1966 Pontiac Laurentian

Page 1 / 3
grandmasue1, May 10, 3:42am
Last night my Mr. and I watched the Whangamata Beach Hop on Central TV. We did not see a Pontiac Laurentian on there. Are these not popular as classics!
We own one, road legal and almost original. Ours was NZ assembled and it has been in our family 40+ years.
Wondering if there are many others out there!

bellky, May 10, 3:50am
There's a few around allright.

paulap, May 10, 3:51am
I have seen a few recently.

sifty, May 10, 3:58am
yep, know of a couple locally. One passed on to his son by original owner who had it from new.

grandmasue1, May 10, 4:04am
Where did you see them!

We need to insure ours and not sure where or what value to put on it.
The Mr. can't drive it anymore and I don't really want too, but son wants to take usand 97 yr old Granny out in it occasionally.

bellky, May 10, 4:06am
Really depends on condition - could be worth 20k.

Put a pic up.

mlh19658, May 10, 4:16am
We had a Cougar, 69, 351, C6 auto. Insurance required a registered valuation. No valuation, no cover.

bellky, May 10, 4:18am
Classic Cover Insurance are sweet and gave me a quote for insurance without valuation.

poppajn, May 10, 4:21am
I worked with a guy that had a 6 cylinder one.

grandmasue1, May 10, 4:43am
Thanks for the link.no ours would not be canary yellow.ours has the original paint.forestgreen I think it is called, all upholstery is original and no holes but we did get the seat of the frontseatresprung and it is a very close match. No obvious rust,and with a cut and polish the paintwork should be shiny. I was thinking maybe our son could plan ahead for next years Beach Hop and take his Missus and kids for a very special day out. His Mr 6 already strokes the car and says, "good-bye Ponty, one day I will drive you!."
On the personal front. we are getting by.just. Do you still come over to cambridge Market days *flagheaven*!

sifty, May 10, 4:49am
283 and powerglide!

grandmasue1, May 10, 5:29am
Yes says the Mr, who can't come on here himself.
The truth is the Mr. does not fit behind the wheel and we are not sure how to adapt it, possibly a smaller Steering wheel, but what kind.!
He reckons he would be the happiest man in the world if he could drive it again.

ladatrouble, May 10, 5:35am
The right hand drive American cars were built in Canada, and were the same as their versions - that's why the Pontiac has French names, Laurentian and Parisienne. They are a badged Chev - the American Pontiac was wide body. They did the same with Chrysler - Canadian and NZDodge was a badged Plymouth.

grandmasue1, May 10, 5:56am
ours is definitely NZ assembled, at Hutt valley at general Motors. We have researchedthis. We always thought it was Canadian assemled but duaghter researched it somwhere on the Web for last fathers day and we discovered it was assembled at The Hutt.

sandypheet, May 10, 6:10am
I know of one in Rotorua.

grandmasue1, May 10, 6:59am
Shiny Black one!

retrohunter, May 10, 7:22am
One here in Thames owned by a mate

grandmasue1, May 10, 7:25am
That is good to hear, so there is several around the region.

ralphdog1, May 10, 7:26am
Mate had one in the 80's. It was known as the Ark Royal.
Fantastic party bus it was.

NZTools, May 10, 9:24am
There is a very origional Laurentian floatingaround chch, around a mate of mine lurcks around Manapori in a jet blackParisienne.

rob_man, May 10, 9:36am
They were quite numerous through the 60s and 70s due to having been assembled here. They were also a bit of a one-off having a Chev motor and a Bel Air dashboard. I repainted a black one in Duco in the early 80s for a funeral home, huge area of paint.

grandmasue1, May 10, 9:06pm
A funeral home in Hamilton had alight brown Pontiac Hearse.
We jusr remembered that we followed one in our Ponty when the mr's dad died.

texastwo, May 10, 9:24pm
You forgot Le Mans.

brapbrappy, May 10, 9:29pm
Dont think this is correct. Chev and Ponty may have the same base shell but there were a lot more differences than just the badge .

car27, May 10, 10:48pm
They have a similar value to a impala.A lot of the parts are interchangable,the chassis and suspension is the same
In the states they were known as a catalina