Clive Mathew-Wilson?The Lemon man.Who is this self

Page 1 / 2
scotts12, May 28, 11:09am
promoting so-called expert!What is his experience and credentials!

mm12345, May 28, 11:31am
He was a mechanic, and owned his own garage.
You!

countrypete, May 28, 7:50pm
Mathew-hyphen is a total turkey.It's embarrassing that the media give him any air whatsoever.

whqqsh, May 28, 8:13pm
he slates everything (except toyotas) & some of the best most reliable cars Ive owned hes writes off totally, it seems if any individual car has had any issue he flags it as a major design fault that ALL of that breed is cursed with. Also he doesnt take into account usage of the vehicle, some are made to be tried & true design for reliability but he complains about being 'outdated'. I dont think he takes into account the target market many vehicles are aimed at.
Remember this is the guy who reckons to avoid car theft you should leave your doors unlocked so they dont smash a 1/4 window.

pauldw, May 28, 8:26pm
He's probably available for comment not off on some sponsored junket to test the latest cars no one buys like the newspaper "experts".

tigra, May 28, 8:32pm
Trouble is some of these so-called "talking heads"tend to get used by the media simply because they are easy to get to as above poster says and the media is lazy and really doesnt care as long as they can quote an "expert".

freedomaira320, May 28, 9:06pm
He's just a guy who has an opinion based on his experience like all of us. Only difference is he was clever enough to get his opinions published. Probably a better result than droning on on these boards which is the best we can do.

carmedic, May 28, 9:10pm
Thats the word!

jason18, May 28, 9:41pm
How can 1 guy know about every car built. He is lucky there is still muppets out there that believe his dribble.And they pay too!

carmedic, May 28, 9:42pm
Jaz??

mm12345, May 28, 10:08pm
x1
I think he's okay, and much of what he says is true.
Most of the whining about him is from people who have far too much emotional involvement in cars.

sr2, May 28, 10:14pm
LOL, lights touch paper and stands well clear.!

freedomaira320, May 28, 11:38pm
Yes, I tend to agree with this. But emotional involvement with cars isn't necessarily a bad thing - it's all part of the reason why we own certain types of cars and hoe cars fit in our lives. He tends to dismiss this as an irrelevant factor.

He also talks too much in extremes - a patchy service record will earn a car a "bomb", while others are elevated to highly recommended without an awful lot of evidence. The truth is that the difference between a good and bad car is usually only a few percentage points and you can be lucky or unlucky with any model.

And while I'm on about him, the book itself is a mess (though I must confess I haven't looked at the latest issues). He has the temerity to condemn cars that aren't designed well, but is happy to publish a book that doesn't seem to have employed the services of a typographer. Really, really hard to follow.

My 2 cents.

mm12345, May 29, 12:37am
Only if the person understands that they are emotionally attached.Most people try to rationalise the reason why they bought "Model A" instead of "Model B" with very unsound reasoning. Car brand marketing campaigns are extremely effective in reinforcing that unsound reasoning.

tgray, May 29, 1:03am
He bought a TV off me once.
Came around in an old Bomb of a car and got chatting cars.
He offered to buy me a coffee and talk about a job selling his publication.
Needless to say, I never phoned him back.

freedomaira320, May 29, 1:12am
x1
Missed opportunity then. If nothing else, his publications have sold well.

jason18, May 29, 1:57am
Meh I wouldnt have my name on his publications since I dont agree with alot of what he says

kazbanz, May 29, 2:26am
Have you actually read what he has written! Check the section on mazda or mitsubishi. -a huge range of models tarred with the same brush as one bad model.

saki, May 29, 4:48am
What do you expect for someone who drives a Morris Oxford.

3tomany, May 29, 4:58am
buying a car is an emotional decision for most if it werent we wouldnt replace the last one at all. no reason to buy the most reliable car out there if driving it bores you to death. i have two very reliable cars and one that needs lots of money chucked at it to keep it on the road and guess which car everyone in the family loves to drive the most it aint the reliable ones

kcf, May 29, 5:21am
writes some of the funniest fiction I've ever read.Good laugh, real page turner.

moosie_21, May 29, 6:25am
Haha yeah I mistakenly bought a Dog and Lemon guide to my '93 Celica. Said to avoid like the plague. 4 1/2 years later with 45,000kms on it and absolutely no major problems or repair costs, always been great to drive. IMO, he's a media-w***e

elshaun, May 29, 6:30am
Same. Soon after purchasing a XR6 coon 2001 @ 18,000 km in 2002 I read his D&L guide report and thought "what have I done!"Now in 2012, same car, 231,386km and apart from service items, has cost me a right hand front wheel bearing at $98.00.

zephyrheaven, May 29, 7:38am
Picked up a book of his for $1 at a boot sale, been very amusing reading - about 5% of its true thus far & Im about 3/4 of the way thru lol

johnf_456, May 29, 9:19am
You must be a patient man to be able to read 75% of a book written by him. Any other interesting conclusions zephyrheaven!