RUC's

Page 1 / 2
noswalg, Mar 5, 2:37am
Can somebody tell me how much RUC's are per 1000km for the average private use diesel ute! Having trouble working it out on NZTA's confusing website.

smac, Mar 5, 2:40am
Huh. Put "ruc cost' in the search.top hit:
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/38/road-user-charges-1-6-tonne-vehicles.html#table

Type 1 vehicle (ok you'd need another click if you didn't already know that bit).

r15, Mar 5, 2:44am
about $45 per 1000

noswalg, Mar 5, 2:48am
Was looking at that factsheet but it makes no reference to how many km's you get for the $44

noswalg, Mar 5, 2:49am
Thanks r15 thats all i needed to know

smac, Mar 5, 3:02am
Ya I guess "A distance licence is purchased in 1000km units" is a little ambiguous.

noswalg, Mar 5, 3:13am
It is if it doesn't say "A distance licence is purchased in 1000km units and costs $44.31 per unit" Never owned a diesel before trying to work out the difference in running costs with a petrol, I know licences are more expensive but it seems that diesel prices are a bit more stable than petrol

mrfxit, Mar 5, 3:25am
Theres the price of the Ruc's
Then theres a std small admin fee added to EACH transaction.
Currently $187 for 4000km's on a private passenger diesel vehicle rated at approx 2 ton.

Price checked 2 months ago

Simple to check on the purchasing website & put your rego plate in or even simplier to RING them with your rego plate

mrfxit, Mar 5, 3:27am
Said this many times before

Running costs depend a LOT on if you can do the maintanence work YOUR SELF.
If you get the garage to do all your general work like oil/filters etc then it's going to be expensive to run

hazelnut2, Mar 5, 5:46am
My bf has a 2006 1600cc diesel car which cruises around town using TWO AND A HALF litres of diesel for every 100km. His tank holds 60litres, so around town he will have to have buy more than one RUC unit per tankful of diesel!The more efficient the vehicle is, the more expensive the RUC's areproportionately!TOTALLY NOT FAIR!

chris_051, Mar 5, 7:05am
how much does ruc costs. about as long as it take to disconnect the speedo. farrk em.

hazelnut2, Mar 5, 7:15am
LIKE!

pge, Mar 5, 8:22am
BOLLOCKS!

The RUC charge is calculated on the WEIGHT of the vehicle, NOT on the fuel efficiency.

If he is driving around, using the roads, then, he is liable for the wear of said roads.

FAIR doesn't come into it, useage does.

ml6989, Mar 5, 9:15am
Toyota Prado, 3 ton label, 10,000km cost me $487 in late December 2010

hazelnut2, Mar 5, 6:17pm
That is the same price my bf paid for his Peugeot 307, which weighs only 1330kg, whereas the Prado weighs 2880kg, more than TWICE as much and probably uses wayyyy more diesel to get it to move thus ROPORTIONATELY the RUC's are cheaper per litre of fuel for the heavy vehicle which causes LOTS more wear and tear on a road.How is that fair when fuel efficient, light weight vehicles are 'penalised'!

There should be a category for 'light weights' to encourage the purchase of fuel efficient vehicles, which use less of the world's oil resources.

smac, Mar 5, 7:19pm
There was, but it was scrapped. Basically the difference in wear and tear on the road is indistinguishable between a 1200kg and 3000kg vehicle. It's the big fulla's that make the difference.

Oh and how much fuel you use has got nothing to do with RUC. That's why it's on km's travelled.

dunwoody, Mar 5, 8:20pm
Hazlenut is correct. R U C is worked out on distance travelled. Petrol tax is based on quantity used. So with R U C the more economical the vehicle the more tax you pay. Two different measurements.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 5, 9:02pm
My webpage should help you work out if there is a cost saving and if so how much. www.dieselvspetrol.webs.com

elect70, Mar 5, 9:48pm
Be like biker 69 , no regos or rucs or wofs or license .take the risk !

smac, Mar 5, 11:07pm
Hazelnut was talking gibberish so I didn't bother replying originally. But now it's spreading!
Saying they are paying more tax is just bollocks. That's like saying you pay more GST because you eat less.
RUC is a DISTANCE tax, you further you go, the more you pay. It has nothing to do with diesel, it's actually a "non-petrol" tax. Use a purely electric car and you also pay.
The various taxes on petrol are a FUEL tax. The more you use, the more you pay.
If you try to compare the two, you're failing on some very basic reasoning skills.

mrfxit, Mar 5, 11:09pm
Nope, that doesn't work out .
Ruc Km's are a fixed charge no matter HOW many km's you travel as per below .

Weight & size damage to the roads are adjustedby the difference between domestic & commercial ruc charges, Also by differences between domestic ./ commercial registration & licences charges

Road damage differences between a 1 ton vehicle & a 3 ton vehicle are pretty much the same perticulerly when counting the km's difference traveled.

(at a rough percentage guess)
Most domestic vehicles would only travel something like 40.000km's per year
Commercial 44 ton capacity trucks do that sort of km's per month

Gross weight + total distance traveled + vehicle type volumes on the road = damage amounts calculated for fee's

mrfxit, Mar 5, 11:23pm
Ruc is a fixed componant per class of vehicle
Fuel used is a customer based varible as is maintenance

2.4 turbo Hilux

Very littledifference in road speeds /accelaration & fuel usage between empty vehicle & towing a combined 1.4 ton load & trailer.
4 adults & assorted camping gear driven between Hamilton & Nelson last year for 10 days, made no noticable difference in fuel usage regardless of being loaded up or not, on various trips within the bigger trip

Check what happens with a similer size petrol vehicle in the same case

mrfxit, Mar 5, 11:39pm
I do have a real live example of part of my question/statement above

My vehicle = 1988, 5 speed 2.4 turbo diesel Surf + 300kg trailer + 3 large square silage bales = approx load of 1.4 to 1.5 ton
Brother inlaws =1988, 5 speed 2ltr petrol hilux + 2 large silage bales on the tray = approx load of 700kg to 800kg

Guess who was holding who up as we traveled back between Cambridge & Huntly!

big.b-lil.c, Mar 6, 12:23am
my bet both of you holding everyone up!

mrfxit, Mar 6, 12:27am
Nuckin fumnuts
Beside the point of the example (all things being relavent)

Put it this way
He was just holding 70kph & I had to keep slowing down.