Painting over lacquer primer

Page 1 / 2
decorator72, Apr 5, 7:06am
hi i have 4lt of lacquer primer i am on a budget , the car is going to be painted in 2k is that alright ! will there be any reactions !

attitudedesignz, Apr 5, 7:10am
Will be fine, just be sure you let it dry well. Also make sure any repairs ie: bog is finished well, otherwise the repairs may sink back.

rob_man, Apr 5, 7:14am
Go for it unless it's a cheapo brand. PPG's one is pretty good.

decorator72, Apr 5, 7:27am
The brand is autothane 1k primer filler ! what you reckon ! thanks for the reply.

attitudedesignz, Apr 5, 7:31am
Will be fine, Autothane is PPGs lower price brand. Nothing wrong with Autothane.

gunhand, Apr 5, 7:55am
Ive been down this track with customers so many times Ive lost count.
Since you are useing a 2k solid ( i assume) you may not have any problems.
The main problem being sink back or what looks like fuzzy lines in the paint.
While your paint on the car may look fine ( also assuming its a dulon type finish) its whats happening under that paint (repairs) that will cause issue later, ie, fuzzy lines etc.
If your painting over a base coat clear coat or 2k solid colourthen the only issues you may have is any repairs you do on top of it and then coat them with 1k primer.
The good thing is if useing a solid 2k you can later on if marks appear re polish them out. But in time it may come back.
single pack primers are made to be usedwith single pack paints for a reason. Its called a "system" for a reason. 2k products and single pack products move different to each other and this causes problems down the track
To give a simple example. Mustang painted in Dulon many years back and still looking fine but had a few minor dents and stone chips etc. No sink back or fuzzys anywhere in it. The owner decided to give it a respary for an up coming show and was told to either strip the car or repaint in dulon. I was told to paint it in BC CC system over the repairs and dulon paint. well the car came out fine (won a prize to) but a few months later sink back showed up in areas we hadnt touched at all. repairs from years back showed through. He was warned and should of known better.
But if your just doing a quick repaint and it dosent matter go for it it will be fine.
You also will have no warranty on anything if it all goes wrong, so you can not blame the paint.
There are sealers now that are design for such jobs but adds to the cost and time.

attitudedesignz, Apr 5, 8:02am
Geez gun', bit of a novel there lol.

We both know that the "system" is not adhered to 100% of the time. But i guess with experience comes the ability to perform "shortcuts" without comebacks LOL.

gunhand, Apr 5, 8:08am
Oh yea we all do it LOL but know a few tricks.
I couldnt think of any easy way to explian it.

decorator72, Apr 5, 8:15am
Thanks gunhand, sounds like you know ya stuff. The car is a kp61 starlet early 80's model. Do you know what it would of been painted in (all original paint) from new! And what would you recommend i should use as top coats! The only reason i wanted to use this primer is that it came with the car. Im 17 years old and this is my first project so trying to keep the price down as much as i can without resorting to a completly el cheapo job. Any advice would be appreciated

rob_man, Apr 5, 8:15am
If we followed the instructions we'd go broke eh!
The guy's on a budget, the car's probably not a big bucks item, 1K primer will be fine.

rob_man, Apr 5, 8:21am
Original paint was baked enamel similar to today's 2k. It's a totally neutral material which means that virtually any system will be happy with it as a substrate.
It's probably been either touched up or resprayed with Dulon though, this can give a few minor problems like swelling and shrinkage but it won't be fatal to a solid colour 2K.
Just make sure the paint edges and repairs are sanded nicely before priming, 150 followed by 240 grit.

attitudedesignz, Apr 5, 8:21am
If NZ new it would've been painted withLusteroid, horrible disgusting poor excuse for paint lol.

rob_man, Apr 5, 8:26am
Not all of them, I think the majority were Dulux. Berger may have figured in there too.

gunhand, Apr 5, 8:27am
Yep make sure all repairs are sanded super smooth but not so smooth as primer wont stick lol. aslo make sure the areas you are repairng around are smooth, ie the excisting paint feathered way out beyond the repair. and have no scratches showing at all, refill if needed and resand till smooth.
As said if your having ago yourself no real harm can be done and have fun doing it and learn from it.

gunhand, Apr 5, 8:32am
I bet there has been a few times some of us wish we had followed the correct procedures in the first place and kicked ourselves for a few days when we new better. I found most of the probs came down to cost with owners thinking they would save $7.50 on a repaint useing some cheap product.
But they spent 20k on the iside of a motor you never see but wanted to skimp on the paint. Or worse change there mind from, "just paint it rough enough" to "oh I wanted a show finish".For the same price to oddly enough.

attitudedesignz, Apr 5, 8:32am
Lusteroid & Berger, 2 giants from the refinish world LMAO.

Just got the shivers recalling some of the stuff i had to do in the '80s.

gunhand, Apr 5, 8:34am
God ,you just new when you lifted the bonnet on a cloud white hilux it was going to be lusteroid with no code that matched anything else.

attitudedesignz, Apr 5, 8:34am
Mate, it's like I think it then you type it.

attitudedesignz, Apr 5, 8:37am
And NZ new mitsubishi Sarejevo white.

040-041-042-043, Cloud white, take ya pick lol.

gunhand, Apr 5, 8:41am
No wonder eye matching is always the first thing mentioned on any car painter vacancy lol. Makes me wonder how there getting on actually having to miss match bumpers to the cars these days, or do they paint the whole bumper to match the car.

Yes 200 diff Sarejevos LOL.

attitudedesignz, Apr 5, 8:45am
Don't worry 'bout the bumpers mate. Next time you see a BA coon painted in Acid Rush, bend down and have a look at the sills, i'd bet my left nut you will see right through it lol.

kwdriver, Apr 5, 8:46am
I think you two might be high on paint fumes and know each other far better than your letting on lol hehe.

rob_man, Apr 5, 9:20am
I think we all live in different parts of the country but speak the same language. All painters are brothers under the skin.except for those Glasurit ones.

gunhand, Apr 5, 9:25am
UM no just on here and I use protection LOL

gunhand, Apr 5, 9:25am
Yes they skimp on the paint these days and wonder why the rust and so on lol.
Have you used Sting Red BC, god its weak shit, took 5 more coats to cover than most other reds.