Swapping vin, plates and tags

Page 3 / 4
wimwom, Jul 12, 6:53am
If a form like that ever existed Kazbanz who on earth would ever buy or import a damaged vehicle and go through the process of repair certs and vinning!I'm awaiting the reply, if there is one.
Been around the game in various degrees for a few years now and have never heard this stuff before, always happy to learn about something new though!

joanie32, Jul 12, 7:32am
Go for it mate.

richynuts, Jul 12, 7:44am
True ^^^ done this with a motorbike and used a frame bought in from aussie, paper work just said 'new donor frame' they used the old vin plate from crashed bike.

bellky, Jul 12, 7:48am
Yep, common sense and real life experience prevails - as well as the references I provided earlier. They all point in the same direction. Pity the nay sayers have to swim against the tide.

lookoutas, Jul 12, 7:48am
When we fit a new slam-panel to a Hi-Lux, the number disappears. And if it gets a second-hand one - it gets a new number that doesn't match!

We had a similar discussion on the weekend. Fitting a Mustang out with a Dynacorn body, leaves it without the VIN # stamped in the inner guard.
"Easy fix" was my input - just cut the original # out and weld it into the new body.
We don't do this on a Hi-Lux, coz the Insurance Co's won't pay for it to be done. And ya not allowed to weld a slam panel anyway.

There was a bunch of little unVINable Suzuki trucks that came into the country not long ago. These were sold as farm off-road only vehicles, but I know of farmers who had stuffed old ones that have suddenly become new and shiny looking.

kazbanz, Jul 12, 8:49pm
Think about this carefully-How many wrecked 99 surf diesels,hiace vans in diesel,landcruiser prado's etc are there. and what is the demand for a good example amongst the tradesmen and people wanting diesel 4x4's !
So if it was legal wouldn't dealers be busy buying up wrecks here and useing them to create an identity for vehicles that can no longer be imported to put on the road!

kazbanz, Jul 12, 8:55pm
now just to clarify as I origonally posted. what you CANdo and even in total innocence DO do is beside the point.
Its against the law to prevent villains illegaly reinventing vehicles.
I go to invergiggle and steal a callais -ship it to auckland and swap all the identity numbers onto it from a written off callais I bought at auction. then get it recomplied. That is why its illegal -And to stop people doing what I proposed above

wimwom, Jul 12, 9:08pm
BUTVTNZ have a form and it's only $30.LOL.

wimwom, Jul 12, 9:10pm
You did it properly using the form from VTNZ yet you wont post the form number or any information about the vehicles you have done it with !Just put up the hilux registration number, what have you got to lose!

lordv81, Jul 12, 9:28pm
How does it stop or prevent the criminals!

supernova2, Jul 12, 9:47pm
I'm confused (yes I know that normal!).Is the question simply can I take a reg/wofed vehicle and replace just about every body panel and use the ole vin, plates etc.If that is the question why do you have to have it "recomplied"!As for the VTNZ form mentioned.Would that be the form (I dont know the number) that is used to update engine numbers etc!

kcf, Jul 12, 10:34pm
Comparing a Hilux with an identity on the chassis (seperate) and the body, is not greatly useful when comparing to a unibody car where there is no seperate chassis.They are two very different cases.

bellky, Jul 12, 10:36pm
That is a point BUT they are still only components that make up a complete road going vehicle.

joanie32, Jul 12, 11:25pm
You offered mate. I can't remember the rego of every car I've worked on in the last 30 years. Go on mate make a name for yourself!

wimwom, Jul 12, 11:48pm
Spoke with 'sharman" at local VTNZ. No such form exists, vehicle being hilux or otherwise would need to be recomplied as a new vehicle or in some cases
low volume cert as a scratch built. VTNZ have never had such a form as mentioned earlier.I checked this wit main VTNZ here in dunedin, name of person i spoke with is above if anyone wants to check.IT CANT BE DONE!

wimwom, Jul 13, 12:27am
Your property has a title, you have a name and your car has a chassis/vin number, just like your car all those things have a legal document stating those things. You cant just change a legal document to suit yourself.

joanie32, Jul 13, 12:58am
Good on ya mate, you and sharman will be very happy together.

wimwom, Jul 13, 1:05am
She's a nice chic.Exactly the response i expected.Good thing it's not me who has made aname for myself.We know now where the "rubbish" you talk of was coming from !Roll on the personal attacks now!

joanie32, Jul 13, 1:13am
Lighten up dude, I have had success doing something you say can't be done, no skin off my nose. When I need to do another one I will find out if anything has changed. Cheers buddy

wimwom, Jul 13, 1:23am
Hey mate, no stress to me either. What worries me is it's school holiday time, we get lots of wannabe petrol heads on here, kids that might see a dereg car and take what you have said as gospel and go ahead and do what you've said.That's not good no matter how you package it.I'm sure you agree!
Nothing has changed, never ever has been legal, no form.Over and out.

bellky, Jul 13, 2:16am
Whatever wimwom.

bellky, Jul 13, 9:20pm
'Wannabe petrol heads' lol. How ironic. Your argument(s) so far consist of almost nothing. The best you could do is phone VTNZ and speak to someone about a non existant form and you think you've won. Well you haven't and really you don't know what you're talking about.
Firstly read these if you haven't:
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-entry-cert/docs/pre-reg-vin-3.pdf http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-entry-cert/docs/pre-reg-and-vin-4-vin-affixing-v3a4.pdf

Now. My definition of legal is a vehicle that is registered, licenced, and warranted. Any other definition is nana nonsense.

My particular interest in cars is pre 1980 Mazda Rotaries. Now here are some real world examples that I know of:
- An Rx2 on original rego that has tag but no chassis stamp (this is not uncommon apparently).
- An Rx3 that is on og rego that has an STC (808) chassis # on its rego.
- An Rx2 that has no chassis stamp (that I could find) and a homemade chassis tag only.
- An Rx2 on og rego that has an SNA (616) chassis.
- Numerous Rx3s that are on og rego that have had a VIN number attached and on rego.
All these cars are rego'd, licenced, and warranted. They are legal. This is New Zealand, the best country in the world.

snoopy221, Jul 13, 9:29pm
Yip bugga when ya gotta cut out a bit of rust on a panel with numbers and weld in another panel.
[Just get ole Sgt Schultz from Hogans Heroes ta weld it.
I Know NOTHING.]

lookoutas, Jul 13, 10:39pm
A hi-Lux doesn't have an ID on the chassis - it's on the body.

Kas mention making it illegal to combat the crooks. Then someone mentioned that it won't stop them.
So why should it stop someone honest like me!

Someone I know brought a classic that had been raced, rolled bowled & arseholed, and full of rust. The best and most economic way to restore that car was to find a good donor body rather than finish up with a bogged & patched up dog.
That was the advise he got, and he took it.

The discussion over the Dynacorn body I mentioned in a previous post, resulted in a confession that one guy would have been better off buying a 15K Dynacorn for his Mustang rather than spending 30K to have his fixed.

shuddupowh, Jul 17, 1:03am
So you are saying it only has the chassis tag which is issued by the manuacturer! My E30 has no VIN tag, only a scribe in the firewall, always passes WOFs so I was thinking along the lines that the firewall number must match the system! So if I was to shave and smooth out my engine bay (covering up the scribed number) as long so the VIN tag & chassis tags are shown then its fine! Just curiousties sake.