Superchargers VS turbos

Page 1 / 2
jezz43, Jan 20, 6:28am
putting aside cost of buying the parts and installing them.
which is likely to perform better! taking into account regular use, and maintenance.

engine is a 1600 4 cyl carby engine. but looking at something as a bit of a toy.

danni_2254, Jan 20, 6:31am
Turbo. I doubt the 1600 will have enough power to properly spool a supercharger

morrisman1, Jan 20, 6:32am
can you buy a hot version of the same engine to drop in! that would make more sense and you may even get around cert dependin on your WOF issuer

jezz43, Jan 20, 6:34am
from what i understand, the "hotted up" versions of these motors are very very hard to get hold of. so i will have to build off what i have

morrisman1, Jan 20, 6:35am
and that engine would be.

Someone may have some handy hints if we know what you are working on

jezz43, Jan 20, 6:37am
fiat tipo 160A motor.
1600cc 8 valve with a weber 32/34 carb
SOHC

danni_2254, Jan 20, 6:37am
Swap it out for a B16A hahahaha

detroitauto, Jan 20, 6:38am
Not heard of a 4agze!

jezz43, Jan 20, 6:38am
sorry, im not 16 years old. plus im not a fan of jappas

danni_2254, Jan 20, 6:41am
Thats a bit different, those were specifically designed supercharged engines.

danni_2254, Jan 20, 6:42am
I wasn't serious. But i'm serious when I say. GET A ROTA!11!11!

jezz43, Jan 20, 6:45am
thats nice. but no
i have 2 engine options available for my car without having modify a thing.
the tipo 160A motor,
and the tempra 1800cc DOHC.
tipo is carby
tempra is injected.
id rather keep the 1600 tho. so what i want to know is which is likely to perform better and be easier to maintain. not interested in other motors

detroitauto, Jan 20, 6:46am
they are still the same cc rating, an engine can be as small as you like, its the supercharger that needs to suit it a 1600 is well capable of spooling one

danni_2254, Jan 20, 6:47am
Based on my limited knowledge, I'd lean towards a turbo. I'm sure an engine builder will be on soon to assist

detroitauto, Jan 20, 6:49am
You got limited right

danni_2254, Jan 20, 6:51am
You're an idiot.

unbeatabull, Jan 20, 6:51am
Carburettors and Turbo's generally aren't a good mix. You can get them running well if you have an experience tuner who knows what they're doing and willing to spend quite a bit of time dyno testing/tuning, but if your keeping carb I'd be leaning towards S/Cing the engine.

Overall power can be made by either option depending on how much $$ you want to spend.

detroitauto, Jan 20, 6:52am
I would go for an sc12

foxdonut, Jan 20, 6:53am
"Specifically designed" by taking a bog standard red top 4A, lowering the compression and sticking a supercharger on it.!

The 4AGZE was designed around the 4AGE, not the SC12 supercharger.

For the Fiat question, the answer is turbo, probably. Unless the car is an X1/9 in which case a blower might be a better option because of the small bay.

jezz43, Jan 20, 6:56am
well its just a basic hatch. room may be an issue. has exhaust and inlet manifolds on firewall side of engine. end of manifold to fire wall is about 80mm max. theres a decent amount of room in front of the motor tho

guider1, Jan 20, 6:57am
Superchargers dont need 'spooling', they are direct drive unlike turbos which wind up or 'spool' by way of spent exhaust gasses.
Personally i'd convert it to EFI & fit a turbo.

detroitauto, Jan 20, 6:58am
based on your budget, an sc12 would be a cheap option, they have there own oil supply and easy to hook up, turbo on the other hand would require alot of custom fabrication.

foxdonut, Jan 20, 6:58am
SC12. SC14 (mates up the 4AGZE in the AW11 as a swap so might be an option) might not be best for a carb intake.

Arnott units might exist on some old Austin, Riley, mini's etc out there and they'd probably all fit the bill.

If you're dead serious and don't give a fig about the cost, Jackson Racing, or "New" Jackson Racing will have plenty of options for a 4 pot, although I don't expect they'd be worth the ludicrous money and run that well on an old italian engine.

You'd be better off with a cheap turbo off a metro or something.

danni_2254, Jan 20, 6:58am
It also got forged and dished pistons.

jezz43, Jan 20, 7:01am
well i have the 1800cc tempra engine available if i want it. so instead of trying to rig up injection to the 1600, would it be easier to use the already injected 1800 and having the rest made up!

if so, whats likely to be needed!