VN hoodlining, best option.

Page 1 / 2
dave653, Mar 4, 10:22pm
G'day all, I have the rear screen out for rust repairs, removed the saggy hoodlining while I could get it out, need to fix it before the missus gets back from Christchurch next week. I could spend $200 to $400 having it done proffesionally, but it could take a while due to material being difficult to get.
Would contact glue do the job, or would painting be better! Anyone done this recently!

directorylist, Mar 4, 10:36pm
Depending on the roof, i've had reasonable success with contact adhesive and a black felt like material, its a different story if its a suspended headlining

dave653, Mar 4, 10:53pm
Jeez, thats a quick response, don't you fullas got a job! Yeh, me niether, stuffed back. Can only do about 2 hours at a time so have to pull finger to get it all back together.
Cheers for the info.

dave653, Mar 5, 2:12am
Don't panic, I won't tell anyone! Can't deliver, flat out trying to get the frame ready to put the screen back in. Also, in Whangarei. Thanks for the offer.

dave653, Mar 5, 2:15am
By the way. is it possibleto glue the original back on without the foam!

chris241, Mar 5, 2:19am
just had a new hoodlineing made for my vr ss as was all hanging down only cost $120 (i took it out). Wasnt worth glueing as it has a foam backing on them so will just happen again if you try to glue it

im_andrew, Mar 5, 4:47am
As others have said, take the old lining off, scrub the board back with a wirebrush, then glue (spray on contact adhesive) on new fabric from spotlight or somewhere.

johnf_456, Mar 5, 5:15am
Holdens are sure prone to this, when some people in here claim they are prefect.

quickstitch, Mar 5, 10:36am
don't wire brush, holden headlining are made of crap cardboard. best just to rub the old foam off with your fingertips. Dont even bother trying to glue the old one back up. A) it has probably stretched so none of the cutouts will line back up, and B) without the foam backing on it, the glue will bleed thru and show. I can do you a deal, hoodlining fabric and an aerosol can of Ados F2 for $140, including courier.

quickstitch, Mar 5, 10:40am
John 456, holdens headlinings do crap out, but no where near as bad as BMW. I think BMW tried too hard to make their cars GREEN, as in bio degradable. unfortunately they started to breakdown while still in service.

johnf_456, Mar 5, 10:41am
Yes I think everyone knows the obvious holden roof liners break, pretty obvious is uit not. But yip BMW do it to, but the subject is on holden hence talking about holden.

quickstitch, Mar 5, 10:44am
Get a life muppet

quickstitch, Mar 5, 11:44pm
did you go running to TM again john !. another warning.

ct9a, Mar 6, 12:05am
i hear only the supercharged ones are!

quickstitch, Mar 6, 3:16am
I would be first in line to bag a holden but know it all john is far off the mark. Considering Holden commodore has been in the top two or three selling cars for god know how long, there aren't many dropped headlinings. I have probably only done six holden headlinings in my twenty odd years as an auto upholsterer. And taken maybe another three phone inquiries from would be customers about them. And the ones i have done are all VN/VP models, so they are 20 years old so cut them some slack. now BWMs, some only 8 years old, and i've would have done around 50 of them.

johnf_456, Mar 6, 4:12am
Every car has flaws mate, no need to get upset because someone mentions a "common problem". I have had holdens also myself for a short period of time and they both had the roof liner problem. All I am saying is simply put is they are over rated cars for which some people claim they are perfect (as in no faults and the best thing since sliced bread, is that hard to understand).

Or are you one of these that claim they are perfect. I have no problem with holden but when you have owners that have there head stuck somewhere, then yeah the sun shines (not saying you but some people in here FYI)

johnf_456, Mar 6, 4:13am
And you reasoning behind this is / proof. I don't even know what you did.

Based on the fact several holdens need roof liners vs other makes of car that don't need the roof lining touched ever in 20 years. So to me personally its a common flaw / fault regardless if people like it or not. Nothing is perfect in life, but you still have the sort that "claim" holden is vs other cars that don't need the roof liner touched ever!

xacoon, Mar 6, 4:41am
you swapped camps quickstitch! accusations of being a holden man, and here I thought you were blue blooded.

3962, Mar 6, 4:53am
Hey, quickstitch, just wondering around how much would it cost to get the seats in an SR5 Hiace redone pretty standardly but a bit firmer! I'm thinking of getting them done. Cheers.

quickstitch, Mar 6, 11:28am
John, twice i've had conflicts with you and twice i've had instant warnings from big brother. And someone else has had the same senario, could be co-incident but i doubt it.

Xacoon, a leopard can't change it's spots. I was born/raised blue blooded, i will die blue blooded, John's ill informed remark deserved a responce. He reminds me of MT. I just dont suffer fools well. I have replaced more BMW, Mercedes, toyota, Audi and VW headlining than commodore. the only car i've had done less of is Falcons (1 only), so to say Holden are prone to sag is a wild accusation, considering they out number all the above (maybe not Toyota).

3962, can do, but i must be running out of warnings for giving out contact details on the message boards, TM doesn't take kindly to transactionsthat they don't get a slice of the pie from.

johnf_456, Mar 6, 9:25pm
Conflicts do not mean I did it, has said before im all for face to face. certainly no sneaky, but as the saying goes no one likes been busted. So been angry and looking for someone to blame doesn't surprise me.

Well you may not think its a common issue, but for myself and others who have owned various cars the roof has never been touched. Im entilted to my opinion so its your problem if you don't like it.

attitudedesignz, Mar 6, 9:44pm
I agree with ya. Isn't it funny how one 'knac' drops off the MB but another pops up pretty quick.

knac = Know all c**t.

johnf_456, Mar 6, 9:50pm
That maybe the case or the fact I'm just unlucky with friends and family needing a new liner for over half. But just because someone makes an opinion you don't agree with does not make them a fool. I think the other person is the fool for failing to acknowledge it, everyone has different experiences with different cars and my experiences is very much the opposite of what has been said.

johnf_456, Mar 6, 9:56pm
12 headliiners of 37 is quiet high attiude thats 32.4% almost a third, so what is your common percentage. Yes it may not be common to everyone but some people the stats so otherwise. But I guess since holden is suppose to be tops, no one likes hearing about its flaws for what some claim is a perfect car. Don't get me wrong I don't have a thing against the cars but I do like people ignoring faults or known faults that they have just like every other car on the road.
http://tiny.cc/nab6q

quickstitch, Mar 6, 10:07pm
HQ's have a suspended headlining, totally different. My agrument is john said that commodore headlinings dropping are a common fault. As i have said, from my experience in the trade, they aren't common. the ones i've had to deal with are 20 year old cars, and i would put that down to age/ wear and tear, not a fault. If your 20 year old paint started to fade/peel would you consider that a fault or wear and tear.