AU 220kw utes

Page 1 / 3
myjg33, Mar 29, 6:21am
what year did ford start fitting the 220kw windsors to the AU utes,ive seen them as early as 2000.and how well do they go!ive been humming and harring about getting one and converting it to flat deck.i could live with the looks if it went well enuff.

mr_lovebug, Mar 29, 6:30am
From what I have heard,stay away all AU fords,the next is better.

Also goes that pre AU's are okay.

ALL AU's was problems.

myjg33, Mar 29, 6:43am
ive heard people rave bout how good they are,but in saying that ive never owned one ive never been a fan of there ugly duckling looks.but 220kws i could get used to. ugly or not.

plus flat deck falcon utes arnt pretty anyway.

1fordluva, Mar 29, 6:43am
You are talking rubbish.
Nothing wrong with the second series of AU at all.
Have owned the 6 and the 8 have had no issues except for a set of plugs on the 8,they had never been changed and done 130,000kms.

unbeatabull, Mar 29, 6:49am
BA Is where we get most of the problems with at work (A Ford Dealer), and the first lot of BFs.

chris_051, Mar 29, 6:52am
You couldn;t be more wrong, the AUs are considered the best Falcons of recent years and most Australian cabbies would agree to that.
And with the exception of the T3 Pursuit, the AU XR8 utes only had 200kw, even the series 3.

1fordluva, Mar 29, 7:02am

myjg33, Mar 29, 7:15am
i just had a look and all the utes 200kw,sedans 220kw.

myjg33, Mar 29, 7:16am
so how do they go with the 200kw!

gunhand, Mar 29, 7:20am
look how many are for sale with 2 million kms on them. Makes you wonder how they got there if there that bad.you would think haveing to rebuild your engine every 5 mins you would flick it quick or scrap it.
They do have a couple of stupid design faults though.

myjg33, Mar 29, 7:33am
did the 200kw engines have the gt40 heads!
and what design faults did they have.

1fordluva, Mar 29, 7:40am
My sedan did,I think any of the xr series came with the gt 40 heads,I could be wrong though.

myjg33, Mar 29, 8:04am
hmmmm,they dont sound to bad at all.heard im looking at 2 to 3g to convert one to a flatdeck.way more practical.
still thinking though.

1fordluva, Mar 29, 8:11am
Edited that just for you fish lol

ct9a, Mar 29, 7:39pm
like slugs

just did a gearbox on one,must say very easy to do!

xacoon, Mar 30, 7:15am
hahaha yeh coz I want a ute to go like a racecar, especially with all that grip that an empty ute has in the rear. bugger the kw you're talking about a ute. torque is what you want.

chris_051, Mar 30, 7:33am
I have an AU XR6 ute and it's not fast, but it has more usable torque than most cars on the road which is what you want. Pretty much undriveable in the wet and rips it up too easily in the dry, I'd say the XR8s are the same, an extra 25kw wont make a world of difference but it will sound 10 times better. the AU XR8 utes have held their price pretty well compared to the SS and early BA V8s, I'd probably stretch an extra 5 grand and try to pick up a manual 5.4 260kw boss but you cant beat the windsor for reliability and aftermarket potential, the BAs are pretty tacky on the inside and the 5.4 hasn't proven to be as trustworthy as the 5.0.
As for some Aussie muscle check out this vid, has a xr8 ute in here and sounds grouse
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=W0J-DHOIZFY

myjg33, Mar 30, 9:17am
geez next thing you will tell me i need a diesel ute
i want a practical v8 ute with ahenry badge on the front
not a well side coz i will wreck it in 12 months
flat deck way more rugged and usable.

myjg33, Mar 30, 9:20am
who wants a ute to go like a racecar!gotta be something i can use everyday but still have more tow than a roman sandal

xacoon, Mar 30, 9:27am
was getting at someone who mentioned they were slugs, I was merely pointing out that kw means shit really its torque figures in a big lazy 8. ah never mind,.

myjg33, Mar 30, 9:33am
allgood m8.i knew they wernt slugs
ive had a few old skool windsors and a few injected ones,just not a AU 200kw.either way its guna go well.
cheers for ya input.

ct9a, Mar 30, 7:35pm
lacking knowledge

diesals make more torque,but kw numbers down.hope you have a better understanding now

1fordluva, Mar 30, 7:45pm
Some do,but diesels sound like "I want to be a mack truck".with a big bore.

ct9a, Mar 30, 7:46pm
i recently did a surf,with stacks up threw the back floor out the roof with genuine john deere flaps and it does sound pretty tough.

1fordluva, Mar 30, 7:49pm
You may have seen the rodeo from over this way,Fire engine red with 7 or 8 inch twin stacks and big tool boxes on it called lilmack