Lee-Enfield rifle parts

toppo1, Jan 22, 12:17am
Not motoring I know, but I thought someone might be able to help.
Im after a complete bolt, of a firing pin for a No4 enfield.
the pin on mine is worn to much and isint striking the primer enough to send the bullet on its way.

socram, Jan 22, 12:28am
Try the collectors thread - they might also be able to assist.

skin1235, Jan 22, 12:41am
easy enough to repair, bit of careful welding, used to do it often - ex army armament technician

toppo1, Jan 22, 12:57am
Thats what im going to do and hope it works, welder by trade so its a simple job.

Would you recommend building up the bolt face and remachining to take up excess headspace!

ralphdog1, Jan 22, 1:01am
I know where there is one that may be parted with, any idea of approx value!

toppo1, Jan 22, 1:06am
Not a huge ammount, is it a complete rifle or just the bolt.

ralphdog1, Jan 22, 1:07am
Bolt

skin1235, Jan 22, 1:07am
you didn't mention headspace in the first post

measure the excess if any, and check for improper engagement, by it's age it could well be wear on the bolt lock and or bolt lever that is the issue
don't use brazing - it won't stand the shockload and will fragment. black steel fusing if you have to weld anything, and slow cooling - very slow cooling, pack it in hot sand or heated lime dust then come back tomorrow

toppo1, Jan 22, 2:00am
can you email me a photo, toppo101 at gmail dot com

toppo1, Jan 22, 7:13am
Will check it with gauges this week to measure how much the excess there is and go from there, checked it with go/no go gauges and determined headspace was excessive but didnt measure it accuratley,Only reason I determined firing pin fault was comparing it with another bolt, using other bolt in my rifle worked.

skin1235, Jan 22, 7:35pm
then double check engagement, if the bolt body is not coming forward fully ( slot and lever wear) it will often give the same result as you claim - insufficient protusion to strike perc cap

if you cannot move the bolt forward more by means of a small lever(screwdriver!) behind the bolt lever when locked then yes you have a worn firing pin, rebuild it ( but not too aggressively - last thing you want is to pierce the cap)
excessive headspace can be shimmed, use steel shim ( thinned washer even) not brass shimstock, and ensure you have sufficient to allow the bolt to lock without binding ( shim go behind the bolt head)

you should be able to find protrusion measure for the pin online, comparing to the other bolt should give you a definite idea of efficient length

toppo1, Jan 23, 5:23am
Great, thanks for the help, will look at it over the next few days and see where the problem lies