30, 7:47am
Ive read and reread it.
Last week I noticed something one the side on our AWD, close inspection today it is grease, we have a torn/split cv boot on passenger side, driver side cracked but not leaking grease.

intrade, Nov 30, 8:21am
#9 so they dont know if there is normally grease inside a shock absorber boot. hence the comment "but no leaking grease" that was a observational comment . think about it.

martin11, Nov 30, 8:27am
But the grease on the outside had to come from somewhere else .

bill-robinson, Nov 30, 12:38pm
me thinks the OP needs to take his vehicle to a mechanic to find out what is wrong.

s_nz, Nov 30, 12:51pm
My suspension covers have perished and are breaking. Mechanic advised not worth fixing. Apparently there are other seals to keep dust out, and as such it is not worth the cost / effort to replace. (mine are on coil overs, so I gather it is quite a bit of time required to replace them.)

jojo76, Nov 30, 3:33pm
So cv boots are fine. Suspension boots are perished cost to fix $500.

The grease was NOT coming from the vehicle, but my husband was parking his car in an area of grease (from trucks) at his work, hence why we had grease splatter 😂

marte, Nov 30, 3:48pm
If they are doing suspension boots, they probably are replacing the bump stops & any worn rubber bushes as well.
Normally it's the sort of job that will incorporate a bunch of maintenance at the same time, possibly including brake pads, brake caliper work, rubber bush/seat at the end of the spring, handbrake cable work, brake hoses & caliper piston boot.
If it's a 'Coil over' shock absorber, mostly the bump stops are under the boot, on the shock absorber itself & since they are like $10-$20 each, about the same as the boot, and you need to remove & disassemble the shock absorber to do the job, might as well replace anything more than 1/2 worn while they are at it.
Since the wheels off, changing the brake fluid is a easy job.

kazbanz, Nov 30, 4:37pm
My honest recommendation for you is not to waste your money replacing the shock "boots". My reasoning being that it is a 10 year old car and suspension is an item that does wear out. Im confident that $400 ish of that estimate was labour so better to wait until they start leaking then change the entire shocks for new ones including boots.

intrade, Nov 30, 4:50pm
new chinesium boots will turn to dust in 2 years . the one with split is probably going to last longer then the replacement from the onehang low district.

cabrio1, Nov 30, 7:28pm
P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

https://aviationhumor.net/pilots-vs-maintenance-engineers/

Not really relevant but reminded me of my days in aviation

cattleshed, Dec 2, 1:35pm
Removal of strut is usually separate from removal of brakes. No need at all to do the list you are suggesting.

cattleshed, Oct 16, 1:47am
$500 is way over the top. That work, both sides should be no more than $300 incl. so shop around! Keeping the moisture and dust out is advisable however, if the struts are functioning well then due to the age of them well just wait til it is a WOF fail and replace complete strut units ie strut, concertina boot, spring and top mount both sides. The fact that they are fully assembled complete units you are assured that there will be no issues AND you will save on the repair bill since both sides should not cost more than 1 hour labour for a straight sway over!