Decision making!

Page 1 / 2
2cherootz, Nov 18, 11:12pm
I'm after a 4x4 7 seater diesel and with limited money its either a bighorn or pajero, what i want to know is which has more pros than cons, in other words, which do you people think is better

mugenb20b, Nov 18, 11:18pm
To be quite frank, either way, you'll end up with money pits, especially if you are on a limited budget. Never buy an old diesel. I've seen too many people getting burnt who were in similar situations. If you MUST go there, get a manual 3.1 Bighorn, with service history if possible.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 18, 11:24pm
Are you actually offroading in it!
What sort of purpose is intended for the vehicle and whats your budget!

2cherootz, Nov 18, 11:28pm
Ease of gettin in out of,(had surgery on my left knee recently), towing, fishin off the beach

2cherootz, Nov 18, 11:29pm
$2, to 2.5

mugenb20b, Nov 18, 11:30pm
Stay well clear of any 4WDs in that price range.

2cherootz, Nov 18, 11:41pm
regularly, got four kids, the mrs, mum in law, boat, so need towin capabilities as well, and to be able to go on beach hence the 4wd want

thejazzpianoma, Nov 18, 11:46pm
I think realistically on the budget you need to forgo the beach. Its going to be a compromise no matter what you do. See even if you do get a Diesel 4x4 like you have in mind the compromise is going to be the running costs and repairs. there is so much that could go wrong with a vehicle like that which could easily cost you more than its worth.
Why not think outside the square and consider an old quad bike or something for the beach access part!

BTW, the likes of the Sharan has plenty of grunt for towing. Just make sure you service the transmission regually.

EDIT: Just to clarify further, while those sorts of 4x4's are often known for problems your situation compounds things further as you are going to be looking at very old examples that are well past their use by date.

2cherootz, Nov 19, 12:16am
thanx for the sharon idea, but lookin at it u cant see out the back, looks worse than a spare tyre hangin there, lol

mugenb20b, Nov 19, 12:24am
So get a Honda Odyssey (with a 2.2 litre 4 cylinder engine). They have a mirror mounted on the bootlid, you can see the whole rear bumper and a towbar, handy when backing up to a trailer.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 19, 12:30am
$100 will buy you a reversing camera which is what I would do. Realistically none of the vehicles that suit you are really going to be significantly better.

msigg, Nov 19, 1:11am
Jazz has some good points,that sharan has already cost someone $2000 for the injector pump so that should be good for a while.Those sorts of cost could appear in an old diesel.

2cherootz, Nov 19, 1:13am
back to my original post guys! one of the two vechiles im asking about, i dont want to know how much you hate jap 4x4s, which one you guys know about what im asking, to pass on a simple answer, i didnt ask what you would buy!
Thanx!

2cherootz, Nov 19, 1:14am
being as its european i aint surprised

thejazzpianoma, Nov 19, 1:20am
LOL, it would run rings around what you are looking at with regard to reliability. I do know a bit about the two you are looking at but my advice is "dont do it" for that money.
I will leave you to it, best of luck with whatever you get.

mugenb20b, Nov 19, 1:49am
Did you not read my first post!

2cherootz, Nov 19, 1:58am
that might just be, but for 2g i dont expect it to be reliable as what a "sharon might or might not offer", but then id have to buy a tow bar"another cost and inconvenience" it wont take me down around the beach either, hence the options of vechiles, so come up answers to questions i asked or dont bother at all. thanx

matarautrader, Nov 19, 2:21am
We have had Bighorns and Pajeros and currently have a 94 Pajero 2.8 DT auto. I found that if you get a auto Bighorn it continually changes gear going up hills which is really annoying.They also take about 2-3 km to warm up enough to go into overdrive.Both were reliable, both use about 10l/100km. Our experience has been that as long as you service them properly they are reliable. We cuurently use our Pajero to tow a caravan of about 1400kg and its not the fastest vehicle on the road but it gets us there. We are now considering a change to a petrol 4WD challenger or similar as we believe that with the cost of RUC and more frequent and also more expensive services of a diesel that a petrol equivalent vehicle that does 13.5litres/100km or better will be more economical.

2cherootz, Nov 19, 5:16am
thank you very much, which drove nicer overall dou you think!

dr.doolittle, Nov 19, 6:20am
I'd be looking at old Previa's & thats all (as in, not much else) on that budget.

2cherootz, Nov 19, 7:48am
got one, gutless for towing

matarautrader, Nov 19, 8:59am
My preference of the Bighorn/Pajero would be the Pajero. In your pirce range you can get both 2.5 and 2.8 motors. Go for the 2.8.

dr.doolittle, Nov 19, 10:25am
You didnt mention anything about towing before.
Ops, I see you might have mentioned a towbar.

dr.doolittle, Nov 19, 10:28am
Good luck.

budgel, Nov 19, 7:15pm
Let us know what you end up buying.

Good luck with it!