Do Harley Davidsons hold their value!

Page 1 / 5
fitandhealthy, Jan 8, 12:41am
Im talking standard used models say from the 90's upwards, lots on T.M, but they don't seem to sell, any opinons out there!

tantric5, Jan 8, 12:49am
1340s.mmmmm not so popular these days

attitudedesignz, Jan 8, 12:59am
They'd have to, because they can't hold the road.

fitandhealthy, Jan 8, 1:08am
haha, I'm just wondering if the demand is decreasing, or maybe the sellars have over realistic price expectations, and more importantly if I bought one what are the chances I'm going to lose money.

msigg, Jan 8, 1:10am
Yea not so much discresionary spending these days. they only appeal to a few types so the market is limited and I suspect flooded with wannabes.
Also registration is expensive and insurance.

sw20, Jan 8, 1:11am
The only thing that HD seems to hold onto is its amazing marketing.

They made a good product 70 years ago and are still cashing in.

brokebloke1, Jan 8, 1:22am
I bought my Harley over in the states and got it shipped back here saved myself $7000 over the price of a new one thru a dealership here, and its still worth more than what I paid for it . Have owned it for 3 yrs

attitudedesignz, Jan 8, 1:37am
Yep but i find their current TV ad a bit odd.

1: Hardcore HD fans know what "cage" means but would never be swayed to buy one because of an ad.
2: People like me know what a "cage" is but would never own one (again lol) so wouldn't be swayed by an ad.
3: That leaves the accoutants & lawyers that go for their "biker" rides on sunny weekends.and i'd bet my left one NONE of them have a clue as to what a "cage" is LOL.

mantagsi, Jan 8, 1:54am
Depreciation is a fact of life with just about any type of bike / vehicle, so you gotta look at your pile of dough and ask yourself, do you want to go and make an investment or do you want to buy something you can kick around on and have a bit of fun! If you want to make an investment, be sensible and talk to the accountant / stockbroker :)

tantric5, Jan 8, 1:55am
for accountants and lawyers

cage = car LOL

wannabe outlaws! I gotta laugh when I see a nerd on a Harley with a leather jacket on flying top and bottom rockers with Hog Club insignia.

i-n-horz, Jan 8, 3:25am
I bought my 86 Softail Custom in 88 for 16k and judging by the TM sellers and what sells I'd probably get 10+k for it.not too bad.
The choice is ultimately up to you and there's a wide range of makes and models on the market so test and try before you buy and then buy for your reason.
I'm not prejudice on who owns,rides or drives whatever, each to their own I say and if someone happens to have the same interests as myself that's great no matter who the ferk they are.

dore2, Jan 8, 3:33am
Had many makes of bike. Harleys are the best keptbest,polished kerb side agricultural machinery. When they leave the kerb edge they are so not up to it.

i-n-horz, Jan 8, 3:44am
I guess that depends on what you want to get up to dore2.I've owned many bikes also but I'm a cruiser now and the HD is up to it perfectly, when I was younger the GSX1100 was up to it for my needs then.if you expect machinery to do something it wasn't built for well of course then the results won't make you happy.

NZTools, Jan 8, 4:01am
I was getting a "real" tractor ready for another days work last week, when an HD potatoed past the workshop and stopped a few hundred metres up the road. I looked up to see he had got as far as the seal ends sign. Obviously too scared of the gravel to continue, he turned around (that took a couple of minutes) then he potatoed his way back down the road the way he had come.

I think my farmbike would be more at home on tarseal than his HD woulld be on gravel. lol

i-n-horz, Jan 8, 4:09am
Obviously not confident enough to ride on gravel.does take a bit of skill on an HD, ridden a many gravel road two up and loaded to the hilt (the bike not me) and found keeping a fairly quick but steady pace made the riding easier.even use to crack the throttle here and there on the bends kick'n the ass out and get'n a slap on the lid from the Mrs just for fun.

msigg, Jan 8, 4:27am
They do sound great and look good.

i-n-horz, Jan 8, 4:32am
What I like about them is that they vary so much probably the most personalised motorcycle around.they don't all look the same or sound the same or even perform the same which make them pretty unique to any other make or brand.

trogedon, Jan 8, 4:33am
I have a customer who had one recently. He said the welds on them were ugly. Frames made in Indonesia and shipped back to the States.
A classic one would be much more likely (and likeable) to hold its value than a modern 1340 etc.If you want an asset for the future a Hog is not what you??

msigg, Jan 8, 4:39am
If you want to hold your value you need to buy an old old motorcycle some of those rarer ones are expensive.

i-n-horz, Jan 8, 4:42am
i-n-hornz there are plenty of other makes/bikes that get personalised.
There sure is but the old HD seems to be the most predominant.

desmodave, Jan 8, 4:56am
Another he said storyTrog just like the Jeep story.Was checking outa Kawasaki alloy framed jobby at a dealer years ago when the sales man came over.I said has this bike been repaired and he said no its a new bike.He was still going over the bike as i was walking out the shop.Cant recall why i was checking out the jappa it may have been the welding that drew me to it.

richard198, Jan 8, 4:58am
"The old Hoggly Dog potatoed it's way up the road!"
Thanks NZtools; not heard that term before!
I think people get them because they like the look, sound & image of them.
Certainly not for handling, reliability or resale value.
I've been tempted in the past, but there are other bikes I prefer.

desmodave, Jan 8, 5:01am
If you buy right and like it resale is not such a head fark.Most bikes arent an investment just something else that takes $ to keep on the road.Good fun though if thats what your into.

trogedon, Jan 8, 5:18am
I agree re more HDs modifyed than other brands but I've got a Yamaha SR500. Search for pics of them and it's getting almost impossible to find 2 that are alike.

urbanrefugee54, Jan 8, 5:38am
ex partner & I used to barrel race [and other games they tend to have at the rallies] his electroglide, even with paniers, it had very good handling.