Going from a 4L to a 2L

Page 1 / 3
jethrosmum, Jul 10, 9:01am
Hi there, just wondering if this would be a wise move, or should I go to a 1.5L! as in, is a 2L going to stil be a gas guzzler! Thanks

johnf_456, Jul 10, 9:07am
Depends on what 4l you have and what 2L you want to go to.

jethrosmum, Jul 10, 9:08am
oh ok, I currently have a Ford Falcon BA model XR6 and looking at going to a 2L Toyota Caldina

brokebloke1, Jul 10, 9:11am
My sister had one of these it used same amount of fuel as our AU2 XR6
we both went up to picton her car used about the same gas as mine.
stick with the falcon

asa50, Jul 10, 9:12am
Open road or city driving! Open road bugger all difference, city considerabledifference

jethrosmum, Jul 10, 9:18am
wow ok thanks heaps people! ummm we live in the country, takes 20ks gas just to take child to school and back once. And doing that twice a day, plus again at night for karate practise, well yeah.am currently using about $200 gas per week and its killing us!

grangies, Jul 10, 9:18am
If you want true economy then you need a small engined car, with a smallcar body to match.

trogedon, Jul 10, 9:20am
Yeah, go to say 1500cc and manual as more open road. Sure, it'll seem a little underpowered at times but most of the time it'll be fine.

skin1235, Jul 10, 9:25am
seriously those figures don't add up, all you've got is 600km per week
even a v8 at full noise will get better than 3km per $ = 1.5 km per lt
for 600 km per week expect $120 in the coon, maybe $95 in a 2lt, and not a lot less in a 1500, but I suspect you're actually doing a lot more than the 600km per week

suggest you note the trip meter every day for a couple of weeks, it may help with the fuel explanation

jethrosmum, Jul 10, 9:30am
Ahh sorry yeah thats our mundane daily stuff we have to do, we also have to travel into Auckland twice a week and that costs at least $50 each time

skin1235, Jul 10, 9:38am
I had a niggling thought there may be more to it, and could half remember why too
sorry to hear the regular trips still have to occur, is that ever going to end in a nice way
excuse me if I have it wrong, I recall you do a fantastic but thankless task in caring for your son!
meanwhile back to fuel economy, there are vehicles with better economy than falcons, but there is not a lot in it, and it does depend on the way you drive, for some they can drive a falcon (lightfoot) and get better figures than another in a 1200cc vehicle( heavyfoot)

v8_mopar, Jul 10, 9:48am
Yea I'm with the its how you drive it point

My falcon has a 72 litre tank and I can just get from Christchurch to Dunedin on that the way I want to drive but if I just take it easy I can get from CH-CH to Dunedin and back to Ashburton on the one tank. That"s just about half the amount of gas

jethrosmum, Jul 10, 9:50am
Gosh, no dont apologize, it was my fault for not explaining properly! And thanks so much for your kind words :) na i dont think its gana end anytime soon. Took my mums 1.5 toyota hatchback into Aucks yesterday, stopped at slyvia park and manukau city, and was only 20 buks gas, couldnt believe it aye, its like wow i stil have $30 cash left, yipee lol. Thanks for the engine advice to you and the ohter posters, it has been a really great help. I am gana miss my car, but not the gas consumption! I always drive at 100k's im not a lead foot, but man it has get up and go when you want it.

cybertrades, Jul 10, 9:56am
Ive got a 1999 Nz new Nissan Pulsar lz 1600cc manuaI and get over 600 km around town and the odd drive down the expressway out of a full tank which is 39 litres.This is in the flat Papamoa Mt Maunganui areas. Is this quite good economy it seems so!

morrisman1, Jul 10, 10:07am
yea nothing wrong with that. A workmate has a 1.6L manual pulsar 1998 and finds it incredibly economical. My 1991 model 1.6 manual gets around 480km to a tank around town and just over 600km on the open road, takes about 45 to fill. Happy with it on the open road, I feel it could be better around town but considering its 21 years old and had 300,000km on it, I shoudn't be too fussy

