New worksafe legislation 2016

Page 1 / 2
bjmh, Nov 12, 4:29am
Death prompts call for wide-load overhaul

NZ NewswireNovember 11, 2015, 1:41 pm

?

bjmh, Nov 12, 4:31am
I went to an MTA worksafe course last night ,it is a minefield,then you read this sort of news story,how would more regulations change some peoples attitudes.

henderson_guy, Nov 12, 4:45am
A house will generally have at least 3 pilot vehicles in front of it with amber and purple beacons, the truck itself will have orange beacons and the front of the house will have marker lights around it. How on earth can you not see it? Reminds me of the guy who ploughed up the arse of a motorway safety truck at night with all its beacons and arrows going. There is only so much you can do to protect people from themselves.

henderson_guy, Nov 12, 4:50am
II work in what worksafe deem a "high risk" industry and have attended some additional safety courses. Many people don't realize just how many teeth worksafe have got, some are really going to have to change their ways. It's only the tip of the iceberg too. Workshops, your time in the spotlight will be coming.

lookoutas, Nov 12, 4:53am
Was backing out the drive at lunchtime today. Normal practice is to pause before moving across the footpath, have a little looksee.
Now - if I'm walking in that situation, I will stop and let the car get out, and most do.
Holly bloody hell - in the mirror I see a super-charged shopping cart go streaking past - running the gauntlet. Bloody near crapped myself.

butterfly05, Nov 12, 5:24am
Theres a point where a line has to be drawn on all this safety BS.

I work in a workshop enviroment and some of its fine but the direction they are going is just getting ridiculous.

I actually think its all part of a an insidious conspiracy to make the west totally uncompetitive.

ryanm2, Nov 12, 5:33am
yeah - its waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper to helicopter relocatable homes from China.

lookoutas, Nov 12, 5:37am
Yeah - we prick our finger and it has to be recorded.
Next they will want it recorded if we do it the other way around!

butterfly05, Nov 12, 5:40am
No its cheaper to ship them pre made in containers actually.

mad_signtist, Nov 12, 5:50am
You should see the crap in dealing with while operating my cherry picker and putting up a 15 to 40min sign.

henderson_guy, Nov 12, 5:55am
Walk in the park. I'll swap ya!

stevo2, Nov 12, 6:03am
I spend about 2hrs a week just on the paperwork to keep them happy if they turn up. Another 10 hours a week goes into keeping the site safe so an average of 12 hours per week.
Unfortunately, the customer pays for it.

mad_signtist, Nov 12, 6:18am
Yeap! So much crap now. Traffic management companies will be loving me now lol

Site plans for over 80 billboard sites.

henderson_guy, Nov 12, 6:33am
Traffic management is a con. The last time I needed traffic management was for a job up north where we needed a full lane closure for the whole day (9-3 ise full day). So after they fluffed around settng up for nearly 2 hours, the toolboxes, permits and everything else were sorted (also in proximity to power lines) we had about a half hour to get to work before we were shut down by the stms as there was too much traffic building up. So, in addition to the traffic control, there was the linemen, myself with a machine, and another gang with a digger, 2 trucks, and 4 or 5 guys who just wasted half a day. Big bill with nothing to show for it.

morrisjvan, Nov 12, 6:34am
Saw some blokes mowing the grass on the side of the road today,First up a ute , with a large illuminated sign, next a huge traffic control truck,with more arrows than custers last stand, then the flat -bed truck that the mower was on , also with flashing lights, and finally the mower itself with more flashing lights! That's 3 men and 3 (4 if you count the mower) vehicles,that have to be paid for to do the work of 1 man ! Just f&%king ridiculous !

pete48, Nov 12, 6:48am
Saw a quote recently for repainting a shop frontage. Job quote was a touch under $1000, traffic management was over $3000. You'd wonder why you bother. Just get in there at 4am and hope no pissy pedestrians around. Peter

kazbanz, Nov 12, 7:32am
ACTUALLY guys-The scareyest moment I have ever had on a motorcycle was in this exact situation. Those houses are transported late at night.
There may well be orange lights on the truck and on the vehicle in front but the last thing you would expect entering a narrow bit of road is for a HOUSE to be taking up the ENTIRE road from side to side.
I get wide load I don't get wide load that fills the entire road from side to side.
The other thing is that the white flashing lights are blinding after a few k's in the dark so you can't see beyond and to the left of those lights.
I genuinely feel that where the road narrows to the point you cannot get past the oncoming house then the road should be blocked totally to prevent oncoming traffic.

mrfxit, Nov 12, 8:20am
Son works for Downers on traffic management.
He's a busy lad with some really long shifts setting up & taking down site setups.

nzjay, Nov 12, 8:29am
I got a price for a reroof. $7500 for the materials and labour, PLUS $7000 for a certified contractor installed scaffold safety rail!
Yep, the customer pays.

franc123, Nov 12, 8:42am
Blow that crap, this nonsense is choking the economy big time. You got a serious problem in your country when compliance costs meet or exceed the cost of the job.

captaink, Nov 12, 11:23am
Any idea what it costs and the rigmarole in 'Closing a Road' entails, It's not granted lightly,notifications in the paper, individual letterbox drop, set times for the closure ( a major if you have problems prior to the road closure section) plus surely if you are blinded and can't see, you would stop anyway and the pilot vehicles would have been directing you right off the side of the road. Out for a bit of a 'spin' maybe? Always expect the unexpected.

henderson_guy, Nov 12, 5:40pm
Amber and purple lights should be enough. I'd sugest that if you saw 3 or 4 vehicles with red and/or blue lights, you'd slow to a crawl.
Oversized loads travel our roads every day, except long weekends/Xmas period, and traffic needs to be stopped all the time for bridge crossings, heading the wrong way through roundabouts, or in the case of Auckland, taking up 5 lanes and running a red light just to get around a corner. Class 1 pilots have almost the same level as traffic control as a cop does, so you are required to stop for them when asked.
Also, the lead pilot when transporting a house (or anything extremely wide) will have a big sign on top of his vehicle saying DANGER: SLOW DOWN. This is the only situation where you will see such a sign on a pilot vehicle, so it's a clue that something big is coming.

brapbrap8, Nov 12, 6:31pm
Just saw on the news that someone was killed near Auckland this morning in this exact same situation, now the coroner will have a lot more ammunition for their crusade against oversized loads.

bjmh, Nov 12, 6:32pm
The maximum fine for a company causing death will be 3 million $ and or 5 yrs in jail,i said to the tutor. we may as well murder the person,you'd probably only get 10 yrs and no fine. the other gem that came out of this is there's a company who can get you up to compliance,it costs $1100 a year . plus all your upgrade costs.The reason cited for all this is "Pike River". remember "Cave creek". the Govt f. ks up and we pay.One of the guys at the course was a panelbeater who had a worksafe inspection recently,he had all his car paints stored correctly,but had a water based paint with them. to touch up his smoko room. worksafe gave him a written warning for that.

intrade, Nov 12, 7:07pm
you know why its cheaper to murder a person then cause accidental death?
because when you murder somone the government deems you have no money to be had - when your a company. hand rubbing money money money big fines and jale = big profit because you must have money to be had , And when you put 2 and 2 togather its not about savety why they write laws and legislation for its for more revenue to be gathered . why else would a murdered get less jale time or fines otherwise. logicall thinking concludes this easely .