How do they get away with it?

Page 1 / 2
cowboy110, Jul 16, 8:30am
Need to replace the electric thermo fans on my 2006 VZ SV8.The bearings have gone in both fans and while they still work they vibrate like a b#$tard.So phone the local Holden dealer.The 2 individual fans will set me back $900.No shroud.Take the old fans out, put the new ones in.$1500 if I want the fans AND new shroud.BTW, none in the country so will have to get them in from Oz. Well, after I stopped laughing I went online. Contacted Nationwide Auto Parts in Australia.Can supply the complete bolt in/plug in replacement unit (fans and shroud) delivered to my doorfor NZ$385. Didn't ask if it was genuine Holden parts cos at that price it doesn't matter.The photo is exactly the same as what I've got in my car.

NZTools, Jul 16, 8:35am
Its 6 years old and both fans are shagged!

tigra, Jul 16, 9:09am
Dont make'em like they used to

extrayda, Jul 16, 9:14am
Similar thing with my 97 Nissan Cefiro - fans wobbly / vibrating.Nissan said $400 each per fan, plus fitting etc.Got a 2nd hand radiator with both fans on for $80, swapped the fans in, all good (still fine).On-sold the radiator !Also got quoted about $455 for a new electric mirror.Picked up 2 brand new ones off trade me for $100, swapped the backs of them and fitted on.Sold my old ones.Car manufacturers seem to absolutely shaft you for genuine parts.Must be at least a 100% markup!

andrewph, Jul 16, 9:19am
Go through your mechanic and try 'civic wholesale' they have a great range of fans and fan motors and will probably have the one that fits. They dont deal with the public. trade only.

mantagsi, Jul 16, 10:12am
I've dealt with Civic Wholesale before, I used to help them out with refrigerant. If it is the same Civic Wholesale I am thinking of they are all bloody good types, I would have no worries dealing with them!

friendly_prawn, Jul 16, 10:19am
madnes. Absolute madness.
It's a wonder they ever sell any.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 10:19am
I have found anything bought through Holden to be absolutely stupid price wise of late. Be it Volvo, Vauxhall or whatever if they control the brand and think they have a bit of a monopoly they are just taking the piss on pricing.

Likewise pricing on servicing the likes of Volvo, at least in my area.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 16, 10:21am
They sell them because there are so many sheep in this country who can't think for themselves let alone do some basic math. They get ripped off by dealers like this and then blame the car. Sad but true.

saxman99, Jul 16, 10:34am
Rotor arm for BMW $75 NZ from dealer. Same genuine Part from eBay seller in Florida $12US + shipping.

outbidyou2, Jul 16, 10:39am
amazing, thats truly amazing

russ18, Jul 16, 7:27pm
Dead glow plug controller in a 24 volt Nissan Safari, $700 + $500 for a new relay which was a required upgrade!
Pulled the old controller apart and found a heat discoloured patch on the circuit board, in it was a diode and 2 resistors, all had dry joints and one of the resistors was burnt out, 20 cents later she's all fixed.
Will probably happen again in another 15 years.

bashfulbro, Jul 16, 7:35pm
I know what you mean
I needed a handbrake cable for a VZ,,,,in NZ cheapest was $100 with gst. i got it on Ebay AU, Genuine Holden part, brand new.for $40.

another rip wasball joints for a Dodge Ram. To buy in NZ. $150 each, soset of 4 was $600 NZ.I bought the 4 of them on Ebay for US $32 ,,plus US$50for freight, so got the lot delivered in 5 days for NZ $ 103.00

Buy NZ.yeah right !

mm12345, Jul 16, 11:46pm
Just so that there's a record of this, you'd be doing Safari/Patrol owners a favour by posting details on http://patrol4x4.com/forum/ and/or http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/
A problem that I've had with Nissan Safari Parts, is that the local dealer doesn't seem to have good access to records of parts that they have - ie if you want some panhard bushes (OEM rubber rather than Nolathane), then they can only "find" a complete panhard rod with bushes for $$$. The part diagram doesn't show a separate part # for the bushes.But if you have the part number to give them, lo and behold, they carry these in stock in NZ, and they're cheap ($28 a pair, IIRC).

primemeat, Jul 17, 12:11am
Genuine wheel trim for a 07 Toyota Avensis wagon $104 +GST each. Found a set at Repco identical without the Toyota symbol for $35 for the 4 of them.

rob_man, Jul 17, 12:45am
The Toyota emblems might be removeable, have you checked!

elect70, Jul 17, 2:15am
Well made GMHquality product6 years &stuffedEvenfans on myold 22year old disco still work & it goes throughsaltwater &rivrers regulary

mopsy3, Jul 18, 3:02am
Ooops. Civic Wholesale have just gone into receivership.

twink19, Jul 18, 3:32am
oil filter from Holden $114.00 made in China,BNT $18.00 made in Europe

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 18, 3:51am
You've got to give them that. they certainly know how stupid their customers are!

2get1, Jul 18, 7:21am
They called a stealership for a reason. They want $110 for an oil filter fior a diesel nitro, I can get 2 of them from UK including freight for less than that. They really should pull their heads in a realise that with the web, they cant charge 1000% mark up

zephyrheaven, Jul 18, 7:36am
The only astounding thing in this thread thus far as that everyone thinks those fancy showrooms / hot receptionists / mechanics dressed in the finest money can buy let alone the salesmen all pays for itself! Its YOU that pays ya mugs - the people on the ground dont pay for it out of their own wages remember!!

Mwah ha ha ha

zephyrheaven, Jul 18, 7:44am
Ah Cockram Nissan, reason numero uno I would never own a N badged motor car - the worst parts dept in the history of automotive repair, but wait there is more - they sell things on trademe cheaper than someone with a credit account can buy them for over the counter! win win

zephyrheaven, Jul 18, 7:44am
Ah the local dealership - , reason numero uno I would never own a N badged motor car - the worst parts dept in the history of automotive repair, but wait there is more - they sell things on trademe cheaper than someone with a credit account can buy them for over the counter! win win

incar., Jul 18, 7:59am
It would be interesting to see what the annual repair maintenance costs are for the police vehicles (Holden) I think they should run all Toyota Camry, Aurion etc, but jazz would suggest otherwise??