skin1235, Jul 10, 10:10am
this one maybe a bit long jethrosmum
are you getting all available funding, most should be at least assisted for (jethro!)
I had a grandson who contracted meningitis at 3 mths, left him with no motor functions and a life expectancy of less than 3 months, we (wife and I - even longer story why his parents wouldn't/couldn't step up) took him home from the hospital after they had done all they could, with their prediction of less than 3 mths ringing in our ears and hearts
He was on massive drug dosages for various things, so stoned he could just moan that horrid moan of the terrible brain damaged, any parent who has heard that will know exactly the sound and how deep it can pierce
It took us nearly 6 mths to get his nasal gastro tube out and begin feeding him by spoon, in that time we had reduced his drugs to barely a third of the initial prescribed levels, and his moaning stopped, he was mentally blind, supposedly mentally deaf ( no motor functions meant he could not respond to stimulus of any kind - or control his own body or it's functions)
He began gaining weight, and continued to live, he had a chuckle now rather than a moan, and it was for certain people and stimulus
We went through some fairly hefty life changes, and cashflow changes too, he was 24 hr care ( and that meant someone was with him, fully awake, every hour of every day, with just 2 of us that meant quit working and take on caring, 12 hr shifts for me then 12 more for my wife
cashflow ceased, no assistance was forthcoming, life was hell for us as well as he
18 mths into this things broke - well I broke, a few rules about being courteous etc, and started roaring rather loudly, some of which was heard by those it was aimed at, and low and behold nearly $400 per week was suddenly found to have been overlooked
Huge relief and rebuild the by now shattered family

skin1235, Jul 10, 10:17am
we found, all drugs were refundable ( $130 per week ) , all consultation fees, ( $23 per time), all travel costs for doctors visits and hospital appointments ( simple service station receipt stapled to doctors or hospital note of the day) respite care was provided ( 30 days annum) and an amazing amount of support on a personal basis
( make absolutely sure all the possible fundings are being received)

Our youngun died in a minor car jolt at 6 yr of age, he had quite pronounced hydrocephali ( enlarged skull ) and it could not take the sudden jolt of a skid and graze a bank

sitting here just thinking - he was 6 and he died 11 years ago, it feels like yesterday

jethrosmum, Jul 10, 10:24am
oh skin1235 what an ordeal you have been through! im so sorry to hear of that, its a right mission at times isnt it! good on you and your wife for stepping up and taking on the responsibility, you sound to be such loving, caring people, I hope things start getting easier eventually!
On the other hand I might not be the right person youre thinking of! my missions are more to do with my best friend having cancer (at 29yrs old) and the turmoil surrounding that, also heavily involved with mine and hubby's kids court cases against the other parents :(

jethrosmum, Jul 10, 10:28am
Oh no! i have tears in my eyes after reading that, there are no words, I am so sorry for your loss.
My husband lost his daughter a few hours after birth and the pain of loosing a child is immense! he now has her name tattooed on his wrist with hearts around it.

sw20, Jul 10, 10:35am
Think about the cost of the depreciation and the cost to switch vehicles. Many times someone has traded down, but actually put money into the purchase price of the smaller car. A year down the track, the smaller car has depreciated faster than the original large car, and you end up much much worse off, you just don't see it every week.

skin1235, Jul 10, 10:37am
that thought also occored later, lol, that I had you confused with another
never mind, we all do what we will for friends, family and acquaintances
but it would seem you are footing some large burdens in the cash department as a result
Life is harder the more you care about others, in your case though I would take some very big differences to be evident before changing vehicles, any fuel savings would take some serious time to recover against cost of a smaller engined vehicle purchase

Hint, have you tried dropping that 100 to 95, surprise yourself, another $20 less per week at the pumps

yes some things got a little easier over time, then the wife was diagnosed with emphysema and not expected to survive another 3 years, that was 9 yrs ago, and the caring shifted to just me, for her
If you don't laugh life will kill ya, and life goes on, the wife is still able to live a slightly subdued but full life/day, her biggest worry is not the lungs but the amount of work her heart has to do to keep her going
while she has her medications on the bad days and keeps using her exercising, and her nightly hookup to an oxy machine she will keepon keeping on, I get a bit of time to relax on here, and tomorrow the sun will rise again

jethrosmum, Jul 10, 10:40am
Hmmm food for thought!

jethrosmum, Jul 10, 10:45am
Geez life really has a way of kicking you in the ass aye, and yet you still can find the positives amongst the darkness. yes shall be a beautiful day tomorrow, I will visit my friend to get as much time with her as possible, I dont think she has long left. Sending love and healing white light to you, all the best, if you wana ever chat, come find me in general, thats where i usually am, getting annihialted by them lol

skin1235, Jul 10, 10:50am
ahhh, careless, carefree, and definitely not of a serious nature over there, mind you sometimes thats what is required

supernova2, Jul 10, 12:35pm
We have a 2L hatch.On average we geat about 4-500km to the tank bit of city bit of open road etc.Just recently have done the same open road running twice on 2 different tanks.First time round did the ususal 105 or so the second time werent in a hurry and toodled along at about 95.Got nearly 600 out of that tank full.Just goes to show that extra bit of speed uses a lot of fuel.remember reading a handbook once that said opening the windows will add 5% to your fuel consumption.Just remember the cost of changing a vehicle can equal an aweful amount of petrol.I'd be inclined to keep the tyres pumped up - since you do a bit of open road I'd put thuem up a couple of PSI.Lift the foot just a fraction and you might be pleasently surprised how much further you can go per tank.