How would you go about this

Page 1 / 2
mk3zephyr, Aug 4, 11:03am
We have an employee who isn't toeing the line. We are a service industry that deals with the public both in our premises and out in the field.
This employee has spent many years working in a factory and came to us for a change. He has a bad habit of just helping himself to other peoples tools and leaves them lying about the workshop and leaves his mess behind for others to clean up.
We also have a corporate image to adhere to (we are a franchise) but the employee insists on turning up with a dirty sweatshirt covered in pet hair and a pair of dirty old trackpants. His personal hygiene also leaves a lot to be desired and today stank to high heaven.
The Owner of the franchise lives in another part of NZ and comes up once every 3 weeks or so, The employee was sent home last week to change as he cant go to customers sites like that, He came back and spat the dummy and said there was no way he was going to change unless the company paid for all his clothing, even though if we want work gear we are subsidised 50%, (shirts jerseys, boots are supplied by the company).
The guy has no drive, takes forever to do a simple job, just very lazy and smelly. They work on wages + commission and he comes in and mooches around the shop and steals the workshop guys jobs, Its got to the point our other techs will spend minimal time at the workshop when he is there, Apart from the obvious (sack him) what would you guys do to get such a worker to buck his ideas up or is it really a lost cause?
Cheers

woodypc, Aug 4, 11:08am
Probably a good idea to [post in the "jobs" forum but I think you need to start with warning, and make them written ones. I think you will just have to follow the rules and then get rid of him if he does not come right.

mk3zephyr, Aug 4, 11:09am
yeah i will post over there but I also thought I might get some ideas here as there will be no doubt a few here who have been through this at some point in workshops etc

apollo11, Aug 4, 11:10am
Fire him. He doesn't care enough about the job to wash regularly or dress appropriately. Total lack of respect for you and his co-workers.

franc123, Aug 4, 11:12am
Written warnings would be the go from now on. What would concern me as an employer is if this individual has such little pride in himself and has no issue with representing the company in this way, what on earth is the workmanship like? Have a yarn to your customers and see how happy THEY are, remember with a lot of people it take a fair bit for them to make a complaint. Your other staff are clearly not satisfied either, I sure as hell wouldn't be if my gear wasn't being respected.

sr2, Aug 4, 11:51am
Has he been in your employment under 90 days?

mk3zephyr, Aug 4, 1:45pm
no unfortunately, been there about 5 months, was ok at the start but standards have slipped bigtime lately.
Been with us 5 months, Knows it all already, wont listen to guys who offer advice, has to learn the hard way, even has a cardboard box with his name on for his f**kups

intrade, Aug 4, 7:38pm
you need to make a printed rool book and hand it to all employees.
then you call out the ones not obey the rools give them warnings that its unacceptable and that they clearly can loose there job if they dont adheer to the rules. etc and then you can fire them when you taken all steps to make sure he cant ring them lawyers for unreasenable dismissal.
Thats what you will need to do and i cant help you any further you can look at some videos from the americans they got good stuff about managment to keep a shop profitable. i read that stuff just out of interest but its good stuff that makes sense . like have you got a tiger in your shop was one i article i did read.

intrade, Aug 4, 7:43pm
read here maybe you will end up taking some shop managment classes in the usa.
i dont have employees but i am still interested to learn free stuff they cant give all info for free logically.
but read here that is the tiger story i did read i think.
http://www.searchautoparts.com/there-tiger-your-shop-bob-spitz

the biggest problem is on small business when the shop owner service writer is the tiger and the owner of the shop, that be like them restaurant owners whom gordon ramsy try to save and they know everything better then gordon and think they dont need to change.
if that guy is the tiger then he has to move from his position just like a bad chef has to employ a non tiger and move in the background or close up shop sooner or later.
this is not for your case poster 1 but i noticed last time i posted about this that the owner who asked for advice was not willing just like them geezers whom are close to bancrupcy in gordons show to actuarly take things on board. with the answer the usa was not nz.
basic rules apply world wide and a tiger knows everything or pretends to do so.

mrfxit, Aug 4, 8:30pm
As others have said, there are a few things you NEED to get in to place & very publicly (internal workshop memo's etc)

#1:
Print up & laminate the "Company Rules of Conduct" which includes dress code, how to treat other staff & customers
(Keep it really simple but leave no room for interpretation)

#2: Display this in several places including where customers can see it & smoko room plus office.

#3: Wait approx 1 week to see if theres any reaction or changes from staff.

#4: Use strong "suggestions" to those staff causing problems that if they keep doing things wrong, they will start to receive official warnings.
(I would suggest 3 suggestion warnings for each situation)

#5: Act promptly & clearly with verbal warnings for modest infringements
Written warnings for major infringements with a total of 3 warnings in each area.

#6: DON'T do this all in 1 day, if it's that bad then make sure it is or can be considered a lethal cause of trouble for dismissal (probably under the "gross misconduct" reason.

All this done clearly & correctly should & probably will see you clearly in the right to dismiss the worst offenders.

Time + ample official warnings + documented situations & if you have video/photo or customer complaint letters evidence of the situations, then thats even better.

