Dick Smith Electronics

Page 1 / 2
mk3zephyr, Dec 28, 10:24am
Bowled on in today as i needed some solder to put in a new stereo in the missus runabout, Guess what, Dick Smith Electronics dont sell it anymore.
Said to the bloke behind the counter is he joking with me he said no they havent sold it for about a year now and some crap about Dick Smiths not selling it because they are trying to be an environmentally friendly company and Solder has lead in it.
Whatever next!, So much for being an electronics outfit, Bloke said to go to Jaycars or Supercheap. I thought an Electronics outfit thats has been around for years would at least sell Solder!, Sign of the times huh, More into selling big ticket items instead.

skin1235, Dec 28, 10:27am
$2 shop mate, a card with 2 15 gram tubes of it, very fine though, excellent for simple wiring, not much cop for heavy clips grommets or lugs

cuda.340, Dec 28, 10:27am
you're lucky to buy wire & a switch from there now, definately gone mainstream commercial

ginga4lyfe, Dec 28, 10:28am
yeah, I just go straight to Jaycar electronics now. though they are getting more expencive, they are becoming a chain monopoly of sorts

johnf_456, Dec 28, 10:30am
Its been that way for a long time since they rebranded themselves from dicksmith electronics to dicksmith. Followed by selling their parts to jaycar.

the_don_61, Dec 28, 10:40am

the_don_61, Dec 28, 10:44am
have a look at thier web site.It Is just "DICK SMITH"No electronics about it.

johnf_456, Dec 28, 10:47am
yes thats why I said from dicksmith electronics to dicksmith. Aka they use to be called dicksmith electronics before under going a name change.

the_don_61, Dec 28, 10:55am
yeah they used to be helpfull and know thier stuff.they dont even sell PL259 plugs now either

scoobeey, Dec 28, 11:53am
wont bother with d smith again .bought an invertor which spat the dummy ;had to waut 2 blardy weeks to repair and if they found nothing wrong charge me 50 bux for the privelege,bought off jaycar and asked if it spat dummy what would they do.they would REPLACE it .so wont go near dsth again

monzaman, Dec 28, 12:08pm
I needed a simple capacitor for my power inverter which DSE didn't stock a Jaycar did for fifty cents so where will I go next time I need something !

sr2, Dec 28, 12:21pm
I usually use Jaycar, RS Components, Surplustronics and Element 14 (formally Farnell).

mk3zephyr, Dec 28, 5:48pm
Dick Smiths is owned by Progressive enterprises who also own the Countdown chain of supermarkets, Only reason i went in is because wifey works for countdown and i have a staff discount card which works at smiths as well, unless i'm buying a ticket item i dont think i will bother going back in, Jaycars was shut, so just got a roll from supersheep.

rivermist8, Dec 28, 5:58pm
http://www.electus.co.nz/index.aspThis site is worth checking for items once available at Dick Smith. I think they are Jaycar suppliers.

ryanm2, Dec 28, 6:12pm
dealextreme.com is the one of many sites worth checking for eletronic gear - so cheap and shipping included in price.

kevymtnz, Dec 28, 7:10pm
DS is starting to be a seller of rubbish
dont buy their named rechargeable batterys as the 4 i have didnt last 6 months and were only charged about 10x

bashfulbro, Dec 28, 8:21pm
Dick Smiths no longer sell Car Stereos.they distract drivers, and are bad for hearing

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 28, 8:24pm
What a load of waffle! He's obviously never heard of lead-free solder.

But they haven't been an consumer electronics component company for a few years now. Jaycar have taken that role. They're concentrating on the 'peddling shonky retail junk to the mindless dweebs' end of the market.

bashfulbro, Dec 28, 8:26pm
Went to buy a particular USB lead from Dick Smiths.$31.00.as i was about to purchase, a stranger tapped me on the shoulder and said.you can buy those at the 2 dollar shop.i said ,yeah, but theyre probably rubbish made in China.he said , look where this one is made.China.so off to the 2 dollar shop, sure enough.identical.$2.

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 28, 8:27pm
http://www.dse.co.nz still has the 'e' for electronics.

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 28, 8:29pm
Seriously. you didn't realise most stuff is made in 'China'!
That doesn't mean they're of the same quality though BTW.

galex, Dec 28, 8:32pm
Indeed. but the first thing you see when go thereis "DickSmith.co.nz", don't know why people are squabbling over this, they have simply re-branded themselves and kept there old website name for reasons of continuity.

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 28, 8:34pm
*although I have little doubt they were the exact same item in your case

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 28, 8:37pm
Who's squabbling! We're discussing it.

johnf_456, Dec 28, 8:40pm
They just own that domain name for people that are not aware of the change for example.