Help I'm stuck at work!

Page 1 / 2
ricford1, Mar 22, 5:06pm
Hi there my mum and I have just finished work and have just found that the car (honda accord 96) won't start! Turn the key and the lights on dash come on but car won't start and we can't get it out of park, please can anyone help! Thanks

rojakell, Mar 22, 5:26pm
Flat battery.

cuda.340, Mar 22, 5:51pm
dial a marshall! or jiggle the auto shifter in park incase the inhibitor is misbehaving

infamy1, Mar 22, 8:43pm
Turn off everything that could be using any power in the car- heaters, music, indicators, lights cigarette adapter. anything and everything, now try

woody1946, Mar 22, 8:45pm
Turn the lights on , if they are dim or not going you have a flat battery

spead, Mar 23, 1:44am
then get off the computer and start doing something worthwhile.

intrade, Mar 23, 1:51am
do you think they are still stuck at work

ginga4lyfe, Mar 23, 2:10am
its a fairly warm day outside, has it been in the sun all day! Id imagine its a faulty relay, as alot of honda's still suffer badly from them, so, jump in, open the doors, switch off the interiour light and give the car a little time to cool down inside, then try again, as you havnt told us if the car is turning over and how its turning over, we cant really say whats wrong!, if you are trying to start it but its just clicking, then flat battery, if it just not doing anything, then possibly a dead starter motor

ricford1, Mar 23, 2:48am
Just an update about the car and thanks for the replies.The car is still at our work . my daughter and I work night shift together and had had a busy night and were too tired to try and sort it out this morning so we walked home and decided to look at it after some sleep.I am hoping that I have just pushed it into park a little too firmly and didn't want to force the gear stick in case I did some damage.When I turned the key, there was nothing but all the lights work.We had the starter motor done just under two years ago so didn't think it was that.

fordluva, Mar 23, 3:19am
when you turned the key all the way to start it did the dash lights go dim, go out or stay the same!, if no change I would suggest the inhibitor switch (particularly if you are having trouble getting it out of park) that being the case you need to shift into neutral, look around the gear lever for an override button (often red) also I think hondas had a keyhole setup to lock the shifter so try that aswell, if the dash lights go dim, Id suggest a flat battery, out altogether would suggest a loose battery terminal.

intrade, Mar 23, 3:50am
done the starter 2 year ago means nothing unless a brand new starter was fitted back then.
I would find the contact on the silanoid and rig a spade conector that is likely on the starter silanoid and use a jumper wire direct to the battery + termibal to see if it starts when you tutch the + with that wire.
If it starts then there is no power going to the silanoid could be stop circuit from auto trans as almost all wont start unless they are in park to allow power to starter.

ricford1, Mar 23, 5:13am
Hi there ricfords daughter here .we have gotten it out of gear but now when you turn the key theres nothing, lights still go and bright tho! Tall order asking this but if there is someone in the papnui area who knows a thing or two about cars and would be prepared to have a look for us we would be VERY grateful! We would ring someone professional however my mum lost a job in the CBD and has a husband at home whos had a stroke so things are hard at the moment.hate asking for help!

xacoon, Mar 23, 5:17am
long shot but how tight are the battery terminals! give them a wiggle on the battery, if they move at all, tighten them. sounds odd I know but have struck this situation a few times.

ricford1, Mar 23, 5:27am
Ok will go and try that now.there is corrosion around the terminal could this be a problem and if so how do you remove it! I thought it had something to do with hot water!

ricford1, Mar 23, 5:31am
Cheerz for that.got it

bigracket, Mar 23, 5:32am
Just tip boiling water on them and try and turn them with your hand
they should be tight but the idea is if they move give them a twist back and forward to try and scratch a better connection

xacoon, Mar 23, 5:33am
yeh boiling water will clear that, try winding it over for 5 seconds, then see if the earth lead is hot.

ricford1, Mar 23, 5:34am
Ok will give that a go now

bigracket, Mar 23, 5:34am
I dont think thats the prob though papas post is a good shot!

xacoon, Mar 23, 5:39am
exercise all options, starting with the easiest. have struck loose terminals causing these symptoms on 4 or 5 different cars in the last 12 months. gotta be worth a crack doesnt it!

bigracket, Mar 23, 5:41am
Agreed 100% process of elimination

ricford1, Mar 23, 5:50am
Ok have cleaned terminal, checked they are tight which seem ok.gone through the gears and there is no sound when doing this.

intrade, Mar 23, 5:52am
get a stick broom handleand whack the starter while somone keeps the key in starting position

intrade, Mar 23, 5:56am
if you got bright headlights then its not the therminals or flat battery it can only be the starter or the circuit to activate the starter silanoid. as i posed ages ago above.

ricford1, Mar 23, 5:59am
Yip I remember reading that. Quite limited with tools and things so might be best to call someone