Get the correct paper work in to place ASAP, you may need it to cover your collective butts later.

budgel, Aug 4, 8:57pm
How did this liability get employed by you in the first place?

Good advice above.

mk3zephyr, Aug 4, 9:02pm
I didn't employ Him, I was on the shop floor but have moved up to management. Maybe he thinks he should be there instead of Me, You know, His 5 months of experience to my 15 years and all hahahaha

kazbanz, Aug 4, 9:19pm
Zephyr- I pretty well agree with Mrfixit.
You need to find the company dress standards etc.
Literally every single box has to be ticked properly and in the correct order or it can get very messy.
Keep in mind though its always better if the guy quits rather than being fired.
Once you have posted up the dress standards required then clearly he can't be given "jobs" in the field if he doesn't meet those standards.
One notice I would post up is that each employee is responsible for their own tools. perhaps even to the extent of locked toolboxes
Another line of investigation is bullying.-If the guy concerned is using standover tactics on the other guys then encouraging official complaints will be another nail in coffin.
BUT--all that said. What kind of worker was he 5 months ago?
Speaking as a human not as a boss I have to ask if there are issues he is dealing with outside of work. I don't mean normal "life" stuff we all deal with but serious stuff.
Another line of attack is to say that it isn't working out him being in the field.You trialed it and it hasn't worked out.

franc123, Aug 4, 9:23pm
Can happen easily, have you ever heard of people being given good references in order to get rid of them? Becomes a real mine field for prospective employers if an about to be ex employer gives them a reference that's not glowing but above average as "encouragement" out the door. Seen this happen more than once, including one freshly qualified individual in the motor trade who mostly knew what he was doing for his age and experience and had a terrific reference but it was self evident after a few weeks that he was there to do the minimum possible and showed no talent or enthusiasm for what he was doing, disliked the people he worked with and vice versa, including the DP, and worse didn't give a toss about what damage got caused to customers or company property. Playing in a pub band all weekend and smoking dope were his main interests it seemed, one cockup on a hazy Monday morning and the boss finally lost it and he was gone by smoko. Complete drop kick.

poppajn, Aug 4, 9:33pm
Do an Undercover Boss on him.
If he has no respect for himself then he won't have any for the customer's property nor the job he doe's.

gmphil, Aug 4, 9:44pm
simple give him a new job with a title lol a shift sideways with a promise of wage increase in three months and new rules to get himself fired !

ambo11, Aug 4, 9:51pm
Think you would have to be very careful about the way this is dealt with.
Maybe have a meeting with him (official and with HR etc) to discuss your concerns and point out he at present isn't making the grade, so to speak.
That would make it obvious to him he needs to change, and he might even leave himself.
There will be a proper way, but simply firing someone isn't easy nowadays and leaves you wide open to comeback and hassle.

sr2, Aug 4, 10:18pm
Good advice here, you need to set up a performance review and tread very carefully, everything had to be done by the book to avoid a potential grievance claim.

whqqsh, Aug 4, 10:38pm
yup, even the box with his name on it for F' ups could be seen as harrassment, I'd get rid of that & be careful as to the process

mopsy3, Aug 5, 12:19am
You cant just fire someone because they smell and are lazy. There is a process and it starts with a meeting with the person and a simple discussion about the problems. This meeting should have notes written down. He is given a date by which he has to improve and then another meeting and a written warning is issued if there is no improvement. Again with another date for improvement and the consequence. Unfortunately for the employer, the guy can improve and then go back to his old ways and the whole BS cycle starts again. It is not easy to get rid of a worker simply because he is lazy unfortunately. Unless of course it says in his contract that he cant be lazy and smelly, then there are no issues.

msigg, Aug 5, 2:46am
Yes to mrfixit you need rule and conditions in place, also he ned KPO to adhere or reach, with disipliary actions to follow if not achieved etc, yes verbal/written warnings, all signed by both parties etc.

mk3zephyr, Aug 5, 4:15am
haha his F' up box he made himself and implemented by himself. He could have issues outside of work, Will have to sit down with him and tell him what I expect and too see if there is any external issues which may be impacting on him. Our busy time of year is coming up soon and I fear he will be found wanting if socks are not pulled up

pyro_sniper2002, Aug 5, 5:29am
Even if you do it by the book sometimes you end up with a PG. Sometimes it's worth just asking them how much they want to go away.

mrfxit, Aug 5, 5:47am
LOL yea NAH, do it correctly "by the book" & very shortly you will be able to fire him.
That in turn will screw him a bit better for trying this crud on other employers should prospective employers ask your company.

Do the paper work, put it up so theres NO chance of him not seeing it.
Draw attention to the company rules at a staff meeting but without singling anybody out & if somebody bites, Ignore it/ deflect it to a later date.

Arrange individual staff members meetings ASAP for job/ workmanship evaluation reasons

captaink, Aug 5, 6:51am
All above is good advice but written warnings on their own are not enough. You must work with the employee to rectify the things he is warned about and be seen to assist them to stay in their position (FFS), just keep raising the bar! The other workers will have a fair idea of what is going on but it is a minefield and he sounds like one to tread wary of. Good luck.