Targa time?

serf407, Jul 21, 6:21pm
Targa 2020 main event reduced to 4 days. Some not wanting to be seen taking part. Organise a sandspit to coromandel ferry for them, to avoid the cross-auckland touring section?

https://talkmotorsport.co.nz/rally/targa-nz-reduced-to-four-day-event-to-meet-the-market/

sr2, Jul 21, 10:30pm
LOL , it's hard not be "seen to be taking part" while exhibiting a garish plethora of sponsors sign writing all over your bloody car! Have to say it's the first I've heard of the issue, although in industries where there have been big layoffs it's very understandable.

There are some great roads up North, rumour has it they’ll be using part of the Old Russel Road as a special stage - that will be fun. For the Coromandel part I’m picking (i.e. hoping) they’ll be using Whangapoua Rd as well. It’s the crazy Goat Track from Coromandel Township that heads over the hill towards Whitianga. Sheer switchback lunacy on the way up (with big drop offs) and big balls “trust ya brakes” on the way down – a great way of separating the men from the boys! We ran it twice in the 135i, it will be interesting to compare times.

Update on the clutch issue - current theory is using a flex plate as a flywheel has been limiting the clutches ability to dissipate heat and we have a billet Yella Terra on the way. Ended up pulling the motor as well; we had some blowback that I suspect was caused by running a stock EGR system with a catch tank but the big issue is we haven’t a clue re the engines internals. We’ll do the piston heights, CC the Trickflow heads and look at the compression ratio. We’ve had an engine guru we trust (Formula 5000 experience) suggest we may need more compression – quite common apparently when someone puts aftermarket cathedral heads on a standard LS bottom end. Most importantly we can identify the cam we’re running and do the same re the pistons (we haven't a clue about either).
If anyone’s interested I’ll keep you all informed of progress.

lythande1, Jul 22, 1:41pm
Yeeha, Targa!

sr2, Jul 22, 3:38pm
Finally managed to find some footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35B4ooOlSZE&feature=youtu.be

jmma, Jul 22, 5:29pm
Yep, interested.
Rigormortise on hold then ?

sr2, Jul 22, 6:32pm
Still slowly chipping away at the Rigamortice rebuild, but I've got a new boat, a new job and some more house renno's to keep me busy as well.
I've learnt I'm at my happiest with too many rather than too few projects on the go.

serf407, Aug 20, 4:51pm

sr2, Aug 20, 7:17pm
Yeah, a bit of a bugger.
Got the motor in pieces and we think we've found another 100hp and an extra 800 rpm.

sr2, Jul 2, 9:39pm
Anyone out there in MB land into the Hawkes Bay Targa this weekend?
If you're down there don't forget to say 'hi'. I'm the bald headed old prick in the Auckland Panel and Paint "bog standard" LS1 Altezza.

poppy62, Jul 2, 9:59pm
What happened with the BMW?

sr2, Jul 2, 10:14pm
We decided that after 35 years of Targaring the old boys needed a final fling (or two).

We've moved from a wonderfully well sorted and reliable 135 BMW to a totally unpractical 99 Altezza running an LS1 (Trickflow heads, SM4 Autronic, etc.) through a 6 speed Hollenger and a Harrop diff, with big brakes & Proflex suspension. what could possibly go wrong?

tamarillo, Jul 3, 6:59am
Lots, which is why you’re doing it.

poppy62, Jul 3, 6:50pm
Never the Twain shall meet! Mixing occidental with oriental may result in accidental! Good luck mate!

skully13, Jul 4, 6:57pm
Car is still running. No major dramas, just could be faster.

sr2, Jul 6, 9:51pm
LOL, that wasn't half of it! :)

A brand new twin plate 7 1/4 inch Tilton clutch managed to weld itself together to the point where clutchless changes reigned supreme, (bless the Hollinger God) and touring stages just scared the locals!

Fantastic weekend.

serf407, Jul 7, 4:05pm
Does the Aus sequential require an Aus clutch?
Some clutch theory with a Aus clutch engineer. (up to 264mm)
https://youtu.be/jYaVoTHxMZI?t=1450

sr2, Dec 3, 9:08pm
The box we run has not got the sequential kit fitted, it's a straight H pattern.

https://holinger.com.au/showroom/h6s

Xtreme Clutches are sold in NZ through BNT, we've looked at Xtreme but they don't appear to have anything suitable.
Our issue is that we need to be able to still drive on public roads in the touring stages, hence the 7 1/4 Tilton Rally being a big favorite. We'll do some more research but it's looking like the same clutch running a higher clamping force may be the answer, have to wait until the clutch is out before we can make a decision.