Do Cheaper tires wear out faster!

Page 1 / 2
comfreak91, Jan 17, 11:21pm
Hi Everyone

Looking at getting tires (Possibly the duro ones from discount tires) and just wondering if they wear out faster than something more expensive! Car is really only being used around the city. Thanks Cheers!

vtecintegra, Jan 17, 11:27pm
Actually they often last much longer as they're made of a harder compound.

Obviously performance will suffer in a big way over something better quality

phillip.weston, Jan 17, 11:27pm
some cheap tyres have a really hard compound and therefore would last longer, but the downside is their grip levels are sub-par, and often you come across defects like out of roundness and delaminating. Other cheap tyres provide the same lack of grip but wear out just as far as more expensive tyres.

If it's just a passenger commuter car I would fit tyres from the name brands (ie Dunlop, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Yokohama, Firestone, Falken, Federal, Hankook, Kuhmo, even Nexen and Kingstar) that fit within your budget, rather than saving a few bucks and going for Triangle, Ling Long, Wanli, BCT etc

bigjerry, Jan 17, 11:30pm
i NEVER scrimp on tyres. EVER. its the only bit touchong the road.

scoobeey, Jan 17, 11:43pm
And lets face it the price between an average tyre and an excellent tyre is only a few dollars:) seems madness to scimp

comfreak91, Jan 17, 11:53pm
Great thanks a lot. Sounds like I'll be going with the Hankook . Just dont want anything noisy and all. thanks!

friendly_prawn, Jan 18, 12:08am
chucked a set of very cheapies on a while back, got unreal mileage out of them. couldnt believe how long they lasted.
If your like me, and your a reasonably sedate driver (most of the time)
Then there's nothing wrong with cheapies.
Its not as if your going to go racing with them or doing drifting around the streets.

richardmayes, Jan 18, 12:18am
The rate of normal tread wear isn't the only issue.

In my (humble) experience you get far more random mid-life failures with really cheap tyres. hernias, bulges, de-lamination of the sidewall, all sorts of laughs.

moosie_21, Jan 18, 12:31am
After buying some upper-range Toyo's, would never go back to buying anything cheap. Can handle everthying I could possibly ever hope of throwing at it.

friendly_prawn, Jan 18, 12:34am
Every one's experiences differ.
After years of only buying the cheapest tyres, I have never in my life struck any of the above issues mentioned.

Although I do remember have a set of very high performance low profile tyres on a ute, (already on it when I bought the ute)
Drove over a small rock on the road and it punched a hole through the tyre. Never dreamt a stone/rock could do that.

Had to wonder at the time if it had something to do with being a low profile performance tyre.

skin1235, Jan 18, 2:44am
seriously, buy some mid range, and store them for a year somewhere warmish but without too much direct sunlight - tied to the roof in a shed is typically a good place, you'll be amazed at the wear you get out of them, in my experience up to 4 times what you get from a fresh tyre

pandai, Jan 18, 2:51am
Out of curiosity, what does this do to the grip!I need to replace my Michelin MXV8's and have found a couple here but they've been sitting for a year, I wouldn't buy them if they were not as grippy.

mr40cal, Jan 18, 8:41am
ffs, where does this bull shit come from - google your crap idea and you'll see it is worse for modern tyres

friendly_prawn, Jan 18, 9:08am
actually performance or budget tyres should be the least of anyone's concerns when buying tyres.
Any one buying new tyres should be checking out the age of the tyres, brand new or not!

Often new tyres can be quite old and past their used by date.

Might be an intersting read for you guys.

Sorry, cant be assed tiny urling it.

http://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=839&q=tyres+dangerouns+after+6+years+old&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=tyres+dangerouns+after+6+years+old&fp=60dba5cc198e6ab2

mrfxit, Jan 18, 9:19am
Yep.
Big stink about that a couple of years ago
Learning how to read the numbers can be a bit scary some days
Here ya go
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

pollymay, Jan 18, 9:26am
Heat cycles are fun, always fun to soften up some old tyres with a burnout in the shed. At worst it's hella fun, at best they will come right. Although some tyres don't like heat cycles.

wrong2, Jan 18, 9:38am
the + side to cheap tyres , is that its far eaiser & safer to pratice your 4 wheel drifting with them

a18a, Jan 18, 11:52am
LOL there's a tyre brand named triangle! hahahahha

doug207, Jan 18, 12:04pm
Lower speeds =)

Plus they are nicer to use for strawberry patches, I made one a month or so ago, they are coming along greatly.

boat3, Jan 18, 6:10pm
i tried linglongs to stack up for growing spuds,6 high.didnt get very good results.might try bridgestones,or firestones next.maybe those cheap tyres are no good.

skin1235, Jan 18, 6:59pm
could have sworn I said hang them up for a year, all the googling I could find suggest that you should get at least 6 yrs from a tyre and rec. changing them if 10 yrs, the OP has already said he does little if any highway running, mainly commuting, if hanging them for a yr gives him 3 or 4 times the life for the same cost where is the harm in that practice, and where is the bs in my post
you may have an opinion that it is better to buy new and fit them today but when I had 24 trucks with semi's and trailers, the standard practice was to fit maidens on the front, retreads elsewhere, and age the new retreds for a min of 6 mths, 12 being better.
In 6 yrs of that I had 3 tyres that delaminated, most lasted between 3 and 9 mths depending on where they were fitted on the unit / HP/ surface/ driver, loads were always within legals ( milk tankers) but hey what would I know, I only used about 50 - 60 per year, @ $mega each, and for my own car I had very good mileage from aged tyres with no issues

lovemore_mbigi, Jan 18, 7:08pm
Funny thing is - "new" premium brand tyres have often been sitting in storage for years, whereas budget tyres are usually factory fresh.

Stock turn rates are very different between them.

mr40cal, Jan 19, 5:36am
yes that is the same isn't it . . . . . . . . the aging of modern tyres is detrimental to their performance including noise and handling - any muppet that actually knows what they are talking about knows this - you on the other hand obviously don't - back to school please

mr40cal, Jan 19, 5:38am
maybe in a back country workshop - can't understand why you think it is common practice in a modern store/shop - please clarify

carkitter, Jan 19, 8:35am
Then don't go for a block type tread pattern go for one that has 3/4 straight through grooves and a wave type pattern across the tyre. Also press on the sidewall and the tyre shoulders (where the edge of the tread meets the sidewall) and see how stiff it is and compare to different brands. The stiffer the sidewalls and shoulders, the better the braking ability and steering response.