Throwing my hands in the air

Page 2 / 2
whqqsh, Mar 30, 5:14am
shit!, to braze it properly youd have to heat the hell out of the block as itll suck the heat away & youll end up with the braze just pulling away taking a skin of cast with it. there are some bloody good 'plastic metal' fix-its these days, Ive used Devcon to emergency repair a bloody big keyway in a motor shaft & it worked a treat, maybe find out if anything is suitable, failing that cut it off clean & remake a block & stud & screw it on

mk3zephyr, Mar 30, 5:54am
Whats this Devcon stuff and where do you purchase said product from!, brazing was just a thought and obviously not a good one lol

lookoutas, Mar 30, 6:04am
whggsh is right - the heat needed would be horrendous.
Don't know anything about that Devcon, but it sounds OK. Would be a good idea to have everything fitting up tight and working, then stuff some in place.

lookoutas, Mar 30, 6:11am

mk3zephyr, Mar 30, 6:20am
yea i got that website as well, just they dont have a list of distributors, will have to give them a ring in the morning, yes that was the idea, bolt up the starter using the correct bolts and then jam some devcon in there.

saki, Mar 30, 7:07am
devcon wont hold in place its fairly liquid before it goes off.

mk3zephyr, Mar 30, 9:15pm
I would presume you are talking about the liquid epoxy, they also have it in a putty form and after speaking to them the titanium stuff is the best, Can get it from Blackwood Paykels or Bay Engineer Supplys nationwide 22.85 for a 2 pot 500g kit

intrade, Mar 30, 9:19pm
i would see if you can make a bracket to replace the bolt hole bolted elswhere on the engine and possible linked to the other holes. myght have to machine the corner of the broken hole off.

mk3zephyr, Mar 30, 9:22pm
was going to bung some Devcon in it AND make a bracket and then see how i go

intrade, Mar 30, 9:28pm
i seen this bracket done for a vw engine i think . what i was thinking one that is linked with the other bolt holes you tighten the others to give strenght to the broken side back hope it makessense. gota sit down and make few cardboard samples is what i would do to start off

sr2, Mar 30, 9:31pm
+1. I've had success with similar repairs in the past; with a little planning you can usually fabricate a solution to most problems of that type. I would be very sceptical of an epoxy / filler based solution.

mk3zephyr, Mar 31, 2:45am
yes, was thinking of one that you would incorporate the bottom mounting holes and a plate that runs up the back of the block to stop the starter moving out towards the front of the engine as it is doing. Amazing how one darned hole is causing so much grief

ginga4lyfe, Mar 31, 3:39am
eh. I dunno. I just like the buick 455

lookoutas, Mar 31, 4:41am
That's why ya gotta put a bracket on the front mk3. I've owned a Chevy with a factory one on. Can't remember whether it was the Camaro I had, or one of my boat motors.
That bog stuff wouldn't be enough on it's own, but would be better that a poke in the eye with a broken stick if you fit the proper bolts, and make/fit a front bracket.
That's all you need to do.

mk3zephyr, Mar 31, 5:13am
was looking at utilising the spare top starter mount hole and drilling and tapping a couple of 3/8 holes in the aluminium bellhousing, bolt a plate to the bellhousing, bolt a plate to the top starter hole and weld the two plates together, same on the bottom as well using 3mm plate for both.

lookoutas, Mar 31, 5:15am
That factory front bracket was a piece of crap, but obviously strong enough to do the job without too much weight and expense. It bolted to the block with one of the sump bolts, and then to the top stud of the starter. It was just a little straight pressed bracket with lugs for attaching. Your friend is 'leverage' and the front end of the starter is the biggest lever.
I'm sure a "Taranaki Gate/No8 Wire" fabrication would finish up much stronger and capable of doing the job. I would make a fork that bolts onto 2 sump bolts, then under that top nut. Simple!

mk3zephyr, Apr 1, 4:24am
Made a bracket and is out drying after i blew some paint over it, fingers crossed it will work lol

lookoutas, Sep 16, 4:08am
If that means you made a bracket for the front - I've got my bloody fingers crossed too!
But I'm telling ya - it'll work.