RUC's

Page 2 / 2
clark20, Mar 6, 1:06am
No one has questioned this, even the Mini diesel is 3.8L/100km, wow this car must be amazing, even new cars can't match this.

chalkie51, Mar 6, 1:12am
RUC charges are based on registered weight of vehicle. 3 ton registered Nissan Terrano,$102.80 for 2000 km, bought this morning.

hazelnut2, Mar 6, 1:41am
The car has an onboard comp which shows how much he's using. and no lying: it showed at 50kmph, he uses 2.5 litres/100km.Peugeot 307 1600 diesel.Would post a pic, but car not available right this second.

clark20, Mar 6, 3:17am
Under the same conditions my 6.0L V8 does 4.5, wow my V8 does 4.5L/100km.LOL

mrfxit, Mar 6, 3:20am
Anyways .
My point was that the justification ofthe total cost of running a diesel verses petrol very much depends on what you want to use it for.

Unladen, my Surf over the year is probably a little more expensive then a comparitive petrol vehicle . , But with the towing & other loads it carrys from time to time & the cheaper running on a day to day basis (fuel in tank), it's worth me having it around.
Ruc's are a fixedcharge & thats fine with me (altho wish it was a little cheaper & who doesn't), fuel is the biggest random factor & maintanenceI can deal with.

mrfxit, Mar 6, 3:21am
For a domestic vehicle . nope
"average private use diesel ute!"

mrfxit, Mar 6, 3:51am
Brother inlaws ute, yea certainlly not flash on power (didn't have a trailer that day.)

I had the trailer on my Surf.

Proberly about the same HPbetween the diesel turbo & the petrol motors but yea, the torque on the diesel would be far higher.

mrfxit, Mar 6, 3:59am
88 hilux ute
Mine tho. .
Had a few complimants from the local garages about how well mine performs
Keeps up with city traffic ok without hammering it.
Was carting approx 350kg's of water in drums in the back of it, to Huntly on a reguler basis early last year (for a couple of months) & it didn't really notice the weight.
Even the springs didn't really notice any difference, they only went down by about 1".

Getting 9.5 -10L/100km's average these days after my last air cleaner mods.
January last year Hamilton to Wellington 4 adults & 10 day camping gear etc, 53 dollars to fill the tank

mrfxit, Mar 6, 4:50am
Yep but even with that I still had very close to a ton more then him including counting the body weight difference.
Unladen, his is definantly faster around town
Hence my comments about ppl needing to figure out WHAT it is they want the vehicle to do.
Is it a shopping /kindergarden cart or going to be on the road a lot/ towing a caravan/ heavy trailer

franc123, Mar 6, 4:56am
PMSL!Brilliant.

orcawhale, Mar 6, 8:37am
try more like $60

chris_051, Mar 6, 9:34am
Wow, accusing me of being a car theif for not signing up to the govts crock of shit RUC scheme!!!!
Sorry, but I'm not going to pay the same amount of tax as what a light truck/commercial vehicle pays; Isuzu ELF, Canter, Nissan patrol, Mercedes Sprinter etc etc. I have a 1400kgPeugeot 1.9tdi which can achieve as low as 5.5l/100km. Yet they want to encourage us to use fuel efficient cars. Factor in RUCs and it is nearly cheaper to use my Falcon.
As for the bloke who reckons anything not powered by petrol is charged per km, wrong, cleaner burning LPG isn't but the pump price is slowly creeping up to petrol levels.
Apart from shafting diesel owners in the arse, I'm pretty sure RUCs is around to save marine and agriculture industries from claiming back the 'road tax' incorporated in the pump price like petrol, saving a whole lotta admin, correct if this is wrong.

busdriverman, Mar 6, 9:35am
No. RUC's are based on the weight sticker you choose to purchase. EG a vehicle weighing 1800kgs empty usually used with no load in it, buy a 2 tonne sticker. Same vehicle usually carrying a 600 kg load, total vehicle weight now 2400kg needs a 3 tonne sticker.

chris_051, Mar 6, 9:48am
'Expecting others to cover my share'. you could also apply this to Camry Hybrid drivers, large car, sipping <7l/100km, where all other petrol models of its size would be over 10.
And isn't the ACC component in the rego costs, not RUC! Thanks for reminding me, I must put my 1000cc sport bike rego on hold next week, buggered if I'm paying $580 year to ride it a couple of weekends a month.

r15, Mar 6, 10:28am
what if someone drives a diesel vehicle, but doesnt pay RUC, but also has a fishing boat, with a petrol engine.

if this person uses more petrol in their boat than diesel in their truck, should they still have to pay RUC !-

- the reasoning behind this is that RUC is part of the pump price of petrol, petrol which is never being used on the road

jmma, Mar 6, 10:38am
You can claim that part of petrol tax back, If the petrol is not being used on the road, ask a lawnmowing contractor, most of them down here claim it back, from LTSD I think, same would apply to boats,

r15, Mar 6, 10:38am
easy to do!i put a fair bit of fuel through jetskis and mx bikes

jmma, Mar 6, 10:52am
I used to do it for my Lawnmower repair shop, haven't bothered for a couple of years now. There was a form you filled outand then send in your receipts and get a chq back. Pay to ring Land transport, but to answer your question, yes it was easy and worth it, I'm just not using to much petrol on the mowers these days, go for it

jmma, Jun 24, 5:46pm