VW Touareg 4.2 V8

matrix140, Jan 31, 7:38am
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience with the 4.2 V8 Touaregs!Considering a 04/05 vintage as these seem to be quite reasonably priced.I do however wonder about reliability . not sure why as they are probably fine, but its just the whole second hand euro scenario going through my mind.

I read a 4WD mag the other day which suggested these are actually very capable offroad especially with air suspension which I was plesently suprised about.It will be on the road 95% of the time but its always nice to be able to hit the gravel and mud occasionally.

I realise economy is a realitive word when talking about a heavy vehicle with a 4.2 V8!But how bad are they!Especially in comparison to something like the 4.0 V6 Prado as I have had one of these before.

Any first hand experiences would be appreciated.

asa50, Jan 31, 8:50am
Economy and V8 rags a never together, I occasionally have the use of one, expect average of 6km/l around town.
Could not comment about off road ability but no low ratios or diff locks like a cruiser may limit it. (there may be some electronic skullduggery in the background to compensate for this)

morrisman1, Jan 31, 10:15am
Remember a lot of your off-roading ability comes down to tyres, and the tyres typically fitted to a touareg would be designed with not even gravel in mind.

chris_051, Jan 31, 10:19am
Exactly, diff locks and low range don't mean much when there are low profile 19" performance tyres putting the power to the ground. Lets not even mention the space save spare!

wrong2, Jan 31, 10:20am
for what its worth , engineers voted the VW V8 as engine of the year multiple times over

i havent read any on how well they handle increased HP tho . . . .

asa50, Feb 1, 8:41am
My bad, off roading the example i drive now and then would be nothing more than double parking outside Nosh

vag.central, Feb 2, 9:42am
4.2 diesel! My boss has a v10 tdi, has so much power yet its so cheap to run

intrade, Feb 2, 10:46pm
if you buy a tuareg you buy a diesel.the v10tdi can tow a
7 ton combine harvester thru the mud

mcscottwgtn, Feb 3, 12:13am
Didn't the v10tdi pull a jumbo jet as a stunt!

muzzie, Feb 6, 6:14am

fordcrzy, Feb 6, 6:25am
i would price up the cost of tyres before buying one. a trip to the bank manager evry time the tyres are due isnt fun.

vag.central, Mar 17, 4:02pm
Boss just had to get new tyres for his, hes got 22" rims on his and was around $1k each