Warranties

totalimp, Aug 18, 11:11am
Ok next question.
Warranties when buying from a car dealer? Not worth it? do you bother with a AA pre purchase inspection or anything? Out of town purchase so unable to go to trusted mechanic

budgel, Aug 18, 11:20am
I have my doubts about an AA inspection, but would get one from an independent mechanic with a good reputation.

Warranties are another way for a dealer to make money, and they have all sorts of loopholes. The consumer guarantees act offers a fairly high level of protection.

kazbanz, Aug 18, 11:47am
What car are you concidering buying?
I would always suggest a PP inspection
mechanical breakdown insurance is fantastic for later on in your ownership but not worth anything during the first 6 months or so.
Technically you are covered under the CGA etc.
Caviate on that--Due to a lot of factors many dealers are just closing up shop. Very difficult to make a CGA claim against a company that's gone.

totalimp, Aug 18, 11:52am
Jeep Wrangler, approx 165,000kms. We've always bought warranties when we've bought new cars but never claimed on them. I've also never done a pre purchase inspection. Guess we've been lucky so far. Part of me thinks if we can afford the $3K warranty then we can probably afford the repairs *if* needed. It's way out of town, no friends/family within that township so wouldnt have a clue on any trusted garages in the area. Would also be going to get it on the weekend so no where open. Risky but hopefully worthwhile

bumfacingdown, Aug 18, 11:56am
$3k does not necessarily go that far on repairs

kazbanz, Aug 18, 12:13pm
$3000 for a warranty? that's insane.
But equally theres two others with FAR better k and same money

totalimp, Aug 18, 12:15pm
We are trading in so going via a dealer. The cheaper ones i've seen are via private sale?

kazbanz, Aug 18, 12:28pm
2010 done 165?-two others both at dealers --same money lower km

totalimp, Dec 5, 2:57am
Can you please pop up links? I can't see them. I can see a 2007 for $28K and a 2009 for $25K but the 2009 has higher kms and the 2007 is 3 years older? ETA looking at 4 door/LWB