Best place to buy car in Auckland

julie_, Sep 23, 2:09am
Hi, I am wanting to buy a second hand Toyota Echo and have started looking on here but wondered if anyone could help me with where else I should look.Also, I am wanting a NZ new Echo, rather than a Vitz, but is it worth looking at Vitz models as well as I know they are sometimes cheaper.Thanks for your help :)

tgray, Sep 23, 2:12am
The Vitz is the import version.
If you specifically want NZ new, then the Echo is what you want.

julie_, Sep 23, 2:14am
Thanks, sorry my post must have been poorly worded.I know the Vitz is the import version, but wondered if I am being too fussy ruling it out!Just wondered what others thoughts were as I don't know much about cars.Thanks :)

tgray, Sep 23, 3:35am
I would consider both, but it really depends on how important a NZ new car is to you. NZ new would have a more verifiable history (ownership and perhaps service), but may have less features. I would recommend the 1300cc version over the 1000cc and the 4 dr over the 2 door, but it's really what suits your needs that's important. Be prepared to pay more for the larger engine and the 4 doors. Like any car, check it out thoroughly before buying.
I have owned both, but prefer the Toyota platz personally. It just felt better to drive and had a more refined feel to it. I must admit, the centre digital dash on these cars took time to get used to .

gman35, Sep 23, 5:33am
Is this The SEDAN you want ! Surely not for the looks !I test drove an approx '05 import 1000cc hatch for the mother in law 5yr ago. Was from a local $9995 yard. Had to tell her the '99 pulsar ( that she was going to get $2500 for as a trade-in , and we sold privately for $4700) drove like a new rolls Royce compared to the bumpy Toyota roller skate. Hope you are happy with a nice one but that hatch I tried was not very refined.

kazbanz, Sep 23, 7:11am
Hi Julie
If you are looking at the hatch backback then the NZ name is Echo and the Jap import is Vitz
If its the 4 door sedan then The Jap import name is Platz.
Jap import VS Kiwi New in this SPECIFIC case
There really is NO mechanical advantage either way as long as we are comparing BRAEBURNapples with BRAEBURN apples. Ie engine and transmission. are the same
The kiwi cars roll off the self same production line and have the same engine and drive train as the Jap import version.
The Jap cars tend to be better spec'd as a rule. By that I mean they all will have electric windows,central locking etc. whereas the kiwi cars can be downspec'd -windup windows No central locking basic air con etc.
The kiwi cars will have milage you can check on on carjam from new and will always have a kiwi sterio.
The Jap imports will ALWAYShave had a pretty intense safety inspection (called compliance) making sure it hasn't been rusty. in an accident,have worn out tyres.brake pads etc. A kiwi car could have nbeen repaired several times by an insurance company as long as they never deregistered it
In either case service history may or may not be available.
So in a nutshell It comes down in my opinion to the individual car rather than a generic answer.-You'll find a jap import thats mint and a jap import that utter rubbish-same with a kiwi car
I do agree on one point. Buy a 1300cc or 1500cc versionthe 1000 really doesn't cut it

julie_, Sep 23, 8:33am
Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it :)

I have owned an echo for the last 7 years which I am happy with.During this time I have only ever had to take it to mechanics for maintenance like brakes so I know they are reliable and that's why I would happily buy another.

I am definitely looking at 4 door versions and 1300cc minimum.I heard the 1000cc echo/vitz are awful to drive.

Will check out the sedan version out also thanks tgray.

kazbanz, Nov 15, 10:40am
Julie I'd like to offer a suggestion. Try taking a 1500cc Mazda demio for a drive. I'm NOT saying don't buya vitz/echo.but what i am saying is just give the demio a crack. I suspect you're in for a shock as to how much better the little mazda's have gotten