Quickest way from tauranga to hastings

Page 1 / 2
coober, Sep 5, 9:50am
hi
i know how to get from auckland airport to tauranga but not from tauranga to hastings, which will be the quickest way driving of course. google maps says to go via State Highway 1 and Thermal Explorer Hwy? is this the fastest way

lookoutas, Sep 5, 9:58am
Depending on where you are leaving Tauranga from will determine what route to take to Taupo, then take the Taupo/Napier road.

coober, Sep 5, 10:05am
will be leaving from greerton end

lookoutas, Sep 5, 10:09am
Go through Pyes Pa to Rotorua, then on to Taupo. A little bit windy in places, but a good drive.

Could also be a good opportunity to try out the new road past Te Puke too.

Where's this Thermal Explorer Highway?

coober, Sep 5, 10:22am
google says it's over a mountain range towards hamilton but to me that looks a longer drive

sred69, Sep 5, 10:25am
Yeah go via pyres pa to Rotorua then take highway 5 (thermal explorer highway) to taupo then taupo Napier highway

dublo, Sep 5, 10:33am
Get MAPS and always have them in your car! You can work out what route you want to take, see how far it is and work out how much fuel you will need (you won't find any service stations between Taupo and Napier.) And if there are road blocks due to weather or accidents you can easily see detours.
All basic motoring common sense

dublo, Sep 5, 10:37am
PS If Google tells you to "go over a mountain range towards Hamilton" that is all wrong! (And to get to Rotorua that way there are 2 mountain ranges to cross, the Kaimais and Mamakus!)

coober, Sep 5, 10:38am
cheers for your thoughts

morticia, Sep 5, 11:36am
I usually use the Kaimai/Tok road to Taupo, about the same travel time, nicer drive IMO. Personal preference.

golfdiver, Sep 5, 12:01pm
Only one, once you are over the Kaimais, straight to Taupo via Tokoroa . Don't go near Rotovegas. Or you could take the road less travelled and go via Murapara and Lake Waikaremoana.

lookoutas, Sep 5, 7:58pm
True - but an increase in the possibility of having a chat with a cop.

upnorth, Sep 5, 7:58pm
Turn off 5 to go via Reporoa and get direct to Napier turnoff before Taupo.

henderson_guy, Sep 5, 8:01pm
You're going to Taupo, not Rotorua.
I've travelled to Taupo many, many a time. sometimes by truck, sometimes by ute. I've tried all the routes, and this is what has always been the quickest.
Head over the Kaimai Ranges towards Hamilton.
At the bottom of the ranges, turn LEFT onto RapuRapu Rd (SH28)
At the end of that road, turn LEFT (Still SH28)
At the end of that road, turn RIGHT. (Still SH28)
A couple of km up that road, there is Whites Rd off to the LEFT, it is signposted as Putaruru (STILL SH28)
At the end of that road, turn LEFT (Now you're on SH1, and about to pass through Putaruru)
At the roundabout in town, turn LEFT and carry on down SH1. Follow that road, and it will lead to Taupo, after passing through Tokoroa and Atiamuri. Once in Taupo, head straight ahead through the roundabout, over the bridge,carry on a few KM and there will be another roundabout signposted for the Napier-Taupo Highway. Follow that, and you're there!

henderson_guy, Sep 5, 8:09pm
I carry a fully updated road map for anywhere I may be at all times in my pocket. Otherwise known as a smartphone!

morticia, Sep 5, 8:33pm
Never did.

When the kids were young they liked to to stop at Hatu Patu rock. It broke the trip but was all good.

lusty9, Sep 5, 8:41pm
before you get into Taup?? turn left to Reporoa and take the detour which you'll come out at the Napier/Taup?? rd then over the hill to Napier and then onto Hastings.

lookoutas, Sep 5, 8:56pm
Pity you couldn't use the forestry road. Legally!

hawat, Sep 5, 9:23pm
Got a mate who is a ranger for doc and a mad keen trout fisherman. He told me that you can get a permit to use the forestry roads. Told me ages ago that the quickest is: Go to the Mount then on to Matata, Te Teko then a forestry road behind Kawerau. Can't remember exactly but I think you go by the Matahina Dam and you come out on the Napier - Taupo road at Iwitahi on the Rangataiki plain. Miss out both Rotorua and Taupo. Just tried to get my mate on Facebook but he's away - fishing in Queensland - his wife told me DON'T BOTHER HIM!

tintop, Sep 5, 10:13pm
And guess why it is less traveled. You will catch up with your own back bumper on some of the bends.

lookoutas, Sep 6, 4:26am
You need to have a good reason to get a permit - like doing work for them. We used to get them when spraying the pine trees around Tokoroa, and it was a cap'n'hand exercise.
I used to get lost on a regular basis, and jump on that road at Kawerau and come out further south. But would have got a big growling if ever stopped, or worse, have an incident of some sort.
I would have acted completely lost in order to BS my way out.

lookoutas, Sep 6, 4:32am
Only as far as Napier?

But that is probably the way I would go from that end of Tauranga 9 times out of 10. Pyes Pa is just to break the norm.

Giving those left, left, right, left, left directions could get confusing if someone gets left wrong, or goes right past a left. That's why I suggested Pyes Pa.
In fact, if there's a lot of traffic, I chuck in a left before the last left and take Harris Rd, right into Domain Rd and left onto SH1, which misses out Putaruru.

henderson_guy, Sep 6, 6:53am
If I was stuck behind a truck, I'd do that too, but most of my southbound travelling on that road was before dawn so not often much traffic. Coming back though, definitely.

lookoutas, Sep 6, 10:27am
Jeez - I just realised how confusing that might be. You're driving down SH28 after taking the second left, and turn right onto SH5 which now morphs into SH28 for the few KM until Whites Rd. Where it then turns back into SH5.

Sort've confirms why I first mentioned to the OP who seems to be a complete stranger, that they should look at Pyes Pa.
All that requires is to go straight across the roundabout at the end of Cameron Rd, and follow ya nose until reaching a right turn towards Ngongataha, then straight ahead and down SH5/Fairy Springs Rd, which morphs into Old Taupo Rd until they reach a right turn towards Taupo.
This is still SH5, stay on that road until Wairaki and follow the signs.

tim41, Sep 6, 10:45am
you will not get a permit end of story,and if you do drive on the million dollar highway and the other timberlands roads off it and get caught you end up with a tresspass notice and told to go back the way you came