Log trucks

Page 1 / 2
brigette6, Mar 26, 7:09am
Does anyone here drive or have a partner that drives log trucks!
I am thinking about heading in that direction job wise. can anyone tell me any info, likes , dislikes about the job!
I have experience in road ranger gearboxes but limited trailer experience.

grangies, Mar 26, 7:13am
Well, surely it's not the kind of job you could enter without good trailer experience!

forest76, Mar 26, 7:16am
yeah i tend to agree with the above post, i drove one for 17yrs , not the type of job ud wanna throw a rookie into . ( no offence )

brigette6, Mar 26, 7:17am
Your probably right there. i was thinking about volunteering my time and doing some work experience with them and gaining some trailer experience that way.

brigette6, Mar 26, 7:18am
No offence taken. i have been driving class 4 trucks for a number of years so im experienced in that way. i have my trailer licence just limited experience dragging one around

pc_uncorrect, Mar 26, 7:22am
Hi again.my brother drove logging trucks for for a very long time, Foxpine, and McCarthy Transport were some of his employers.He was all over the country, Welly, Ruapehu (National Park), then before you know it, he's hauling logs from some outback block in Ruatoria (east coast) to be delivered to the Mount (tauranga).He spoke of the freedom, and awesome people he would meet on his travels, and also the hazards (public roads & off-road), but was his passion, for him it wasnt a job, it was a lifestyle.
He drove some lovely trucks, mostly large american type, KW & Mack, very powerful, the trucks sounded nice aswell, and also treated them well, kept clean n tidy.I'd say go for it, and enjoy.

forest76, Mar 26, 7:24am
my advice to u, would be to get a job on a tip truck n trailer in your area, get your experience that way, u need to be confident in your abilities to handle a logger, u can get yourself into some pretty hairy situations in the bush, ( speaking from experience ).
but in saying that, i never tipped a trailer over, for which im pretty proud of

forest76, Mar 26, 7:28am
and i see your in nelson !
thats where alot of my work was, and yeah the sounds or takaka hill, golden downs isnt a good place to have a whoops, esp considering its coming into winter .
sorry if im coming across as a negative bugger, just giving u my honest opinion

pc_uncorrect, Mar 26, 7:28am
Foxpine Youtube Channel, some nice videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/foxpine Outback Patea (Taranaki) http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=ztuDvGeFLhc&feature=related

Plenty of logging related video's on youtube.

brigette6, Mar 26, 7:29am
I could imagine some of the forestry roads would be a bit hairy in some places. i work for a company that has tip trucks. but they are in a different division in the company. my bosses have different aspirations for me career wise so i cant approach them and suggest such things. i might just have to go and see one of the log carriers here and see what they say about getting experience with them.
Thanks for your input guys

brigette6, Mar 26, 7:30am
Yip in nelson. i drive a concrete truck

brigette6, Mar 26, 7:32am
I have seen most of the foxpine videos. they are very good

dent, Mar 26, 7:33am
Can you do a few days unpaid work experience! They are quite oftern after drives so if ya get ya head in the door with the work experience it might give you an advantage. Youve got three main players. Stuart Drumond Transport, Borlase Transport and Waimea Contract Couriers.

forest76, Mar 26, 7:35am
waimea contract carriers .not couiers lol

dent, Mar 26, 7:36am
woops my bad thanks for the correction.

brigette6, Mar 26, 7:39am
I could take annual leave or i was thinking as most of the company's work 24hrs i could do some friday nights. i have been eyeing up waimea contract carriers.

dent, Mar 26, 7:41am
yup night shift usually starts around 2-4pm Depending on how the load works out.

forest76, Mar 26, 7:42am
pay wise waimea and duncan borlase pay the better, i drove for SDT for 8yrs, used to go to hokitika daily
waimea probably have the easier trucks to drive, scanias as apposed to KWs and Freightliners

dent, Mar 26, 7:44am
yeah waimea have just brought at least 5 brand new freightliners. Had some problems with scanias and the price diffrence I belive was quite atractive.

brigette6, Mar 26, 7:47am
So the nightshift drivers turn up and wait around until their truck turns up!
thanks for that forest76, its always good to know who pays the best

brigette6, Mar 26, 7:48am
I have noticed the freightshakers on the roads. they look really good.

dent, Mar 26, 7:49am
I think the day shift driver contacts the night shift driver and gives them a approximate time and plate of meeting.

brigette6, Mar 26, 7:51am
Oh yip. you seem to know a bit about them. are you in the industry!

forest76, Mar 26, 7:53am
nightshift as said above normally starts between 2 and 4pm,
my opinion .
if your serious bout doing this, go see the managers at the different companies, and ask to go for a ride along,
i wouldnt suggest nights, as the driver has to also load his truck in the bush, and can become distracted worried bout what your up too

dent, Mar 26, 7:53am
Nah just got a mate who is a log truck driver here in nelson and I often go for a cruse with him on Friday nights.