Log trucks

Page 2 / 2
dent, Mar 26, 7:55am
Probably be easier to learn more in the day being able to see more of whats going on.

brigette6, Mar 26, 7:56am
Ok thanks guys. I will go see some managers when i can. sounds like i may have to take some annual leave.

forest76, Mar 26, 8:00am
hope i havnt scared u off your dream job now lol

brigette6, Mar 26, 8:06am
You havent. i appreciate your input

poppajn, Mar 26, 8:55am
Good luck from one,s who,se just had to give it up due to health. It,s a great life, loved every minute of the challenge.

aktow, Mar 27, 4:42am
the trucking industry in new zealand is a bloody joke.firms buy expensive trucksbut want to pay thedrivers peanuts. it takes skill and experience to drive a big rig,i drove a small tow truck and occasionally a truck and car trailer unit but i would never call myself a truck driver. sure i had skill reversing up twisting driveways and getting cars out of tight spaces, but a real truck driver has to reserve in far narrower driveways and hasto use only his side mirrors.
the big problem with trucking company owners is,, they do not appreciate how good a driver has to be and most drivers are not treated as professional drivers. to pay a driver $17 - $30 is a joke.

brigette6, Apr 2, 6:11am
So i went and saw waimea contract carriers today. they told me that they have hired people with no trailer experience in the past. i was told that they didnt have any positions available at present but they gave me an application form to fill out. i asked about going out with one of the nightshift drivers to see what the job was like and they were keen to let me go out. so i will go and do that and then its just a waiting game really

joker9377, Apr 2, 8:16am
The trucking industry isnt a joke. If you dont like the wages/employer you currently work for get another job, if you can. Theres plenty of work and top money out there for guys who are steady and turn up everyday. If a driver who thinks he is a professional is getting treated badly, leave. Its that simple.

outbidyou2, Apr 2, 8:33am
same with any profession really

memyselfandi3, Apr 4, 4:56am
Ive been doing logging for about 15yrs now and I love it, the bad things about it is the early starts and long cold and wet days in winter but great sunny days in summer. The pay at the start is not so great but after a yr or so it can be good money. As for backing a trailer in the logging industry I have backed my trailer about 10 times, since you carry your trailer into the bush on the back of your truck there is no need to back it.
All in all have a positive attitude and enjoy what you do, Logging is a good job. Keep it safe. Pat

brigette6, Apr 4, 5:13am
Thanks for all the info guys. i went out with one of the log carriers today and got offered a job. i start in 2 weeks on dayshift

cheviot, Apr 4, 6:20am
Well done.I hope you enjoy the new job.

dent, Apr 4, 6:23am
Well done good to hear enjoy the new challenge.

poppajn, Apr 4, 6:23am
Great new,s brigette; you;re about to start "Liveing the Dream"

frankenstine, Aug 14, 4:41am
worked for waimea contract carriers for awhile in the hancocks crew. was awsome heap of challangers ,plus they do look after you if you work. wish i still worked there as i miss it but now build NFL roads.