Swapping vin, plates and tags

Page 4 / 4
shuddupowh, Jul 17, 1:05am
Actually, I think you misread my post cos I misread yours. You said no scribes on the back window, thats irrelevant cos anybody can change their window so they cant use that for checking numbers -I am talking about the number inprinted on the firewall (pop your bonnet on any of your cars and you will see what I mean).

trader_84, Jul 17, 1:23am
Mate, Hiluxs have ID on the chassis. They all do. I've done a heap of them . as owned wrecked etc. They are easy to change too if you can weld. The normal way plod goes about identifying a 'ringer' if suspects it is one is by using a POV cam down inside the chassis rail. The ride around against this is to tack a piece of sheet inside the chassis rail so the POV can't get past or I have heard of dudes lopping a 1/4 of the chassis rail off and swapping them over.

trader_84, Jul 17, 1:29am
Kaz, is there a cut off date or age of a vehicle or something you can't import now! I heard there was but never took any interest. Whats the go there!

chebry, Jul 17, 1:29am
My 59 Hillman has matching chassis engine numbers and was NZ assembled so it does happen

splinter67, Jul 17, 3:28am
Note to self dont buy car from trader-84 LOL

kazbanz, Jul 17, 3:43am
To clarify a bitYou can IMPORT anything of any age you like.
But cars must have a 3 didget emmission code in order to be allowed on the road in New Zealand legally. --This is ignoreing the conversations above and any decisions based on that

lookoutas, Jul 17, 5:52am
I've never seen one - "Where is it!"
I need to know.
Hell - we've fitted SH chassis' - bodies onto chassis'
No hanky-panky crap tho. Like I said - done honestly - what's the problem!

trader_84, Jul 17, 6:57am
Mate, look behind the right front wheel at the chassis. Its right there facing you. All of the luxy pickups and surfs are serial numberd rit there. In addition, there will be a stamped number on top of the radiator slam panel and bringing it all together will be the 2 tags that are held on by rivets on the top portion of the firewall. Whats the problem! None here dude. This is why you see good prices being paid for old lux's that have seen better days but are still live.in the system. They will be parted out to recoupe the price paid for them but their most redeeming feature will be kept - to breathe new life into a project . and thus bypassing all of the entities that have their hands out as part of the LVV gravy train.